New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House

If you're after a hostel that's not a full-on party house nor a sterile dorm, you'll find a good balance at Marquette House. The female dorms are located above the main hostel building off Carondelet Street and the male dorms are located behind in adjacent mini buildings, where there are four to six dorm beds downstairs and the same number upstairs.

Marquette House doesn't pretend it offers lots of amenities, but it does the job as a decent and generally clean hostel. The outdoor garden area with vending machines is a great bonus and an awesome area for socialising. Pay telephones and lockers inside the office area are also a plus.

The dorm rooms are generally clean and lacking in carpet, which helps rid them of the musty/stale smell you might find in other hostels. There are toilets upstairs and down in the male dorms, with a large bathroom upstairs. Cleanliness generally depends on who you have staying in the dorm, but the staff have taken all the steps necessary to rid the dorms of roaches and seem very willing to keep the dorms as tidy as possible.

Since Hurricane Katrina, everything is changing, or as the t-shirts point out "Re-New Orleans." Bad areas have become good and good areas have become bad. The great news is Marquette House was in a good area to start off with and it has remained so. The bad news is the streetcar to the Garden District is no longer running, so you'll have to catch the bus instead -- which arrives and departs until 11 p.m. in front of the Chase Bank in St. Charles Street.

There are several awesome bars located nearby, including the combined laundromat/bar Igors on St Charles Street. If you're arriving via car than you'll find plenty of free parking in front of the hostel and it's generally safe to leave your car there for several days (just take note that Carondelet Street is one-way when arriving).

The hostel office is shut between noon and 5 p.m., but access is still available. They do require a key deposit. Walk-in room rates are much more expensive than the internet rates, so you'll save a fair amount by booking online. At the time of writing, the hurricane-damaged kitchen and common areas were still under repair and no self-catering facilities or indoor common areas are available at the hostel.

December 2006

How is New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House rated on other websites?
1   Nasty, Uninhabitable. Bedbugs, filthy dorms, tons of middle aged people who do nothing but sit around and drink from dusk til dawn. Stay away.  , Usa ()
1   Bedbugs and ticks. This place sucked. I was brought to a house behind the check-in house where the hostel worker wanted me to sleep. It was a house that barely could stand up and had three rooms to it. One room had a traveler already sleeping and the other room had a couple of travelers sleeping in it. I choose the third room and checked my matress before putting the sheets on it and it was sprinkled with ticks, fleas, and other biting bugs. I looked around and new they were coming from the wall as the wall looked alive. I found the hostel man and asked for a new place to sleep. He brought me to another house next to the first house I was asked to sleep in and he opened the door and said I can have any bed I wanted. There was no one in this house and I checked three of the bunk beds and each of them had ticks and fleas and other biting bugs. The place was infested. I called him and left for a new place right away. I told him he had to do something about it cause people could get sick and he said he didn't have much authority to do this. Please don't go to this place cause you will get bitten badly and bring fleas and ticks to new places you go.  , age 33, US ()
2   Clean but noisy, no services The girls' dorm is in a railroad apartment-style room, so, many beds, basically all in the same room, just with a few dividing walls (but no doors separating anything). And two toilet stalls and two sinks are also included in this room, so you can hear everything that's going on in the toilets, all night long, plus people brushing their teeth or using hair dryers (and turning the lights on in the bathroom area). It's very noisy and hard to sleep. I was assigned a top bunk, even though bottom bunks were available, and once someone did take the bottom bunk, the bunk was incredibly wobbly every time she moved. Also, this hostel doesn't have food, or 24-hour desk services, or laundry, or a vending machine selling water (just soda). It's a little cleaner and better heated than India House, but I slept better at India House and enjoyed the services there more. India House is also more social and has much nicer lounge and public areas. There are also no lockers, which is very impractical for a party town like NOLA, and I confirm that there are some sketchy, alcoholic characters drinking in the courtyard at 9am. The hostel is right on the border between a bad area (west) and a good area (east).  , age 40, USA ()
5   Excellent location, good value I stayed in a private room in this hostel, just a block off of St. Charles street car line in the Garden District. Convenient to Bourbon Street and the WW2 museum, Audubon Park and the Tulane area all by streetcar, which runs all night long, at least every 30 minutes even at very late hours, and often every 10 minutes or so during the day. Reasonably quiet, pleasant area of town. Plenty of space for parking.  , USA ()
2   Fine and cheap place I stayed for only one night and it was fine. The bedding was kind of gross. I wasn't too impressed, but then again, it was my last night in Nola and wanted someplace super cheap. I recommend going with a group and renting a private room. Great for that! We walked to French Quarter in about 30-45 minutes.  , age 25 ()
1   Disgusting, dirty, bad security, full of weirdos This is one of the worst hostels i've ever stayed in. It seems to be housing some oddballs and drunks, many of whom 'work' at the hostel. I was placed in the girls' large dorm which was filthy and stank of cigarettes (overflowing bins in the bathrooms, carpets not cleaned in a LONG time). The woman in the bed next to me (who turned out to be a 'cleaner' employed by the hostel) woke me up in the night by smoking at regular intervals in her bed throughout the whole night. The room was freezing and made worse by the air conditioning, when I turned the air con off my smoky friend turned it back on and said she had lung problems and couldn't breathe without it!! To top off my night of hell, I awoke the next day with bedbug bites (definitely bedbugs -- tell tale spots of blood on the sheets). Unfortunately I had already paid for 3 nights so the next morning I asked to move rooms and started to explain my story; the guy on the reception could not have cared less and just shoved another room key in my hand. The next room was smaller and not so dirty, but still pretty poor. There is zero security in this hostel, no lockers, weirdos walking around all night, broken windows in the reception area. The wi-fi doesn't work. When I explained this to the staff they said the only place you can get a signal is outside on the porch. Great. The kitchen is abysmal -- dirty, hardly anything to cook with. Just a two ring hob (one is broken) and a microwave. The only common area is a couple of chairs in reception and a dingy tiny room behind the kitchen (which is locked at night). There is a yard area though, where the middle aged drunks who live at the hostel hang out and drink beer at 9am. There is no laundry, no tv, no sofa, no atmosphere, no real indoor places to sit, no breakfast. The neighbourhood is ok but maybe a little dodgy if you are on your own. The tram stop is just around the corner so it isnt too bad.  , UK ()
3   A Good Hostel The Marquette House in New Orleans, LA is close to one of the parade routes and transportation options. I walked downtown and back as well, not far for me. The room I requested and reserved was a single room, and one was available when I checked in, this may seem like a 'no-brainer' but it doesn't always happen so this is a good experience. The room was actually quite large with a couch and table as well. The check-in and check-out process was good. The place was not-modern, but that added to the feel of the area. It could have used more cleaning, but it wasn't filthy. The heat worked great, although I didn't need it as warm as it could get. Thanks!  , USA ()
3   Everything you need The place provides everything you need, no complications, affordable price. Well, the atmosphere might be only average, but the location is just good to reach the city's best in no time! Go for it if you don't plan to spend much time at the hostel anyways, for there are only a few possibilities to gather, sit down, which is the drawback here.  , German ()
5   Perfectly serviceable. I was slightly worried for my four-day stay after reading some reviews but the truth is i found nothing out of the ordinary for a hostel. The neighborhood isn't bad either, and the place is pretty easy to get to by bus or on foot. I'd knock a star off for it being a slight bit dirty but this place needs a higher rating. Staff were courteous, if a bit eccentric. (Which pretty much describes the city.)  , US ()
New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House Reviews from the Web