Abalone Beach House

How is Abalone Beach House rated on other websites?
5   High standards at a low price Stayed at this place in august 2010. Had a great time and saw so many whales and dolphins from there we didn't need a boat trip. Its not your average hostel, more like a guesthouse. Makes me wonder why other hostels can't provide the same standards. I guess its not for party groups but perfect for couples.  , Scotland ()
5   Fabulous (and good value) I visited south africa several years ago. We came upon the Abalone beach house quite by chance when we were looking for somewhere to stay for a night but loved it so much we stayed for three. Since then if anyone I know is going to drive the garden route I always recommend this place to them. I was just recommending it to a friend today when I found this website. I do not normally bother writing posts after I visit somewhere. I liked the way the owner hung out in the communal area. He was very helpful without being over friendly which I thought was a nice mixture. He pointed out the dolphins to me and told us how to get to the nice Italian restaurant nearby -- what more conversation was required in such a fantastic location? Great value too!  , Irish ()
5  We, a group of students studying in Stellenboch, loved Abalone Beach House. Our last visit would have been our fourth visit and enjoyed it as much as we did our first visit. We think the owners are super friendly and chilled out! The house is new and the rooms are of a high standard and very clean with white linen. The views are all around and you feel that you are sitting on top of a forest. The beach is just two minutes walk from the house and is much nicer than the beach in Plettenber Bay. We will definitely go back to Abalone, and will also recommend it to all our friends and fellow students.  ()
5  When we turned up it was for one night but ended up staying for three - although of the couple that owned it, the chap wasn't there much. His wife was incredibly friendly though and made us feel perfectly at home. Place is only small, with 3 or 4 rooms - try and get the ensuite as it is self contained above the garage so really peaceful, only noise we heard was the waves. Amazing location if you want to chill for a few days. Huge empty beach only yards away and when we went there were dolphins there every day enjoying the surf. No good for those looking for nightlife, but for a few days on the beach with a trip to the elephant or monkey sanctuaries nearby, couldn't recommend it more.  ()
1  We had booked this in advance for three nights, but ended up staying only one. The room was ok but the manager made us feel really unwelcome. He takes over the "common area" as his own TV/smoking lounge so there's nowhere to hang out, and the atmosphere was not good — unfortunately he's quite an aggressive, unpleasant man, particularly for someone running a backpackers. We heard similar stories from other people further on in our travels. Also there's no soap in the communal toilet/bathrooms — we thought that was just tight!  ()