HI - Honolulu - Waikiki Hostel

The Waikiki HI is centrally located and close to the bus routes and beach. It is an older three-story greenish building with tight security on a fairly quiet street. Check-in is upstairs. There is no elevator, but there are stairs. A key deposit is required for the key.

The rooms are clean (with fans) and have shelves to store your stuff. They also provide small lockers in the room for your valuables (remember to bring your own lock!). The bathroom is shared by the dorm.

The hostel provides a happy, colourful atmosphere, with travellers hanging out in the kitchen and diningroom. The kitchen is clean and the hostel provides a toaster, microwave, coffeemaker, fridge, freezer, and stove. There are shelves to store food and tables to sit at while having your meal. The lounge (with a TV) and diningroom area are adjacent to the kitchen. An internet computer is available to travellers. The kitchen is closed between 2 and 7am.

Parking is available at the hostel for a fee (currently $5 per day) and the staff can book shuttles to the airport. Follow the bus directions on the web site. Ask the driver if you are unsure. The hostel is five minutes from the bus stop. Walk towards the beach and you'll see a KFC, Burger King, and Subway. Turn left at the KFC and HI Waikiki is on the same block.

February 2005
How is HI - Honolulu - Waikiki Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Excellent location, friendly staff, perfectly clean I stayed for two nights after walking by and seeing the building. It was fairly empty (3 sharing a 6 bed dorm) and it felt more so because the dorms are more like two rooms that share a bathroom so it was quite private for a dorm! I'd say about half of the people staying there were really friendly and people were up for doing things together. The staff are nice and helpful, too. It was one of the cleanest hostels I've stayed in. It's not new by any means but it doesn't smell, the bathrooms are spotless and the kitchen is kept tidy. The sheets and rooms are clean. I guess there isn't much of an atmosphere if by atmosphere you mean a place to sit around and drink (no alcohol) but if you just want a nice place to sleep and meet people to do things it's great. It's true, the area is quite loud but it's not from people partying it's more the noises of a city. There is no aircon -- just fans. The wifi worked better in my room than in the common areas. I think it's a bit expensive and I didn't like having to pay $5 to store my bags on the day of check out, but everything around Waikiki is expensive so I guess it's acceptable. I'd stay here again, definitely.  , Australia ()
1   Bedbugs! Dirty, rundown, drab, and depressing This place was beyond dirty and in a state of disrepair. I awoke the first morning covered in bites. Staff were rude though out stay and just didn't seem to care about any guest concerns raised by several people. The place had no character and wasn't a happy place to be. I wouldn't go back nor recommend it. I'm confused about how this place could have such a good rating.  , age 25, Canada ()
1   Incredibly filthy, minimal security, tiny locker, rude staff. I stayed here a few years ago and was absolutely appalled by rudeness of staff, filthy bathrooms and dorms, never seen anyone clean the whole five days I stayed. Would have left but staff refused to give me a refund. Tiny locker, no place to put belongings and minimal security, horrible fight in men's dorm second night of stay, police called and staff very angry, nasty to everyone. I am a member of Hi's and have stayed in dozens of Hi's in canada, all wonderful experience. My experience here was absolutely horrific, like a nitemare on Elm St. I don't understand the high rating, unless things have improved, certainly not going back to find out.  , Canadian ()
2  The good, Location, main waikiki beach right around the corner. The bad, Beds need new pillows and mattress, overall appearance of hostel needs a makeover. has so much potential to be a great hostel, but seems like no money is being spent of its overall appearance. No Wi-Fi. No free breakfast, kinda an average hostel, doesnt have character. Kinda a boring hostel, I personally wouldnt stay again since there are other hostels down the street to check out.  , USA ()
3   Great location! This hostel was in a great location. All the staff i encountered were friendly and helpful. The studio room I stayed at was ok but the furniture was minimal. We didn't get any room cleaning but that was fine by me. In my opinion the price could be a bit cheaper. If you stay here you are paying for the location not for the luxury of the room.  , Australia ()
1   This place does not deserve one star This "hostel" is far from the normal standard that I've ever experienced at any HI hostel. I've stayed in Canadian, other U.S.A. and U.K. hostels over the last five years, and this would have to be the worst ever! I booked a private room for three nights as I'd just flown in that evening and generally these rooms are kept to a slightly higher standard. I was also looking forward to some backpacker friendly atmosphere by staying at an HI hostel. The room was dirty, bathroom in poor condition, and a totally unsecured room with louvre windows at waist height next to the door just asking for someone to slide one out and get to your gear. I couldn't even shut them as they had been fixed open. After approaching the manager calmly and explaining my disappointment first thing the next morning, the only offer of refund was for the last night (of three) even though it was 8 a.m. of the first day. After I told this guy the room's standard is far from good enough, he also told me to go and pack all my stuff but still refused to refund the other night. I didn't get threatened with the police, but I'm sure he would have if I'd bothered to argue the point any further. I agree, don't waste your holiday by staying here!  , Australia ()
5   Frickin joy i came back here August 2008, i loved the the last time i stayed, and it was as awesome as ever! the rooms and bathrooms are scrubbed daily! the kitchen is always clean and tidy. the staff are super sweet and the hostel has the best location -- less than two minutes walk to waikiki main beach. It's the safest hostel i have ever stayed in, and i dont know if it's just blind luck, but all the people i met staying there were totally cool too.  , australia ()
5   Bright, airy, clean, safe, cheap, and in a great location I stayed at the hostel for two nights in April, 2008. Roberts Hawaii has an $8 shuttle bus (air-conditioned!) door-to-door service from Arrivals at the airport to the hostel. The room was very clean and bright. The mattress and pillow were very comfy, but the sheets were very worn and frayed -- but hey! It's a hostel! The kitchen was spotless. I saw the girl from the front desk clean it throughout the day. The staff are incredibly fun and friendly, but professional. They can direct to all the sights easily by bus. The each is less than a five-minute walk. I honestly cannot think of anything negative to say.  , Canada ()
HI - Honolulu - Waikiki Hostel Reviews from the Web