The Railway Hostel Sligo

Looks do deceive sometimes, and The Railway is a somewhat better on the inside than it appears from the outside. Located just near the railway station and main road through town, you'll be somewhat away from the buzz of the town, but the hostel will do fine as a place to put up your feet while you're passing through.

The live-in owner is a seasoned backpacker and will kindly offer all the helpful information you might need. Beds are few though, so things are generally rather quiet and this is not exactly the place to meet people. The kitchen/lounge combo is clean and nicely done up, with tables, sofas, games, TV, cutlery, and fridge, but no stove or oven. Bathrooms are being renovated, so one is beautifully done with pine paneling, while the other is the mess of a project in progress. Bedrooms are small, with four beds, a sofa and a rather antiquated look. Bedding is provided.

Sligo is not exactly the tourist capital of Ireland, with the pub life and the interest of the small canal being about its only saving grace, but if you're being a bit more thorough about discovering Ireland and need a place to stay, then you're not likely to have any regrets about staying at The Railway.

May 2006

How is The Railway Hostel Sligo rated on other websites?
5   Wonderful hostel! We stayed in the Railway Hostel for one and a half weeks and we had a really good time there. The owners are very nice and extremely helpful since we were in an emergency situation when we came there and they really were kind to us. Our 2-bed-room was clean and very cosy and 20 euros are pretty cheap for a room like that. Furthermore we've never seen a bathroom clean like that in a hostel. There are only two microwaves in the kitchen but there are supermarkets near the hostel so it's easy to get some food which you can prepare in a microwave. They also got a fridge which you can use and breakfast, tea, coffee and milk are for free. Another positive point is that the hostel is located near the city center and the bus station. All in all we definitely can recommend the Railway Hostel!  , age 19, Germany ()
3   Good but its too small and the live in owner is not so pleasant I found this to be a nice place to put your feet up. However, the rooms are too small, and the windows are difficult to open, making them smelly. The rooms can be quite crowded in the mixed dorms as well. Further to that, the owner, a man in his sixties; had a tendency of shouting at me. He even chased me off his "property" as it was after 10:30am, the stated leaving time. I won't be going back again due to this treatment.  ()
1   Bad Very very bad! The only thing that I want to say is that Some people shouldn't run hostel but enjoy their retired. What happened is incredible. The owner put me AT THE DOOR of the hostel because I drunk the two finger of milk left in the fridge that was for the guest of the hostel, that means for me too. He got upset because he said that i can drink the milk just with tea or some coffee, but I can't drink a full glass -- is that stupid? Is that stingy? For a glass of milk? The other peoples in the room were Embarrassed. It was a miserable scene! There are other hostel in town thanks God guys, choose carefully, there is no kitchen. Awful!  , Italian ()
4   Great hostel It seems that it is still run that way in March 2009. Very friendly and helpful staff, for 16 euros the night I could do without a cooker and even if there were two microwaves. It surprised me that there was shampoo and toothpaste in the toilets. The only disadvantage we faced was the lack of people, but that has nothing to do with the hostel itself given the fact that it was low season, some other time the common room would have been more appreciated. I could recommend this hostel to anyone!  , Argentina ()
5   Happy From the outside, this may appear to look like an ordinary hostel but from the inside, it portrays the feel of a historic tower with the winding corridors and spiral staircases.This aged atmosphere is brilliantly contrasted by the newly renovated rooms. These rooms are clean, modern and more than appropriately equipped with beds, tables, bedside lamps, a TV with cable, bedside tables, coat hangers, and a rack over the radiators (which we guessed was for drying clothes). The bathrooms had clean showers, toilets, and even an anti-slam toilet seat (this fascinated me). There was a sitting/common room which had tea, sugar, a kettle, a microwave, a fridge, books, newspapers, acoustic and Spanish guitars, and board games. As for the host of the house, he was exceptionally nice, helpful, and friendly. He really made sure that our stay in the hostel was as comfortable as possible and he was very informed of the current events happening around the town. He suggested different activities that could be fun and was happy to point us in the right direction to shops, bars and restaurants. The only thing I could fault this hostel for was the lack of a cooker and the lack of strings/tuning on the guitars. All in all, this was an excellent hostel to stay in for the small price of €20 and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hostel to anyone.  , Ireland ()
3   Good but lacking full kitchen! I would say it's a good hostel if not for the fact that the kitchen definitely lacks a stove. Microwaves is not sufficient. Warden Sean is friendly. Okay for a short stay.  , German ()
The Railway Hostel Sligo Reviews from the Web