East Bundy Backpackers

East Bundy Backpackers is laid back and friendly. It seems to be mainly aimed at workers staying for longer periods of time -- they organise work and for a small fee transport you to and from work in their own minibuses.

This hostel is located in East Bundaberg (hence the name), which is maybe a twenty-minute walk from the bus station and thirty minutes from the train station. There are a few shops nearby and just down the road is the distillery and the place that produces the local ginger beer and other drinks -- both offer tours for visitors. It seems to be the perfect compromise if you don't mind a short walk into town.

Rooms and Bedrooms

Dorm rooms are fairly clean although not so tidy, as the guests are mainly longer term. Bunk beds are sturdy and do not creak. Showers and toilets are clean and in good condition, and all common areas are cleaned daily. Showers have hooks for clothes and private space to change, however finding space for soap isn't easy.

There is a large TV room with comfy couches (and a collection of movies), several computers with internet access available at reasonable prices, a large area behind the hostel with benches a swimming pool and space to relax in the sun. There is a large, well equipped kitchen that gets quite busy after the daily complimentary bus to the local supermarket returns in the early evening. Generally it seems to be a very social hostel but it's not the best place to stay if you're looking for somewhere to party through the night.

Summary

All in all it's a great place to stay if you want to work and don't mind not doing much as there is very little to do in Bundaberg. Staff and guests are friendly and helpful.

June 2009

How is East Bundy Backpackers rated on other websites?
4   Great Place Stayed here for 3 months and was a great hostel. Christine (the owner) is extremely nice and tries hard to find everyone work and arranges all transportation to and from work. The town of Bundaberg is very boring in all but staying in this hostel made it possible for us too stay there so long. The rooms and beds are all good, your guaranteed to meet a lot of great people as well. highly recommend staying here if your going to work in Bundaberg.  , age 19, Canada ()
3   It's alright I guess This place was average on all accounts, Christine the owner tries way too much to be like the backpackers and get in with them and their lives, which just becomes really irritating, the rooms are ok but not that clean, and the showers don't even have doors, just a curtain. The facilities were again average as there was normally always a queue. They do get you to and from the work farms which was great, however, the farms are like an hour away and also, we were always the last ones to get picked up from the farms, we had to wait an extra 45 mins to 1hr just for the bus driver to come and get us. The staff are friendly enough I guess but they could definitely do better. Overall this place is alright, but I wouldn't come back here again, people who say this was the highlight of their trip must have had a pretty bad trip. There are definitely better places about.  , England ()
5   By Far the Best Place in Bundaberg Firstly, note that all the reviews that are less than five stars are from more than a year ago. It's been under new management since then and it's simply fantastic. I've moved around between a different hostels in town before I settled here and its by far the only one where the management actually seems to care about the backpackers and want them to have a good experience.  , USA ()
5   The best 3 month in my Australian trip What can I say, I only thought that I would stay not more than a month in the first place ... and in the end I stayed 3 months and would have gladly stayed more until all of my required visa days were done but I had to leave before unfortunately for me! This place feels really like home, Christine making this possible with a tremendous energy, lots of love and commitment to make this place a safe and sound place to stay in. Not to mention all the amazing people I met during this period... Had the most amazing times there, parties and nights at the central club. Work is steady and one could work 7 days a week if he wanted to and could handle the pace. In a nutshell, the best working hostel in Bundaberg since Christine took over management for a year now.  , France ()
5   Best Hostel It is a so nice hostel. Christine knows the name of everybody and is like a Mom for everyone. Go here if you want to go to Bundaberg. My best decision.  , Germany ()
5   Gorgeous new owners! Great hostel! UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP SINCE END OF LAST YEAR! And the new owners are just great. I stayed 3 1/2 months in this hostel and have seen the transfer of ownership with free bbq and beers on their first night. Christine, Jodie and Brian do a great job and treat everyone like family. They are very honest if you ask them for work - you don't find that often in Australia. The building itself is not the newest and best, but everything is nice and clean, the beds are comfy and you have enough space to feel home after a short while. It is an alcohol free hostel, but the owner may allow alcohol for special occasions (such as Christmas, New Years, Australia Day) and there is a local pub close to the hostel where everyone goes to on Fridays at 5pm. Jugs were $6 and I hope they still are. The jobs at Eastbundy are nearly the best in Bundaberg, which doesn't mean they are good. Bundaberg is a horrible place, but the hostel makes it worth an experience. Some jobs are paid on contract, although the owners try to get an hourly paid job for everyone. The longer you stay, the better are your job offers. I had a really great time at the Eastbundy and made some great friends. Sometimes I didn't make much money at all, but in total it is also a good place to save quite a lot if you are willing to work really f***ing hard. If you go to Bundaberg, stay at EastBundy. There is noting like it, especially not in Bundaberg!  , Germany ()
5   Your best bet. Under new management! So after reading reviews of all hostels in Bundaberg, me and my travel buddy were ready for the worst. After phoning the national harvest line and all the farmers we could find, we were recommended to stay at East Bundy by a local farmer that hires from there. On arrival we were greeted by Christine who told us honestly about the work situation in Bundy. We quickly learned what kind of place this was. In the evening there was a special going away event for the longest staying member of the hostel, the family atmosphere there was just fantastic. This IS different to every other working hostel in Bundaberg. Sure the accommodation is basic but what do you expect from a working hostel? Christine is open and honest with the work, we had work after just one day. Our beds were comfy, the pillows were magical, the hostel was safe and secure, had a good working kitchen with plenty of space as well as a large locked cold room fridge and your own personal locker with plenty of room for all your food. All cutlery (and there is a lot!) is all provided, plates, bowls and a nice large cup for your morning tea/coffee before work. Going to other hostels in the area, owners were rude and indifferent and didn't seem to care if you stayed there or not. I saw a number of occasions where people had mentioned something to Christine and she had sorted it straight away, for example new knives were bought as someone brought it up. Small things but it is those small things that make you feel at home. So in summary if you are going to Bundy to get your 2nd year visa, go to East Bundy and save the days drive around the town that we had trying to find something better, because you won't find it. This hostel was taken over by Christine at the beginning of the year. Oh and they have an adopted cat called Popcorn. If you weren't thinking of staying here already, there is your last reason.  , United Kingdom ()
5   If you're going to Bundy - Go here - Good work & Great Atmosphere!! Had an amazing time at this hostel!! I got really good work, paid just under $20 an hour and worked loads so saved loads of money while staying here for my second working holdiay. I stayed in another hostel in Bundy which was terrible and thankfully moved to East Bundy after a week which made my 4 months there fly by!! Met some awesome people there including the farmer I worked for who was great....let us have tomato and water fights as we worked!! The hostel has a great family atmoshere created by new owners Christine, Brian and Jodie!! Their first night at the hostel had free beers and live music!! They were so awesome, convinced me to stay there over xmas which was a great choice!! Def going back for a visit soon and would have no problem to stay for another 4 months!! If you're going to Bundaberg for any reason stay at this hostel ... trust me you wont regret it!!!  , Ireland ()