Glebe Point YHA Hostel

The Glebe Point YHA has all the amenities that YHA hostels in Australia usually do; it is very clean, well-run, has large social spaces and is high on security. Dorm rooms all have a locker (locks can be bought at reception) for each bed. There is also a sink in each dorm room. Bunk beds are not the best: ladders to the top are inaccessible and the bottom ones are really low, no space to sit. The bathroom facilities, while clean, could be larger; there is only one sink in each bathroom and it's in one of the shower stalls, so if you want to wash your hands after using the toilet, you have to return to your room.

The hostel is not a particularly social one and seems to cater to an older and family-based crowd. But there are some planned activities (BBQs in the lovely rooftop area, for example, which has a great view of Glebe and Sydney). The rooms can be a bit noisy in the mornings as they open out onto windows that connect via an open area to the roof, so any noise that people make while eating up on top comes down directly into the rooms. The kitchen and indoor eating area are of adequate size, with plenty of fridge space. There is a large TV room with lots of sofas and a book exchange. There's also a games room with a pool table and video games that is open twenty-four hours a day. A small internet cafe is available on site as well.

The location for the hostel is the best part, right in the heart of Glebe, a lovely neighbourhood and a change from the central core of Sydney, but not too far from all the activities in the city proper. There are lots of lovely architecture and walking opportunities in the area, and good cafes, restaurants and shopping, including weekly markets.

March 2005
How is Glebe Point YHA Hostel rated on other websites?
Glebe Point YHA Hostel Reviews from the Web
4   Good but can do better I had a pretty good time there especially due to its quiet location and proximity to public transportation, shops and a very nice cafe. However staff was not especially welcoming and the showers can be improved. Otherwise it is clean but it lacks of decoration to feel really at home. Anyway I would recommend it to a friend.  , age 26, France ()
3   Could be better Room was too hot. Bed wasnt ready when i arrived. Got a bedbug bite here. Kept tripping on the floor level difference between hall carpet and washroom floor. shower stalls messy. very very annoying to not have access to food storage after hours. pool is not worth mentioning. need power supply in lockers.  , canadian ()
5   Great place I loved this place so much that i returned here the second time that i came back to sydney. It is clean and has nice staff. I would return if i ever go back to sydney. it is a bit out of town, but has a excellent bus service.  , norway ()
3   Very good accommodation and facilities, but some stuck up long termers I stayed here for two weeks while in Sydney, and I cant fault the reliable, excellent accommodation and facilities that YHA provides, but boy did I meet some stuck up reception staff and long termers staying here, that I dont want to knock the hostel because I did meet some brilliant people, but they were in and out of it within a few nights. Apart from the guy at night times on reception, who did his best to make sure I was comfortable, the others were just interested in going out drinking and walking into their shifts hung over. Also, if you dont want to meet some arrogant long termers with bad attitudes who constantly stare you out when your a newbie or make comments behind your back, I would avoid this place. I checked out after 3 nights, and glad I did as I found a more welcoming place. Let down for a good hostel.  , England ()
5  An excellent hostel -- exceptionally clean and comfortable, and the free film night isn't bad either.  ()
5  This is a decent hostel where you won't find any quibbles except for the pillows, which are a bit hard.  ()
5  I lived here for just under 3 months and it had a great atmosphere and a place to live. The staff have probably changed now but when I was there they were some of the best people I met whilst travelling from the UK. You get a nice view of the harbour bridge from the roof. And I must say that Glebe is one of the best places to live in Sydney, what with the cosmopolitan atmosphere and the relaxed feel to the area. Plus you have the Toxteth Hotel and the Different Drummer within a 10 minute walk from the hostel. I thoroughly recommend this hostel.  ()
5  Hey guys! Claire here :) Mum and I just spent the last week there. All were so friendly, helpful and made my trip that much better! Next time I'm over that way I'll definitely be heading there! Luv Claire xox  ()