Seaside Lodge & International Hostel

A friendly hostel located about a 10 minute walk from the center of downtown Seaside and 5 minutes from the beach. It's converted from a motel and it still retains the layout of a typical motel: rooms with individual outdoor entrances encircling a parking lot. But it works well as a hostel. The rooms have several beds each, a combination of bunk beds and regular beds. Each room has a bathroom, and the rooms and bathrooms are nice and clean. You can sign up to do a chore to help keep the hostel clean, but that's entirely optional.

There are several common areas to hang out in. There is a TV/dining room where movies are shown nightly at 8 PM. Next to that is a full kitchen with ample refrigerator space. Next to the reception desk is a coffee shop style bar serving fruit drinks, coffee, and other beverages. Surrounding that area the walls are covered in all kinds of information and maps covering everything you could want to know about the Oregon Coast. Ajoining that area is a reading room with plenty of books and an internet terminal (expensive, go to the library instead). A sliding glass door leads to the outside deck with tables and chairs. There's a large backyard with a view of the river that runs behind the hostel. Canoes and kayaks can be rented by the hour from the hostel if you want to paddle down the river.

The staff are exceptionally friendly and it's a mellow but social hostel and usually a good place to meet people, depending on the current crowd. Ages of the guests vary greatly, ranging from occassional school groups up to older folk.

by David
How is Seaside Lodge & International Hostel rated on other websites?
1   This one doesn't even deserve the one star This place is awful, the rooms smell like pee and the management is extremely unorganized. They collected cash from me and then failed to give me a receipt, later claiming to not have received money from me. They botched our reservation and place is falling apart. I would highly recommend finding another place to stay in Seaside. I have stayed in loads of hostels and this one is a dump that gives hostels a bad name.  , USA ()
4   Friendly, pleasant, and great staff The Seaside International Hostel is a frequent destination for me when I want a weekend at the beach (I live 80 miles away). What brings me back is the friendly staff that have been great people to speak with or learn about local activities. They also have a nice selection of free movies, a well equipped kitchen, and a wide assortment of items to use at the beach (sea kayaks, clam guns, a crab pot).  , USA ()
3   Friendly, but rundown Very friendly and helpful staff. I rented a kayak and paddled in the river which runs right behind the hostel. The sleeping room smelled of mildew, which is the main factor that kept me from staying longer.  , USA ()
1   Poorly maintained -- not up to normal HI standards Very poorly maintained and dirty. Not meeting HI standards, I am afraid. Dog is present in common areas. This is a pity as location is good. HI should insist this is upgraded, or take it from their list of recommended hostels.  , USA ()
5   Nice hostel with extremely nice staff! We stayed at this hostel in March. There were only two other people staying there so the staff had a lot time to explain things to us. They gave us all the information you needed on Seaside and where to go. We had a private room with a nice and clean bathroom. They have a big and well equipped kitchen with everything you need. The dining room was pretty big, too, and you can watch movies there. They even have a few old movie-theatre-seats there. You can either use Wi-Fi there but they also have a computer to use for a dollar for 15 minutes. All in all it was a pleasant stay and we felt welcome by the staff. (Though this hostel is no longer with HI-Hostels.)  , Germany ()
5  we really enjoyed this hostel. the owner is so nice. we had our six month old with us, and she felt bad that it was a little chilly in our room, and gave us a coupon for a couple nights free! what service! the kitchen is great and the location is great. our private room was spacious and the bathroom was kept clean. they had a lot of info for travelers and you can get to Portland pretty quick from here and to Washington too.  ()
5  Last year we took a trip to Miami FL to escape the cold, and for a little excitement. Big mistake. It was a massive urban sprawl. The traffic and crime was the worst I've ever seen. No one spoke English. There is an out-of-control homeless population that I found very depressing, scary, and almost impossible to get around. Also, the locals were all very rude. Don't get me wrong, there was a lot to do and the city was full of an energy that's hard to describe in words, but if you go to Miami stay in the touristy areas. Do not wander off, it may cost you your life. My husband and I were shot at and robbed. Thank god the bullet only grazed my husband's shoulder and we had only traveler's checks. This year, however, we decided on the Oregon coast. The scenery was breathtaking. Seaside was very peaceful, yet there was plenty to see and do. Friendly people both in the hostel and all around town. We will never go back to Miami but we have already decided on Seaside for next year.  ()
4  A very pleasant hostel. There is a new female owner and she is so kind. She plans on having meditation workshops, so definitely keep checking the website for this. It's such a nice break from being in the city. I loved my walks on the beach and how close it is to Cannon Beach and Manzanita. I will definitely go back.  ()