Eurohostel - Helsinki

Eurohostel twin room
Eurohostel sauna
Restaurant Katajanmarja
Eurohostel entrance

HI - Helsinki - Eurohostel is a good place to stay if you're not looking for a very social hostel, as it is run more like a hotel than a backpacker's hostel. However, it is very secure and well run, and offers a number of amenities including a washer and dryer, internet access, a café, and self-service kitchens.

The hostel is located in a quiet little neighbourhood not far from the water, and is quite safe. While it is possible to walk to the centre, the hostel is also on at least two direct tram lines that run frequently between the railway station, downtown Helsinki, and the hostel. There are tram stops nearly directly outside and the hostel is extremely easy to find.

The rooms are very clean, and the dorm rooms are more like small hotel rooms than actual hostel dorms. When we booked a dorm room, we were assigned a shared, two-bed room. The rooms have large individual cupboards, which are allocated based on bed number, so only the occupant has the key to the cupboard. They provide ample storage for suitcases and clothes. Each room is accessed by key card, which also works in the bathrooms and shared kitchen. The bathrooms are quite clean and have three showers and sinks and two toilets.

The one downside to this hostel is that, as it is run more like a hotel than a hostel, there are very few common spaces. The reception area provides information on downtown Helsinki as well as two internet kiosks, but there is no real place to socialize here. There is a café, but most people seem to go in, order their meal, and then leave. There are shared kitchens with a television set on each floor that can be used as social spaces, although most people seem fairly untalkative. The nice thing about the kitchen in this hostel is that, in order to use the fridge, guests must get a key from reception to an individual box within the fridge. There is a deposit for the key, but it is returned upon check-out.

This hostel is great if you are simply looking for a place to stay while in Helsinki, and do not care whether or not you meet people. It is secure, clean, well run, and has a number of amenities. If you are looking for a social, party hostel, this is probably not the place for you!
by Taryn Jones
August 2009

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Eurohostel - Helsinki" at Linnankatu 9.)

Linnankatu 9, Helsinki, Southern Finland (Uudenmaa), Finland
60.165751, 24.969887

How is Eurohostel - Helsinki rated on other websites?

Good service and generally clean
This conveniently located hostel is (in hindsight, as public transport wasn't working when I arrived) is easy to find and use as your base from which to explore Helsinki. The facilities are generally clean, and mostly in good repair. However this is not a hostel that has seen renovation or significant maintenance in some time. It is open to all ages, and I saw significantly more older travelers than youth hostelers in my time there. The rooms are simple and neat, and linen was provided free of charge. The staff are knowledgeable with excellent English, and reception is 24 hours which proved handy. There is no communal lounge space, so there is really no "atmosphere" to speak of, which was really the only downside. Buffet breakfast is an optional 9€ extra, and while it is simple I found it convenient (and cheaper) than trying to source a good breakfast locally to the hostel on days I was trying to pack a lot in. Wifi was free for the duration of my stay, and it didn't constantly lag or log out. All in all my stay at Euro Hostel was pleasant, and I would likely use them again if I were to return to Helsinki.
Age 24, Australian
Highly recommended
Really enjoyed my stay at this hostel, the location was great. The room was great, only sharing with one other person, Really like that the lockers were so big, Kitchen was good. Staff very friendly and helpful. Not so easy to meet people, as there is no common room, but I was lucky, my roommate was lovely.
Age 59, Sydney
No common room but has kitchen
this was good. not bad. would come back again if its only on the last resort. no common room and kitchen closes 11pm every night and sauna only free between 6-9.30am every day but have to pay during the night and wifi cost 2 Euro which I didnt bother at all. Overall it's not a bad idea.
Age 35, Australia
Clean. good location, great value restaurant
No negative comments about the place. Free to come and go as you like -- as good as any hostel i've stayed in. Very convenient to downtown Helsinki, & helpful staff
Not very clean, but friendly
The staff were indeed very friendly and helpful. The sauna was fun, too. However, we as a family tried to cook meals in the kitchen and enjoy these meals. The lower kitchen was very dirty, and the upper floor kitchen was very crowded. It was difficult cleaning the place, cooking a meal, and finding a place to eat it. The toilets were extremely bad, probably because it was new year's eve of 2006. The staff responded to our complaints, promised to do more cleaning. but unfortunately we couldn't notice much improvement during our week's stay. Probably ok if you aren't going to cook. one cannot complain about the price, because it was reasonable.
Marcel Wolfe
Excellent value for money!
I stayed here from 7th April 2008 till the 10th April. The staff is genuinely friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean, adequately lit, have nice functional wardrobes and working tables. The common areas though functional need refurbishing -- in my case there was a washbasin that leaked down under wetting my feet! The restaurant serves quality breakfast for E 6.70 and in the mornings, saunas for free. In case you're wondering, the bathrooms and saunas are separate for either sex. The location's just excellent. It is a five-minute walk from the Viking terminal and the Nordic Jet line terminal. Cruise boats to Tallinn (capital of Estonia) leave very frequently -- it costs as low as E 41 if you travel on the Nordic Jet Line. The journey by NJL takes just one-and-a-half hours and by Viking three hours (it's a bigger ship). Viking will cost you as low as E 30 (including breakfast). Cruise boats also leave for Sweden. The city centre is a fifteen-minute walk. All in all, I loved this hostel!
Dr. Maajed J. Wani
Very Good
This hostel was quiet and clean. I stayed there in the winter of 2007. It was almost full then, but very quiet. I found the staff helpful and the breakfast very good. I would stay there again.
Joshua Schulze
I stayed here back in October 2004. It was fabulous. I'd just completed my three-and-a-half-week trip from Beijing by train, and desperately needed sleep and clean clothes. This place was excellent. It's only a short walk from the train station, and was pretty easy to find with my simple tourist map. The receptionist fellow was very helpful and arranged everything quickly. I shared a two-bed dorm with a girl who didn't speak English but we managed to use some sign language and such to effect a reasonable conversation. They have a very nice cafeteria/restaurant area downstairs which was neat and well-staffed. The food was good.

Rate Eurohostel - Helsinki