HI - Tibbetts Point Lighthouse Hostel

How is HI - Tibbetts Point Lighthouse Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Awesome i would like to start out by saying what a great place to stay. stayed there on the week before labor day weekend, also visited there last summer as well. the views are just awesome. i would like to thank RANDY THE staff member who cares for the place, on what a great job she does. thank you for such a great time and look forward to next years visit. you guys rock.  , usa ()
1   Great Location, But Not Managed Well Our family of 4 stayed here in August 2012. The hostel now has different managers than the ones who were raved about. We were very disappointed. First, I'll talk about the good features. The setting was stunningly beautiful, next to the lighthouse and the water. The price was inexpensive, $20 for each adult and free for our 2 kids. The bathroom was clean and had hot water. Now, for the parts that REALLY need improving. Getting a reservation was very time consuming and required lots of patience, as I emailed several times and called and called and called over a number of months to get anyone to respond to a reservation request. The current caretaker was an odd person who really put a negative spin on our stay. We arrived shortly after 5 p.m., the time when the hostel was supposed to be open for the evening, and the door was locked. Then a man came up, all sweaty from a run; I greeted him and said that we had a reservation; he muttered something like, "Oh, you're the family," then he unlocked the door and disappeared inside, shutting the door behind him! We were stunned and a bit confused about where he had gone and whether we were supposed to wait outside. About 5 minutes later, he came back out with some clean clothes on and said that he was the caretaker (I think his name was Hugh), and that he would check us in. He provided short and often non-responsive answers to our questions (it was very strange). For example, I asked if there was WiFi, and he answered slowly, "Yeah, but I'll have to give you the password." But he make no effort to give us the password! I had to finally say, "Ok, give us the password." He also indicated that the common area in the 2nd building was for guest use, so my husband asked if we could come and sit while we checked our email; then Hugh started backtracking and indicated that we shouldn't really come there (it looked like he had piles of his own belongings around the room). He was so bizarre that I thought perhaps he had some type of difficulty with social skills, and I was feeling compassion for him and his situation ... until my family returned from dinner to find him in the kitchen area talking up a storm and laughing and being very social to the HI staff person who had showed up unexpectedly to check on the hostel. We were astounded because the person he was presenting to the HI investigator was a completely different person than he had been toward us. His behavior is still a mystery. The caretaker did not have a key for our room, so we couldn't leave any belongings in there while we were out. There was no explanation regarding breakfast items or use of the kitchen in the morning. No coffee or tea. Nothing. Finally, the beds were VERY uncomfortable. We had a family room with a very hard double bed (so hard that my husband couldn't sleep there), a twin bed that my daughter sunk into like a marshmallow (which also didn't have linens), and a bunk bed with decent mattresses. We joked that the room must belong to the 3 bears, with one bed too hard, one too soft, and one that was in between. All in all, the atmosphere just felt very inhospitable and unwelcoming, as if the caretaker had his own private place and didn't really want guests to stay there. This was the 3rd hostel that we stayed at during our trip (the other 2 were in Montreal and Ottawa), and it was by far the worst. What a shame, as with such a grand location, it has tremendous potential.  , U.S.A. ()
5   Great! Retreat Wonderful Views The staff, Robert and Patricia, Were outstanding they fixed me a cup of Hot Tea when I arrived and then gave me some history of the Lighthouse Quarters. After showing me around helped me with my items to come in. Another guest brought me a drink and watched the sunset with me. What a wonderful time.  , USA ()
5   Freedom My wife took me there for our first picnic (by end of yard). I took her by lighthouse and asked her to be my wife, then we got married there oct. 18, 08. We also slept there once time and no sound (cars, train, people, or out of sound) -- she just hear the windy with water wave it calm night. We would buy this lighthouse if the state will offer for a sale. If we or I need to run away for a while it will be this place! Go there and enjoy your time! It's worth it!  , new york, syracuse ()
4   Awesome! This is the first time I've ever stayed at a hostel, but the weather was cold, and we were the only souls brave enough to be out and about, thus we had the whole house to ourselves. I'm a longtime lighthouse lover, and staying here was one of the neatest things I've ever done in my life. Wayne and Drina were wonderful hosts, very friendly and welcoming, and full of information about things to do in the surrounding area. Seeing the light flashing in our bedroom windows all night long was very peaceful and comforting. The sunsets were fantastic. This is an experience I will never forget.  , U.S.A. ()
5  Dorothy and Dan are a delight! The location is one of a kind and their hospitality is legendary -- they are like our family! They handled our large group with ease and made our stay feel so welcoming! Don't hestitate to stay at Tibbetts Point, it's an experience you will never forget!  ()
5  First of all, hi to Dorothy and Dan. We are already looking forward to this summer. This will be our fourth summer to visit and stay at the lighthouse. We enjoy coming to your hostel every summer from Canada. It is like our second cottage. We recommend this beautiful place to anyone who is looking for an adventure.  ()
5  This is a wonderful place and the hostel keepers are truly special and very kind human beings. I spent two nights here at Tibbet's Point two summers ago while traveling and camping alone. There were no other travelers while I was there. Their companionship was warming, the grounds were absolutely lovely, and the houses themselves were spotless. I hope to visit there again. Anyone who finds him or herself here will be enchanted.  ()