Beach Hostel

How is Beach Hostel rated on other websites?
5   Nice staff, pleasant place This is my second time staying here -- very nice atmosphere. I like the location being a bit out of town and closer to the beach -- more peaceful. Nice kitchen and staff. This will be where I stay if i come again to Nelson.  ()
5   Friendly staff, good atmosphere, would recommend! near the beach, fun atmosphere, very sociable, and clean! would recommend!  , age 25, sweden ()
3   Good location, but needs updating Stayed in this hostel in the winter. This hostel really needs a repaint and new kitchen cupboards, especially the room which looked liked it needed redecorating at least ten years ago, which could be a bit depressing -- but in the summer probably doesn't matter as you'll be in the communal areas which were better, or outside! Also, no wifi to speak of -- the paying one ran out after one minute.  , UK ()
2   Like Staying at Grandma's! The good stuff -- the beds were comfortable, the best in out tour. the lounge has comfortable settees, plenty of them. the dining room and outside terrace is well appointed. The general facilities are clean. Best yet -- the staff did the dishes! excellent in preventing transfer of viruses. The grot stuff -- The decor is about 60 years old -- surely a coat of paint could be applied to make it more presentable. Just like Grandma's house there is clutter everywhere -- I had to move paintings that were leaning up against the wall so I could move around the bed! The restricted access to the rooms through the laundry is made more difficult by stacking baby carriage/baby bath behind the door and with the vacuum cleaner left in the passage way (nobody neaby using it) became a real obstacle course to get luggage in and out. BBQ tables outside need urgent maintenance -- rot on seats, clutter (pot plants) on the top. Rear garden could be a pleasant usable guest area but it's not inviting at first sight -- clutter all over the long BBQ table, long grass, dog turds, grotty condition of the BBQ. Full marks to the owner though, as it was cleaned up during the afternoon to allow our group to enjoy their evening. Told off for talking in the kitchen at 8am "Some people are trying to sleep". You've got to be kidding! This hostel has great potential with its location. The basics exist with the level of comfort offered -- how about attending to the presentation.  , New Zealand ()
4   Furnishings, clenliness, prettiness A1, all excellent. Nelson Beach Hostel is a very lovely little place. I couldn't believe how clean and homey the place is with top and bottom sheet and fresh blankets provided. Nice new carpet makes the rooms feel new and cozy too. I stayed in a mixed dorm but it only had 4 beds in it the room so it felt cozy and didn't feel like they squeezed dozens of us in to one big space like they do in some hostels. The balcony, kitchen, common room are such a light-filled homey place with lots of sunshine coming in and ocean breeze. Bathroom was clean and comfortable, but just needs more hooks to hang up towels when showering. Laundry facility there I noticed too. Great to have free local calls on the phone there too. And internet available. The beach is about 5 mins walk away, a very nice beach. The hostel is 10 minutes drive out of the city centre of Nelson, but I think that was nice because the city centre isn't that pretty. But I was a little disappointed that the "Free pick up and drop off to town" that was advertised is actually only when there is no public transport running, but as it was a Sunday there was not a bus for another 2 hours. The owners did make me welcome when talking directly to me, but one lady working there (one of the owners??) seemed to be grumpy at us backpackers generally. She was talking under her breath about things in the hostel she didn't like in certain places and I thought she was about to tell one of us backpackers off at any moment. But overall, I highly recommend this place. It has a homey feeling, and very clean and nice furnishings.  , Australian ()
1   Great Location, Not So Great Hospitality Firstly, let me say that the beach hostel is in the best location. Only a 5 minute stroll from the best beach in NZ. But, as for the accommodation, I was less than impressed. I believe there are now new owners at the Beach Hostel, I did not feel comfortable staying there. At one point I came back to find my stuff moved around and all over the place. The owner, being a "sensitive artist" claimed to have vomited all night because someone wore shoes on her "lover" -- the carpet -- and we were even accused of fraud at one point (ouch). But of course, they were also very friendly sometimes, and tried to get along with us, but it really felt like we were walking on eggshells the whole time, and was not a relaxing experience. Overall, would I stay there again or recommend it to anyone? Nope.  , NZ ()
Response from the accommodation: Huge effort being made to tidy up the old girl and shes looking good. Chandilers in the foyer and lounge, a dishwasher, and filtered water are just some of the many improvements since Dec 2009. The family work together to make this place clean and tidy so that your stay can be relaxing and enjoyable. 'HOME SWEET HOME' -- a comment we often hear from our guests who enjoy the home comforts.  , New Zealand ()
5   My New Zealand Home Had a wonderful four months at the beach hostel 2003 -- felt comfortable and welcoming the moment i arrived! In a brilliant location with the beach so close, town nearby, and easy distance to Abel Tasman national park. i do hope to return some day.  , Ireland ()
Beach Hostel Reviews from the Web