Grapevine Hostel

Grapevine Hostel in Dingle stands out for its unique style and relaxed atmosphere located in a wonderful area.

Grapevine Hostel is located quite in the center of Dingle, a small town on the Dingle Peninsula, Kerry. Even though Dingle relies on tourism and offers therefore many things to do and see, it is not as crowded with tourist buses as the Ring of Kerry. The Dingle Peninsula is a very unspoiled, beautiful area with a lot to discover.

As it's reachable by car and buses from Tralee and Killarney, it is easy to get here. The bus station is only a couple of minutes’ walk from the hostel itself. There is also the possibility to rent bikes in Tralee and cycle on a well-made cycle track to Dingle. The bike is a good way to get around on Dingle Peninsula.

The next supermarket is only around the corner. From the hostel it is about two minutes to the sea and the harbor, where you can take a boat to watch out for the famous and very old dolphin Fungie.
Slea Head Drive, the most popular drive around the peninsula, starts and ends in Dingle. Taking it, you will pass beautiful scenery with mountains, cliffs, and beaches; Gallarus Oratory (an early Christian church with very interesting architecture); and the famous Conor Pass, which is the highest pass in Ireland at over four hundred fifty meters high.

There are dorms (eight-bed and three-bed) as well as private rooms (twin rooms and double rooms). Each room is en suite. The dorms are very nice and clean just like the bathrooms. There is carpet on the floor and a heater, which makes the room warm enough. The beds are standard loft beds that are not very big and comfortable. There are enough sockets.

There is a cosy common room with a chimney, comfortable couches, and a very good atmosphere due to the decoration and lights. You will find a guitar, games, and books to give you a nice time staying here. But if you decide not to stay in the hostel for the evening there will be lots of traditional Pubs and live music waiting for you. There is free Wi-Fi in the whole hostel. The kitchen and eating room is as nice and embellished as the common room and very unique. It is well equipped and everything necessary is provided (microwave, freezer, cooker, oven).

This hostel not only provides a very good service (good, relaxed atmosphere, nice staff, laundry service, free Wi-Fi) but also is it located perfectly for looking around the beautiful Dingle Peninsula.
by RebeccaM
May 2013

common room

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Grapevine Hostel" at Dykegate Lane.)

Dykegate Lane, Dingle, County Kerry, Ireland
52.140395, -10.268690
+353 (0) 669151434

How is Grapevine Hostel rated on other websites?

Great place, very welcoming
Stayed in the grapevine for 3 nights in october. Great place to explore the peninsula, drink a beer, watch sports and surf in the bay on the other side of the pass. Very friendly people and good facilities. Recommend!
Clean, comfy, friendly
An easy walk from the bus station, even on a rainy night, and a stone's throw from the Dingle main street and hotspot pub An Droichead Beag. They were flexible about check-in time, had a cute sitting room where I was invited to hang out several times, and the beds had really warm comforters and the sturdiest, quietest bunk-bed ladders I have ever climbed at 3am.
A Far Away Home
I came just off the bus, not intending to stay past a couple of days. It was winter and the whole town was quiet but for the evening music from the pub just around the turn of a couple of corners. I stayed more than two weeks, content to sit by the fire at night and near the big picture window by day, watching as town folk and travel folk passed, listening to stories spun by the owner. It was a wonderful place from which to strike out and explore the area. Coming back each evening, just as night set in and the sitting room began to fill with the warm light of a new fire, felt like a far away home that had been waiting for me all along. It has been a year and I feel a pull to return. I hope my path takes me back soon.
Pretty good
This hostel has an excellent location, right by all the pubs and about a five-minute walk to the harbor. The rooms are ok, I stayed in a four-person bedroom (female) with an en-suite bathroom. That was nice, the shower did get hottish but the pressure sucked. The lady who runs it, while not overly friendly, was nice enough. If I come back to Dingle (which I hope I will) I would stay here again. Take the Scuird Archeological tour with Michael Collin. He's hot!
Friendly, Laidback Vibe
The Grapevine is a great place to stay and is close to everything in Dingle. It is quiet, and there are always people hanging out in the common areas. Both the dining room and the fireplace room are very cozy. If you have anything valuable (which you should not travel with anyhow) you may not want to stay here as there are no locks on the room doors. We did not have any problems with this though.
The Grapevine Hostel is right in Dingle's City Centre. From the bus stop, go right through the Supervalu grocery store. Turn right out the front door, and take your first left up Dykegate Lane. After a short walk, you'll find the hostel on the left. The hostel is in a large blue building, but has a cozy feel inside. Dorms have four or eight beds, and are ensuite. Clean sheets/duvets are included, and the beds are comfortable. Both the dorm rooms and the bathrooms are clean and bright. The bathrooms are a little cramped, and could use a few hooks or shelves to put clothes on, but there is plenty of hot water for a shower. The building has three stories; dorm rooms are on the second and third floors, accessible by a staircase. The ground floor is where you'll find the kitchen, dining area, and lounge. The lounge is small but cozy, with a fireplace and a bookcase. It's a nice sitting area but was, in my experience, often empty. The dining area is a simple but bright room, with a pretty grapevine design painted around the top of the walls. It's stocked with solid wooden picnic tables. The kitchen is small but adequate. It's very convenient to use if you're the only one in it. In busier times, its small size can make cooking dinner into a bit of an awkward dance. Probably the biggest drawback of this personable hostel is that there are no laundry facilities. It is only a short walk to the town where there are three laundrettes, but they may be closed on holidays/Sundays and aren't cheap. In short, Grapevine Hostel is in a remarkably convenient location for those wanting to explore the pubs and shops of Dingle Town, and the nearby bike hire is handy for tourists who want to venture farther afield. It may feel crowded in the busy season, but feels cozy and comfortable nevertheless. Review by Kristen Eaton
Kristen Eaton
  I absolutely loved staying at the Grapevine. The live-in wardens were very friendly and welcoming, always happy to see me whether on my way out to a pub or just waking up. The rooms were bright and clean, and the common rooms were set up well for meeting new friends. The cosy feeling of the place was much closer to a B&B than a hostel and I would love to stay again at the Grapevine.
Katie McKeogh
  I made my reservation to stay here about three weeks in advance, as I heard it was very popular during the summer. The guy I talked to seemed nice enough and assured me everything was in order. So you can imagine my surprise when I showed up and was told that they were completely full. Me: "I made my reservation several weeks ago and was told everything was ok." Very rude hostel worker: "Well, we're filled up, and there's no record of your reservation. I guess we forgot to write it down. Sorry." Keep in mind this was on a Saturday afternoon in August. Not exactly the ideal time to try to find a new place to stay. Based on the other reviews, this sounds like a nice place, but I would definitely confirm and then re-confirm my reservation in the days leading up to my arrival to avoid this type of scenario.
Jonathan, USA