HI - White River Junction, The Hotel Coolidge Hostel

First Floor Sitting Area
First Floor Sitting AreaHotel Coolidge LobbyExterior

How is HI - White River Junction, The Hotel Coolidge Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Travel back in time I love the Coolidge Hotel, which was recently renovated but still holds an aura of a century ago. If you're looking for luxury, look elsewhere -- this hotel is simple but authentic, retro, and homey. I've stayed in the hotel section and, during a group bike tour, in the hostel. I love both. The owner and staff are pretty disorganized, but don't stress out about it -- it goes along with the laid-back atmosphere and can be kind of funny. I found the rooms and the bathrooms perfectly clean.  , USA ()
4   Old-fashioned and quiet I have stayed here several times, and I really like the place, but if you're looking for something trendy or social you might be disappointed. It's not a typical hostel, they only have private rooms (a wing off the regular hotel), and it kind of has a Depression-era boarding-house vibe. It's a unique place that seems a good fit for WRJ's tiny "downtown" area. It's great if you're arriving by train, because it's right across the street from the Amtrak station.  , age 35, USA ()
5   I had a nice time The hostel room I stayed in was spare but functional, with 1930s charm. It had a wooden floor painted light gray, a sink, dresser and place to hang clothes. The Coolidge Inn is very old-fashioned throughout and it is not easy to dine in WRJ. However, if it is open, the restaurant on the corner serves excellent Turkish food. The staff is warm and helpful. I plan on returning.  , age 54, US ()
1   Overcharges Non Members This hostel overcharges non-members of Hostelling International $10 instead of the $3 they are supposed to charge according to HI policy. I will bring this to the attention of HIUSA national office to force them to change this policy.  , USA ()
1   This hostel is terrible all-around There is very little positive that can be said about this dreary, poorly managed hostel. I guess the location is ideal, right across the street from the Amtrak station and a short (free) shuttle ride from the bus station. But don't count on the staff to even tell you about the free shuttle. The person who checked me in was incredibly rude (throwing papers at me, making inappropriate comments). When I complained to his boss I was told that that person shouldn't have let me get to him! I've never had hotel management blame me for a staffer's inappropriate behavior before. I shouldn't have been surprised, though, because the hostel is so poorly maintained. The rooms and showers are filthy. The beds are as old as they come (awful mattress with no fitted sheet). To top it all off, the hostel charges non-members an extra $10 instead of the usual $3. This is one hostel to avoid if you can.  , USA ()
3  This hostel is ok but those who choose to stay at this hostel are made to feel like steerage in an old sailing ship! The first two floors of the hotel are nice but the third floor (hostel) is another story. Old, worn-out, and general not so nice. I felt bad for the locals who had to live there.  ()
5  I was enchanted with this place. I had my own bedroom, a shower in the hall with no traffic, courteous, friendly staff, a charming locale, convenient to Dartmouth, and a wonderful chart on the wall outside my room giving the world's entire history. Windows had not yet been opened for the season but it was not too stuffy.  ()
3  I spent 2 nights here in October of 2003. The rooms had a funky oder, but were nice. The showers were yucky. Bring sandles. Otherwise I enjoyed it.  ()