HI - San Francisco, Fisherman's Wharf Hostel

It's located in Fort Mason, which is on the north edge of the city, next to the bay. It's a little ways from the middle of downtown (10-15 by bus), but it's a 5-10 minute walk to the Fisherman's Wharf and the piers. A big advantage of the location if you have a car is that it's the only hostel in the city that offers free parking. At any other hostel in the city you would need to either pay for an expensive parking garage or park out in the avenues and take a bus back to your hostel.

It's a large HI hostel. The rooms are various sizes, so the number of people staying in your dorm room will vary depending on which room you get. As with most large HI hostels, people keep to themselves a little more than at smaller hostels, so you may or may not meet a lot of social people. There are several common areas, including a large sitting area upstairs with couches and internet computers (charging a fee). Downstairs is a very large dining area and kitchen. By the reception the walls are covered in information about the bay area and it's a great place to get information about the city. There may also be a volunteer to answer questions at the information table in the mornings.

by David
How is HI - San Francisco, Fisherman's Wharf Hostel rated on other websites?
HI - San Francisco, Fisherman's Wharf Hostel Reviews from the Web
4   Nice location close by Fishermen's wharf Excellent location with free parking. I enjoyed my staying there because the hostel has a exceptional ocean view and also you get to see Golden Gate Bridge from its backyard. Although the shower rooms are not kept as clean as I expected it would be, with its affordable price, the hostel is fair enough to stay for a night or two during travel.  , Taiwan ()
1   Worst customer service ever received A group of friends an I arrived at the hostel around 8pm to check in. We were all joking around and smiling until the guy behind the reception completely killed our mood. I've never, in ten years and over a hundred hostels stayed in, encountered somebody so rude. We asked where was good to go in the city, he mentioned an area and we said we might drive. His reply was 'good luck finding parking in the city'. I said 'I'm sure we'll find something, no worries', to which the other girl on reception replied extremely sarcastically 'oh well done, a bit of optimism ... I like it. You should probably be a little bit realistic'. How lovely. After laughing a little more, the guy behind reception said 'if you carry on laughing I won't check you in and you can leave'. Wow. So, after paying $40 for an unclean hostel (the showers were disgusting) with rude staff we promptly headed out. Breakfast in the morning consisted of a cheap microwave waffle as the 'breakfast included' option and we then had to take our own sheets off and separate them into baskets before checking out. I wasn't very impressed. $40 is twice as expensive than the motel we stayed at the night before and we didn't have our mood killed by a rude boy who kept being distracted by 'hot girls' as we were trying to pass over our money. Would never recommend.  , England ()
5   Location good, cheap, clean The restroom is spacious, I love that. The location is good, I can see beautiful view from the window. Cheap price. Breakfast is okay because of the limitation, but it is enough for me.  , Hong Kong ()
2   Ok but too many rules Cons: So many rules. 30+ people in a dorm room. That is too many people. Little girls and old dudes all together. This is not specifically geared towards young travelers (which is what I was looking for) but tends to attract lots of quiet slightly weird older people who like to go to sleep at 9pm. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Anyways, the kitchen closes at 1130. If you want to eat the food that you bought you are out of luck. They cut my lock because it was dark and I put my bag in the wrong underbed storage. My underbed storage was free for the other person to use, but remained unused. Then they made me buy a new lock. The guy insisted on following me into the luggage storage room and waiting there until I finished. I took an extra long time out of spite. But he stayed there the whole time. They were prickly. They insist that you bring your receipt with you when you return late at night and there are big problems if you forget it. It is in the middle of nowhere! And if you go "into the city" you face an unbelievably long trek home. I felt that i was being stifled at every turn by small minded people who needed to follow their long list of rules just so they could cling to them as a life raft. And I'm not some whacked out hippy who just needs to be free. That being said, Pros are the views of the bay are amazing. (out the back and down the hill.) it's nice and quiet. there are no neighbours and it is completely free of city noise. it's in nature and sh*t. Close to the park. I did meet a cute girlie who was very fun to smooch.  , Canada ()
3   Eh... Beautiful location though it is difficult to get to the rest of the city. Since it is so big, it doesn't have that hostel feel. No one talks to each other. I wouldn't recommend it to any of my traveler friends, but I suppose some people are into that kind of thing.  , Colorado, USA ()
5   Excellent area, clean, comfortable, helpful staff I only stayed at this hostel for 1 night but I had a great time. Fisherman's Wharf hostel had a great view of the Golden Gate bridge and Alcatraz, was relaxing and was only a short bus trip to the city centre. The rooms were clean and had a locker under the bed where you could store bags (bring your own lock). The bathrooms always felt like they had been freshly cleaned. There is a nice complimentary breakfast. The hostel also offers tours of the city which I didn't do but they looked good. I would recommend all HI hostels to anybody.  , Australia ()
4   Funky. I stayed here in 2006, for a full week. It was my first time in a hostel and I didn't know what to expect. The location was excellent and the vibe was great. When I arrived it was late but there was staff on hand and they were friendly and helpful. Watch out for the family of skunks that lived underneath it. The rooms were standard hostel fare, it was clearly a shorter stay hostel so there were people coming and going all week which was fine. I did find that the people in this hostel were prone to turning on the lights at all hours of the night. The restaurant was really good, healthy food at a really reasonable price. There was internet and a big kitchen (that I didn't use). I would totally stay here again.  , Canada ()
5   Perfect location! I stayed here about seven years ago, and this was my first experience with staying in a hostel. I've been hooked ever since, even took a year off to travel via hostels/backpackers. This hostel was clean, friendly enough staff, and you go here for the location. It is five minutes away from Fisherman's Wharf. Great kitchen area and breakfast! I am looking forward to getting back there someday! Met some real interesting characters on the tours -- lots of fun!  , USA ()