Sim's Cozy Guesthouse

The best way to get to Sim's is by picking up their business card from another hostel before getting there -- it contains directions written in Chinese that explain the route to taxi drivers. It's not far from the train station but you are probably best to get a taxi on arrival and the same from the bus stations.

The staff speak excellent English and while it's a busy place they remain quite personal. Sim and his wife are always around and very helpful with any problems from broken cameras to tours, onward travel, and so on. There is a travel desk near reception to organise tours out to the Great Panda's (you can also go by local bus), Tibet permits, hostel bookings, and more. You can rent bikes from the cafe on the premises. Cute little pigs and dogs run around under your feet -- even in the eating areas -- and they serve up good coffee and meals at the bar/restaurant. Internet is available as well as washing services, a library, and you can even help yourself to left-behind clothing.

The dorms have two bunks inside -- they are very clean and roomy with plenty of room to hang your towel, put your bag on a shelf, and a small desk to write on. The toilets and showers are communal but very clean and the water is hot. There are also Asian- and Western-style toilets. They provide free maps that have both English and Chinese characters -- perfect for getting around. There are numerous communal areas so you do get to chat to people a bit, but they request quiet after 11 or 12 at night so there are not endless parties or noise.

by Jo
June 2007

How is Sim's Cozy Guesthouse rated on other websites?
3   A nice place/avoid the chinese tours I traveled China extensively during summer 2005. This place was very nice -- it is situated in a non-touristic area, the rooms are ok, and the staff is friendly. I can also recall the food as being tasty, and the prices being very reasonable. But, I had little time left in China by that point, so I ordered a trip to Juzhaigou/Sichuan horse riding at the guesthouse's agency and I was not informed that the first part of the trip was for the Chinese. Suffice to say that it was a horrible experience I will never forget. When I wanted to get money back after returning to the hostel, the owner said his hands are tied -- he is really sorry but his chinese friend is responsible for the trip, and he is also a foreigner in this country. He wanted to retain his "guanxi." The girl working at the travel agency laughed at me. I don't know if these trips have been remodeled or withdrawn -- I hope so! If you're short on time and consider taking an organized trip, remember to check if the trip is for foreigners and up to foreign standards, otherwise you will have a really bad time.  , Poland/Mexico ()
4   All rounder the Guesthouse is really more than a hostel. I admired the everything they have for travelers like us and can be friendly to our wallets for traveling and really a place for you to experience Chengdu and not in Hotels! Especially the facilities. Wireless internet huts with the see-through glass, underground man-made stream flow from one side to another hut. Lovely place for meals, the rattan chairs and for smoking and for raining days too. Not to forget the bar next to the meals seats -- From Tsing Tao beer to Bacardi Breezer, cool. meals are nice if you do not like every meal to be noodles outside and bbq meats. Once in a while BBQ nights are thoughtful too! shower room with hand cleanser and fruits in room topped up everyday -- so nice and thoughtful. Oh Yes, once i lost my things in the room, it was found back. Really nice service and impression.  , Singaporean ()
5  Stayed at Sim's for a week in October 2006. Loved the place, atmosphere, people, cleanliness, and service. Can't begin to tell you how helpful they were. The location is excellent and safe. The food was good and Sim was great at recommending places to shop, eat, sightsee.  ()
5  I was at Sim's just last month. It definitely lives up to the hype. The place is full-service, and any typical travel need can be met there. The facilities are clean, staff are incredibly helpful, and guests are friendly and peaceful. Like others have said, this is Sim and Maki's dream. They put their whole lives into this hostel, and it shows. Be sure to call ahead and reserve a bed because, as expected, they are usually near capacity.  ()
5  I stayed in Sim's last year while travelling through China and really enjoyed the staff and the personalized service. I enjoyed it so much I decided to return to Chengdu to study Chinese and stay at Sim's while attending courses at a local university. For my two month stay I felt very much at home at Sim's and even though I stayed in the dorms (which are very reasonably priced) I never had any problems with my things or with other guests. Sim took me and helped me buy a bike and often took myself and other guests out for lunch several times. During my stay I met lots of interesting people from all over the world, including some very unique Chinese travellers. I recommend coming and staying for a while to get to know Chengdu and the delicious food that Sichuan is famous for.  ()
5  This is simply the best hostel we have stayed in all over China. Sim and Maki -- the owners -- are amazing people, and you can feel this place is their dream and their home -- they are putting all of their heart and soul in it. All of the staff members are very nice and freindly, and did all their best to help us in anything. The place is clean like no place in China, and is just full of good atmosphere and peace. The food, though, was not as good we'd heard. The chinese food there is fine, but dont be tempted to try the western -- the chinese cook doesn't know how to make it. But it doesn't matter -- dont come there for the food. This place was pure fun -- and no other place in China was even close to those standards.  ()
5  This is simply the best hostel in China. The owners are wonderful and constantly striving to improve their already perfect guesthouse. The staff are friendly and helpful and the accommodation is spotlessly clean. There is a wonderful garden with a little pond and colorful flowers - a great place to pass the day! The food is also fantastic. Don't even think about staying anywhere else in Chengdu - particularly not the poor imitations. Sim's is the original and best.  ()
5  This has to be the best hostel I've ever stayed at in China. The attention to detail is astonishing, and the kindness and helpfulness of the owners Sim and Maki is superlative. They really know what backpackers want, being former backpackers themselves. Not only that, but they ask questions of their guests about the food and other standards, in order constantly to improve their service — when have you ever seen anyone do that in China? It's also a lovely building with a nice garden, spotlessly clean and definitely "cozy." Yet all this is for the same price as other, less pleasant hostels in Chengdu. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place, and I'm booking there the moment I get back to Chengdu!  ()