HI - Pitkin Hotel & Hostel

How is HI - Pitkin Hotel & Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Peaceful I stayed here in 2000-2001 and lived a peaceful existence snowshoeing, Hiking, fishing, reading. She might let you build a fire. She has books and movies. Its a lonely place. Very calm. Loved it.  , Usa ()
3   Average There is a decline in the up keep of the hostel. LAst year we stayed in a private room, this year in the bunks. We were the only guest there besides some guy who was working for Joann to have a free room. The gentlemen as always around cleaning or trying to find out what we were doing. I cooked dinner and the guest proceed to snap at me and told me to leave the kitchen so he could clean up. Joann is a very sweet lady, I believe she is just tired. There are a lot of hygiene issues with the hostel also. You can not flush toilet paper it is thrown away in a garbage can beside the loo and not cleaned for at least a week. There are flies and food that should be refrigerated is left out for days such as mustard, mayo. Very unhygienic. nice area but I do not think I will stay there again.  , us ()
5  one of the best hostels. I stayed there two years ago and loved it. and am planning a return this summer of '06. It is thought to be haunted -- just the more intriging. one of the great places left.  ()
5  I stayed at the PH in late August 2005 and did not find the kitchen to be dirty. The Hotel might not be what it once was but the price is still a steal. I was happy that there was a kitchen for my use at all! Plus all the other things you won't find at the Marriot Suites.  ()
2  I've been visiting this hostel since the 1980s, when it was in its prime! It's slipped a great deal from those days. Just last week I spent several days at the hostel. The kitchen was a mess, and not clean. No one seemed to wash his or her own dishes. The owner has had her physical issues, and this is the main reason for its general decline. The majority of guests were non-hostel guests, in the private rooms of the hotel. The hostel has lost its affiliation with HI because of its decline.  ()
4  A fine, 100 year-old stone hotel. All the rooms are on the second floor, along both sides of a long hall. Plumbing, which came late, is mostly toward the back of the building. The first floor is an antique hotel reception room/office and dining room, with old implements and antiques stuck and hanging everywhere. A huge modern kitchen is manned by the guests or not manned at all! Wonderful opportunity to use genuine chef's equipment to make the meal of your dreams. The hostess is charming and witty. Bring your dominos or cards because Pitkin residents are likely to drop in for a game almost any evening.  ()