Martahaus

How is Martahaus rated on other websites?
1   Criminals own Martahaus -- Beware They are running a scam. I stayed there a few nights ago and found it to be adequate, quite basic accommodation in an otherwise expensive city, no air conditioning, and the TV did not work, but otherwise fine. However, I booked a single room for 85 SWF a night (excluding tax). I had email confirmation of this, however when I arrived they told me there were no other rooms available and that they would give me a twin share at no extra cost. However when I went to pay the bill at the end of my two nights stay (they already had my credit card) they insisted I paid more for the room (135 SWF) and said "it was my own fault that I decided to stay in the room." After I showed them the email confirmation for the 85 SWF room I had requested, they simply told me this was too bad (there was a really unfriendly woman at reception who also called for a larger man to come an bully me) -- I was forced to pay the extra amount because they already had my credit card. Talking to some other people at Breakfast at the hotel, they told me they were originally promised free Breakfast and that after the first morning in which they ate at Martahaus, they were asked to pay for breakfast. I met another traveler on the train to the airport who also shared a similar story to mine about being asked to pay more for a room he was told was a free upgrade but turned out to be a way for Martahaus to charge him more. You see Zurich has many expensive hotels and not many cheap hostels, so they have market power when forcing you to pay more, because your only alternative is a very expensive hotel or the likely booked out few hostels. I would never stay here again.  , Australia ()
3  I stayed here one night in May 2006. It has as good a location as you could possibly ask for, being only a few blocks from the hauptbahnhof and right in the trendy district. I really loved sitting up on their hidden little patio on the roof at night and staring out over Zürich, just follow the stairs all the way to the top. The free internet didn't work and probably never will, so don't count on that. I didn't find the service very friendly, and our room was an hour late when we arrived. My biggest complaint of this place, however, has to be that there was hair on the sheets and pillow case when we did get our room. I asked for a change of sheets, and they said that they'd come by and change them for me while I was gone, which they didn't. That's why you bring 'sleep sheets' I guess. The breakfast was above average. Being that this is a hotel, you have your own room with a key which is good security. Overall, this place was pretty average (by hostel standards), but given that cleanliness of beds is a priority to me, I would try something new if I were to return to Zürich. It also seems to be a very gay-friendly place, if that persuades (or dissuades) you.  ()
4  Extremely clean hostel, like all in Switzerland. No kitchen but breakfast is supplied. Not a very social hostel. Very close to the train station and the old part of town.  ()
4  This place offers good service, free usage of internet, and secure luggage storage for early check-in. It is very near to the train station and old town. It is a bit noisy as it is close to the road.  ()
3  Comfortable and clean. They have nice dorms with private, curtained stalls. I was promised free Internet access, but the computer was broken. It's a little more expensive, but it's in a very good location.  ()
4  It's a little bit old, but the location is great. It's a three minute walk from the railway station. It's very close to the historical old town area. The staff are friendly and helpful. By the way, internet access is free.  ()