Rainforest Hostel

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Rainforest Hostel" at 169312 Highway 101.)

169312 Highway 101, HOH Rainforest, Forks, Washington, USA
47.741547, -124.341620 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.rainforesthostel.com
+1 (360) 374-2270

How is Rainforest Hostel rated on other websites?

I've visited this hostel years ago. The facility should be shut down.
Scott
Age 61
2015-12-01

Protecting his garden from elks
arrived there at night, slept in car and getting ready to leave & i hear ya want a shower. so i pay 2$ for a shower, then i'm getting ready to leave and he points out his back window at a herd of 20 elks as he says i can stay for free, he'll feed me smoked salmon. if i help him dig holes to put these huge fallen trees with the branches sawed off around the perimeter of the garden. he was a nice guy. a friend brought over tons of wild sage and piled it in the garage, that seemed good so that is where i slept. did some hikes in the rainforest, and hiked the shorelines with craggeys teaming with vegatative growth. house a bit unorganized, but nice stay.
Elk Security
2014-07-29

Great "Experience"
The owner Jim is a helpful, interested and interesting person, with an awesome garden. He even offered us an excellent and very fresh breakfast. We had not planned in advance to stay there, but after climbing Mount Olympus, a shower was welcome. Great backyard to play frisbee. It's a good, quiet place and really affordable. Of course the house and the rooms could be better cleaned, but the bathroom was neat and you can get clean sheets for 1$. Overall, great experience for a really cheap price.
remi
Age 30, Canada
2014-07-05

A port in the rain
I stayed in July of 2005. After biking down from Port Washington and after visiting the Hoh Rain Forest I ran into the first bit of rain. I really needed a place to stay and this was a lucky coincidence. Cheap, a stop better than camping. I got my first real acquaintance with the Pacific Northwest from Jim. (I was coming from Chicago and was amazed at the difference in culture and weather!) I've stayed in many places both better and worse. By comparison, I'm glad I got a chance to stay here and was a little sorry I didn't stay another day.
Bob
Age 73, USA
2013-11-16

Why is this place still operating?
Two years ago I sent my deposit for a several-night stay at the 'hostel.' Using the schedules posted on the website, I started the day-long journey from Seattle, via several buses. After two bus rides I found that the schedules on the website were way out of date, and I was stranded in a town far from the hostel. I called Jim, assuming he'd be apologetic & upset by the misinformation. Wrong! He was defensive & angry. I managed to get back home & gave up on my vacation. I just revisited the website -- and the same outdated schedules are still posted! I emailed Jim, who said yes, they are inaccurate, and I'd need to do my own research to figure out the transportation!! But no concern that he's posting inaccurate info on his website. I wish I knew how to remove the inaccurate information, so no one else will get stranded just because the 'hostel' owner is so indifferent to the needs of potential guests.
Ms. VJ
Age 56, USA
2013-08-08

I was in a bad spot
and could only afford to stay through the weekend at this place with my kids. It was uncomfortable from the get-go. He's demanding how much you pay up front. And charges for sheets and forces towels on you whether you want em or not. All pillows and beds are moldy. The kitchen is disgusting. His fridge is full of oddities -- but I would not be surprised if human parts were in there, this dude is seriously disturbed. We had no trouble with him, but that was a lot of work on our part. You could just feel the wildness in his eyes, that he was on the edge of keeping his violence in check. He is so disturbing, the moment we could get out of there, we did. After all the chores were done. He insisted my 7 year old do his own chores. THAT was weird. Like, I couldn't do anything FOR him. If only I knew about this site. Go somewhere else! You think you could stand anything when you're in a bind financially, but hindsight; I would have paid the extra 20 bucks a night, skimped on food instead and went somewhere else. I left feeling like things were crawling on me.
Anonny
Age 37, USA
2013-04-23

NOT a Hostel! Creepiest place I've ever stayed! AVOID!
Problem # 1 & red flag! This is NOT a hostel, it's an old guy who lives in an old house, who rents out spare bedrooms. He is also very territorial, which is weird, because he's right there all the time. Most of the buttons & burners are broken, everything is dusty. The danger factor -- he lost his temper on me in the morning as I was loading my bike, next thing I know he's in my face threatening me with a pronged weeding tool! Possibly criminal weirdness, got out of there fast! DO NOT STAY HERE!
Bee
Age 52, USA
2013-04-17

Scary!
We were in contact with Jim for a family room as we had two adults and a 20 month old. He assured us a family room and in reality provided us with a broken down fifth wheel complete with mold and spiders. The day after sleeping there the baby was sick. We were originally slotted for 2 nights but we came in late due to traffic and Jim didn't return our call after we messaged him we were running late and when we got there he didn't answer our call for assistance in finding it. He had gone to bed without setting up the space for us and then called it a cancellation and kept my check for reservation. So disappointed in the hostel and with the owner of it. Poor business practices and horrible cleanliness.
Tanya