The Villa Backpackers Lodge

The Villa is one of the finest backpackers in NZ, and being close to the ferry terminal in Picton, it makes an excellent stop-over upon arriving from the North Island, or before setting out for Wellington.

This is a clean and friendly hostel, with excellent facilities. The backpacker has been converted from prior homes, and each building has a kitchen and internet access. The rooms are comfortable and well kept, and linen is available. Each building has its own kitchen and dining room, as well as a living room with couches and comfortable chairs.

Outside between the buildings and away from the street there is a secluded patio and lawn area with tables, hammocks, a large (and free) spa that comfortably fits about six people. In the morning a free breakfast of cereal is available, and in the evening the staff serves up a warm apple crumble. This a great place to relax before heading out on a tramp or when returning from one. In all, The Villa Backpackers Lodge is an excellent choice in Picton and is highly recommended.
by Christopher Papouchis
January 2005

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "The Villa Backpackers Lodge" at 34 Auckland St.)

34 Auckland St, Picton (Marlborough Sounds), New Zealand
-41.290101, 174.005798 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.thevilla.co.nz
006435736598
+64 3 573 6598

How is The Villa Backpackers Lodge rated on other websites?

n/a

Quite nice in all respects
convenient, clean, comfortable. roomy dorms in the main. I will be staying there again.
paul
Age 74
2014-02-03

Good stay
very nice, clean and friendly.
very good
Age 32, Germany
2013-04-20

Best hostel in picton
When we arrived at the villa we were half expecting a bit of dump but we were pleasantly surprised. the place feels like a big house and the rooms reminded me of home. My fiance and I had a double room with the most comfortable bed we have stayed in, the sheets were soft and their were plenty of pillows. there was a sink in our room too as well as free tea, coffee, and breakfast all FREE -- not only that but guests also got apple crumble and ice cream at 7:30pm too and the resident Labrador milly is gorgeous. I would stay here again. the room, atmosphere and living space was cosy plus the staff were helpful and for what we paid we definitely got out moneys worth. Its also five minutes if that to the ferry terminal so its brilliantly located and has the yummy bakery almost right next door.
purple
(N.Z)
2011-05-09

Fine
This backpackers has a great location about five minutes' walk from the Ferry and from the town/shops. The rooms are fine, stayed in a double which included a TV. The toilets and showers are plenty and quite clean, however there was a small flood in the bathroom which came through to the carpet in our room (next door). The kitchens could get a little cramped but are well equipped. The buildings and place could do with some renovations or just a bit of care, as they are quite old and rundown.
Paula
(Ireland)
2008-03-10
  I loved staying here. So homey, great staff -- and the cutest dog (Milly) to walk. It's right next to a wonderful bakery too.
Stella
2007-01-19
  This hostel is expensive for what it is. We came in off the ferry and arrived here. The staff weren't that friendly towards us and the rooms accommodate large numbers (8-plus). The kitchen is small as well as the eating area. I'm sure it would be nice in the summer as it has a lot of outdoor seating. But in June it's not the best.
2005-09-08
  This is a lovely place, with friendly staff and people. The kitchen is not the newest but it's okay. The rooms are individual and not impersonal bunks. Go there.
Ina
2005-02-22
  People rave about this hostel, but as with any place its not ALWAYS going to be great. I've stayed here twice and a friend convinced me to stay the second time. Thankfully it ended up being a better stay (even though I had an awful flu!) The first time I stayed I felt the place to be cliquey and the people in my humongous dorm were loud and rude. I know that is no fault of the hostel but it doesn't help for a good stay either. The second time around though, I found people to be friendlier and the place to be more relaxed (when it gets busy it's not so great). But the free apple crumble and breakfast are a great bargain. All in all, it is the best place to stay in Picton and you probably won't be staying in the town for more than a couple of days anyway.
2005-02-04