Hostel Prague Tyn

The best part about Pension Tyn is its unbeatable location in Stare Mesto, three minutes from the main square. That, however, was the only outstanding feature of the place. The walls are on the thin side and the rooms are spacious, but old (some had windows that did not latch completely shut). There is an elevator, but not for claustrophobes! They provide sheets, but no towels and the pillows are atrocious. At night the rooms overlooking the courtyard never got dark. The hostel was neither clean nor dirty.

Rather disappointingly, there is no common room, kitchen, or pay phone. There is, however, an annoying key deposit. No breakfast either, but early risers (6-9 a.m.) can get a discount at Bohemia Bagel around the corner.

The staff speaks limited English, so communication might be challenging. No credit cards accepted. The price seems expensive for what you get.

Directions: Take Metro line A to Staromestka. Walk to Staromestske Nam and head down the street to the left of Tyn Church (Tynska). Make a left at the little alley before the archway. The hostel will be on your left.

March 2004
How is Hostel Prague Tyn rated on other websites?
Hostel Prague Tyn Reviews from the Web
5   Very Clean, well kept place working Wifi in all the rooms is a luxury. very large and safe personal lockers for every guest in the building. Great Location.  , age 22, USA ()
5   Great Clean and Quiet Hostel! This hostel is a gem! Located very close to the City Square, we only stayed for one night, but would have enjoyed staying longer. We stayed in a six-bed room and the hostel was so quiet I was sure we were the only room. The floors are separated into two sections with three rooms in each section -- each section has one women/men's bath and shower. The beds are very comfortable, a great experience! The reception are very friendly and helpful, and offered to assist in finding locations on a map. Also, towels are free, and large! The women's shower room was heated.  , age 28, USA ()
4  I travelled to Prague by myself in March, and stayed in Tyn for five nights. I have no complaints. The hostel is in a safe, central location. Beds were good, and the room includes a very large locker. There is no breakfast or common room, but I met people in my room and on other floors easily. Additionally, there are plenty of inexpensive restaurants and internet cafes nearby. The Indian restaurant next door is also good.  ()
4  The location is fantastic -- I felt safe coming home late at night. The lack of common room means that you are very limited in meeting people. The Indian restaurant next door is cheap and good. A great place if you are traveling with friends.  ()
4  I stayed at Hostel Tyn in July and have nothing bad to say about the place. The rooms were peaceful and were complete with lockers. One of the best sleeps I had throughout Europe was at this hostel. The showers are hot and roomy compared to many others, and the place is safe and the location is perfect. I'd stay here again if I were in Prague.  ()
3  We showed up to Prague two days earlier than we had expected, and were bombarded at the train station by people wanting to let their apartments or hostels to us. We ended up going with Hostel Tyn because we actually booked it through the money exchange place, and the price seemed reasonable for the location. There were three of us, and we really ended up enjoying the hostel. It was quiet, and nicely located to the Astronomical Clock, and near a Metro stop. There isn't any breakfast, but there is a nice little restaurant right below the hostel. The staff are somewhat helpful, except for the guy who sits behind the desk at night. His English is limited, and he doesn't seem to handle problems too well. One of my party did end up getting her purse stolen out from our room, so make sure that you lock up your room! But we didn't have a problem with the toilet lines or the queue for the shower, and we really enjoyed the microbrew taste testing at Marquis de Sade, right around the corner. I would stay here again.  ()
3  Immaculate hostel facilities with zero hostel atmosphere. The rooms are clean and safe. The staff are super friendly and helpful. The location is also amazing. But there is no common room, no breakfast, Internet, etc., that you find in a typical hostel. I probably won't stay here again, but you could definitely do worse than this place.  ()
3  The location is the definite reason to sleep here. It's located behind the Tynska church on the main square of Prague, which makes site-seeing easy and metro and bus tickets unnecessary. The rooms are clean and the beds are good, but the showers and toilets are not that clean, with lots of little annoyances like broken windows and such, and there are not enough showers in the hostel, so you can except long waiting times. The staff is ok. The main guy who runs the hostel speaks average english and is friendly, but the guy who sits at the desk at night is a bit moody and doesn't speak anything else but Czech. There's not a common room, so don't except to meet many other travellers here. Book the hostel TYN when you want a central location for an average price, not if you want to party and meet other backpackers. Nevertheless, we had a good time here.  ()