HI - San Jose - Toruma Hostel

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "HI - San Jose - Toruma Hostel" at Central Avenue, 29 and 31 Street.)

Central Avenue, 29 and 31 Street, Barrio La California, San José, San José Province, Costa Rica
9.947885, -84.063950 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.hosteltoruma.com
(506) 224-4085
(506) 224-4085

How is HI - San Jose - Toruma Hostel rated on other websites?

Average place, no free breakfast as stated. Creaky beds, no atmosphere
Paid for a private twin. Had 2 bunk beds, which were incredibly creaky. Hostel had zero atmosphere, but may have just been a quiet time. Staff spoke good English and were pretty friendly. A bit annoying when they are yelling outside your door at 6am though!! Was reasonably close to town, but there are closer. Nice building, nice swimming pool. Beer is $3 each, which seems expensive. All in all an average stay, but maybe I'm being harsh since it was $18 each per night when we were paying $10 each for nicer places in other Central American places.
Jason
(New Zealand)
2012-12-16

I´d go back with friends or family
The staff was really helpful and knowledgeable of the area and local services ... that's really important when you're a newcomer. The room was clean and included a huge dresser and comfortable couch and the availability of so many computers was a pleasant suprise. The only unfortunate issue was that the cook didn't show up for dinner, but Maria pointed out a market that I walked to in 5 minutes. It had everything I needed for the evening and the next day at a great price. The coffee that was supplied for guests the next morning was the best I've had in a long time. I'd go back. Thanks again for all the help. You're supplying a great service!
Lynne
(American)
2012-11-12
  I booked reservations for the Hostel Toruma in November of 2006, for a trip my daughters and I took in January of 2007. Upon arrival at the Hostel Toruma at 10:30 p.m. on January 9, we were informed that the Hostel Toruma was closed due to remodeling. At no time were we informed by email, phone, or snail mail that the Hostel Toruma was still being remodeled, and that our reservations were canceled. Needless to say, we were bitterly disappointed and concerned about where we were going to get a room at that time of night -- and where. Thanks for nothing Hostel Toruma. I would never book another reservation with your very unprofessional organization, nor could I possibly, in good conscience, recommend it to anyone else.
Garth Hunt
2007-05-18
  Wonderful staff and accommodation. Clean, comfortable, courteous, and very helpful. Rosa speaks excellent English and provides much interesting and useful information. There's 24-hour reception and storage access. The kitchen could use few more cooking pots and utensils. I appreciated the free Internet. Lots of informational literature. I would definitely highly recommend Hostel Toruma anytime, as it's open year around. Reasonable rates and private rooms available. I enjoyed my two-week stay very much.
Katy
2005-11-21
  This area was so safe. The staff especially is wonderful. The receptionist during the day, Rosa, was AMAZING and SO helpful. The atmosphere is homey, clean, and peaceful. We met some wonderful people there. This is the best hostel we found so far in San Jose. It's very easy to get to downtown, but far away enough that you don't have to worry about your safety.
Breanna Miller
2005-03-22
  Very safe. Very polite and helpful staff. They get to know your names, say hi and do whatever they can for you. The coffee is great — the toast not so much. The location is alright... don't bother with the KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken). You can get that at home.
Sherri Fleming
2005-01-17
  We backpacked in Central America for two months with our 10- and 11-year-old boys. This was their favorite place to stay. They said it felt like home.
Erin Riggs
2004-09-23
  Awsome place. The staff are courteous and helpful -- they go out of their way to help you do whatever you want, including wake up calls at 3 am so you can be on your bus or plane. There are lots of people to meet (especially girls) and they let you store your things there while you travel. It is right next to the mall and the security is on top of keeping you and your valuables safe. Thanks for making my stay there a great one.
Adam Pierce