Hostelling International New York

HI - New York Hostel claims to be the largest hostel in the world. It is full of life with people coming and going at all hours of the day and night. Check-in takes at least thirty minutes per customer and they don't always have the most up-to-date information regarding bookings. Staying true to NYC's nightlife, there is an organized activity going on every evening whether it is bar hopping in the city, game night in the common areas, and or grilling on the patios.

The hostel is easy to find once you have been there. Coming from the airport there are several access options -- taxi, bus,shuttle, and subway. All cheap drop-off locations are several blocks away and the option of hiring a taxi or shuttle for direct pick-up/drop-off will cost you. For getting around NYC during your travels, it is in a great location -- it's only about three blocks from Central Park and the subway with restaurant and bar options all around the block.

Each bunk has its own locker, but locks are not provided. The beds come with fresh sheets, a blanket, and a towel. There are multiple showers and restrooms on each floor for both men and women. Cleanliness all around is superb! There is always someone picking up and sanitizing the bathrooms. Cleanliness on top of endless hot water makes for a very enjoyable shower. Each shower is in a private stall with a bench, hooks, a soap dispenser with all-in-one soap, and a curtain.

HI - NYC has many common spaces for you to spend time meeting other travelers -- computer room, two lounge areas, pool hall room, a front and back patio, TV/game room, and kitchen. They also have a cafe/sandwich shop with very low prices and good food/snacks. These spaces are open twenty-four/seven with the small cafe shop closing down in the evenings.

Summary

Overall HI - NYC has several positive points with a price that is very agreeable to the budget conscious. This location is recommended to any hostelers in the NYC area.

September 2010

Video
How is Hostelling International New York rated on other websites?
Gomio
Hostelling International New York Reviews from the Web
4   Excellent! I had a great time there. The people were very friendly and the hostel is super clean!!! Highly recommended.  , age 27 ()
5   Pretty Rad I have never had such a great experience at a hostel. There are so many opportunities to meet people from all over the world with the common interest of traveling. The people I met at the hostel became such great friends and makes me want to come back and stay here in the future. The facilities are great and the tours are a brilliant way of getting out and about, exploring New York.  , age 19, Australia ()
4   Price was right and place was clean Very efficient check in with the front desk staff. I was concerned as I might me a little older than the average guest but there was a great mix of ages. Staff was constantly cleaning up and very courteous. The place is huge and very busy but the staff still took the time to answer questions and give assistance without ever letting on that they were extremely busy. all and all a very pleasant visit. If I had to list any negatives it would be the slow elevators but once I learned the layout of the place and found the stairs no problem. Thanks HI-New York for making my visit very enjoyable.  , age 46, American ()
4   Perfect for young people I stayed in December for one night with 6 other friends. we were in a 10 bed dorm and, against my expectations, that was really not weird at all. not all of the beds were taken and everybody was respectful not to wake each other up. good location, close to subway station. beds and bathrooms are good. perfect for meeting other travelers. cheap breakfast available. They offer a diversity of activities you can join all day long! The receptionist could have been nicer ... but we checked in in the middle of the night, so I could understand her. All in all, great hostel for young people!  , Germany ()
2   Annoying I have traveled to many HI around the world and found this hostel to be very unfriendly. I think being the "biggest" hostel leaves a lot of room for hostelers to go unnoticed and customer service something to be desired. In my 6 day experience, I found that hostel staff who were clearly "well-traveled" to be the most helpful and courteous while other employees seemed put off by my questions and made me feel as if I was "bothering" them. But those employees with attitudes outnumber those who care about what hostelling international is trying to promote. I also felt that the hostel had a lot of children/teen groups staying there which was a bit annoying because those groups overran the kitchen/common areas. Last but not least, the hostel had me check-out of my dorm halfway through my stay because they could not secure the same bed in the same room for 6 nights even though I had a confirmed reservation. I found this to be very inconsiderate because I had to pack all my belongings and check out for a day while the hostel assigned me a new bed. I understand that the hostel is the cheapest way to stay in New York, but just because there are few options for budget travelers like myself doesn't mean I have to recommend them. It is what it is.  , USA ()
3   By NY standards, ok. This is a giant hostel; the crowds are HUGE (and it was packed the weekend that I was there, late October 2010.) The location is fine. It's a bit of a ride on the subway, but I was a bit lost, and I still found it. NY is on a grid, so it's difficult to get too lost. You're not going to spend too much time in this area, anyway (unless you want to see the diner where Jerry & friends hung out in "Seinfeld"), and Times Square is just a short hop on the subway. I stayed in a 12 bed dorm. The ambient noise from outside wasn't a problem, but I did get a bit unlucky with the people in the room. One fellow was going to class every morning at 8 am, and spent the hours between 7 and 8 pressing his clothes and doing various other annoying things that should have been done outside of the sleeping room. Other tried to hijack my bed, and got grumpy when I pointed out that I had a reservation for that particular bed. The point is, in a room that big, you risk running into people who can't play with the other kids. There is only one elevator for the entire building, and it's slow. Beyond that, the cleaning crew bogarts it during the middle of the day. Did I mention that Humphrey Bogard was born in this neighborhood? There are large common areas with a nice cafe, as well as rentable computers for internet and free wi-fi. Unfortunately, there are a minimal number of electrical outlets in the common areas and sleeping rooms. The security was good; you have to go through the lobby to get in, and then swipe your card. You're not going to get a classic hostel experience in NYC.  , USA ()
2   Go Somewhere Else if you can afford it. This place is a low quality hostel -- not Poor, but close to poor. They do not hold your reservations, they Overbook, and then force you to take whatever room is available, more expensive or not. they did not even acknowledge my reservation when i showed them. wifi is in a small section of one area and is very difficult to access. rooms are poor. lockers are a good size.  , American ()
1   Irresponsible and negligent staff I was in New York City for 6 nights; Delta Airline delayed my baggage for one day but got it delivered to HI New York on the next day. I informed the staff about the arrival of my baggage, but after asking twice a day for FOUR days someone finally checked the storage room and found my baggage which was delivered the day after I got there (and someone signed for it). I was very unsatisfied with the situation and will never live in another HI again (wasted money on a membership but that's ok). The staff also seemed more responsive to non-native female patrons than males (and worse if you are Asian).  , USA ()