HI - Honolulu - Waikiki Hostel

HI - Honolulu - Waikiki Hostel is a great option for exploring everything Waikiki has to offer if you are looking for a no-frills hostel.

The hostel is located on quiet Prince Edward Street in a secure bright blue/green, multi-story apartment building just a block back from Waikiki Beach. It is in a great spot with bars, restaurants, and the beach all within walking distance and if you need to go further afield then most likely the bus you need will stop on one of the two main streets (Kuhio or Kalakaua) running parallel to Prince Edward Street.

Parking is available underneath the hostel in a secure parking lot (there is a per-day cost as well as a key deposit). If coming from the airport, the shuttle companies can drop you off at the door or if you only have a small bag then you can catch a public bus to just around the corner on Kuhio Street.

There is a wide range of room options available at HI - Honolulu - Waikiki Hostel, including dorm rooms and privates. Single-sex dorm rooms all have six beds that are split up into three beds on each side of a shared bathroom and have small lockers in the room. Privates are available in twin, double, and a family room that fits four. We stayed in the twin, which is a very sparse and not-very-inviting room that just has a bunk, complete with thin plastic covered mattress and zebra-print sheets, a bin, and a few hooks on the wall. The room is also connected by a padlocked door to a dorm room, so sound travels from the room next door. The windows are also only made of overlapping glass shutters that you can open and close to let in air, but they never fully close so sound comes in through them too. All privates come with a small en suite bathroom, which -- like the room itself -- could do with some love and some investment in some bathmats, as they just leave an old towel to use instead.

There is one main common area situated on the first floor, which has a kitchen equipped with stove, microwave, and anything else you need to cook a basic meal. There's also a dining area with a few tables and chairs and a lounge area with a TV and some books to read. It is quite a small space with limited seating, so it doesn’t invite much socializing and no one was really talking to each other during our stay. Alcohol is also not permitted in the hostel, which probably has an impact on the lack of vibe. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the hostel. There is also snorkels, beach mats, and boogie boards that you can borrow for free during your stay. Laundry facilities are also available.

The owner is mainly the only staff member you see the entire day and it seems like a role he has been put into through obligation and doesn't seem to enjoy it, but he did get us into our room very quickly when we arrived hours before check-in and was helpful with anything we needed.

Summary

This hostel is a good option for someone who wants a cheap, no-frills base that is really close to everything you need in Waikiki but you can still get a reasonably good night’s sleep, provided you can sleep on the thin mattresses. With a little love, this hostel has the potential to be great but at the moment it is lacking that wow factor.

by keppers
July 2015
How is HI - Honolulu - Waikiki Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Excellent location, friendly staff, perfectly clean I stayed for two nights after walking by and seeing the building. It was fairly empty (3 sharing a 6 bed dorm) and it felt more so because the dorms are more like two rooms that share a bathroom so it was quite private for a dorm! I'd say about half of the people staying there were really friendly and people were up for doing things together. The staff are nice and helpful, too. It was one of the cleanest hostels I've stayed in. It's not new by any means but it doesn't smell, the bathrooms are spotless and the kitchen is kept tidy. The sheets and rooms are clean. I guess there isn't much of an atmosphere if by atmosphere you mean a place to sit around and drink (no alcohol) but if you just want a nice place to sleep and meet people to do things it's great. It's true, the area is quite loud but it's not from people partying it's more the noises of a city. There is no aircon -- just fans. The wifi worked better in my room than in the common areas. I think it's a bit expensive and I didn't like having to pay $5 to store my bags on the day of check out, but everything around Waikiki is expensive so I guess it's acceptable. I'd stay here again, definitely.  , Australia ()
1   Bedbugs! Dirty, rundown, drab, and depressing This place was beyond dirty and in a state of disrepair. I awoke the first morning covered in bites. Staff were rude though out stay and just didn't seem to care about any guest concerns raised by several people. The place had no character and wasn't a happy place to be. I wouldn't go back nor recommend it. I'm confused about how this place could have such a good rating.  , age 25, Canada ()
1   Incredibly filthy, minimal security, tiny locker, rude staff. I stayed here a few years ago and was absolutely appalled by rudeness of staff, filthy bathrooms and dorms, never seen anyone clean the whole five days I stayed. Would have left but staff refused to give me a refund. Tiny locker, no place to put belongings and minimal security, horrible fight in men's dorm second night of stay, police called and staff very angry, nasty to everyone. I am a member of Hi's and have stayed in dozens of Hi's in canada, all wonderful experience. My experience here was absolutely horrific, like a nitemare on Elm St. I don't understand the high rating, unless things have improved, certainly not going back to find out.  , Canadian ()
2  The good, Location, main waikiki beach right around the corner. The bad, Beds need new pillows and mattress, overall appearance of hostel needs a makeover. has so much potential to be a great hostel, but seems like no money is being spent of its overall appearance. No Wi-Fi. No free breakfast, kinda an average hostel, doesnt have character. Kinda a boring hostel, I personally wouldnt stay again since there are other hostels down the street to check out.  , USA ()
3   Great location! This hostel was in a great location. All the staff i encountered were friendly and helpful. The studio room I stayed at was ok but the furniture was minimal. We didn't get any room cleaning but that was fine by me. In my opinion the price could be a bit cheaper. If you stay here you are paying for the location not for the luxury of the room.  , Australia ()
1   This place does not deserve one star This "hostel" is far from the normal standard that I've ever experienced at any HI hostel. I've stayed in Canadian, other U.S.A. and U.K. hostels over the last five years, and this would have to be the worst ever! I booked a private room for three nights as I'd just flown in that evening and generally these rooms are kept to a slightly higher standard. I was also looking forward to some backpacker friendly atmosphere by staying at an HI hostel. The room was dirty, bathroom in poor condition, and a totally unsecured room with louvre windows at waist height next to the door just asking for someone to slide one out and get to your gear. I couldn't even shut them as they had been fixed open. After approaching the manager calmly and explaining my disappointment first thing the next morning, the only offer of refund was for the last night (of three) even though it was 8 a.m. of the first day. After I told this guy the room's standard is far from good enough, he also told me to go and pack all my stuff but still refused to refund the other night. I didn't get threatened with the police, but I'm sure he would have if I'd bothered to argue the point any further. I agree, don't waste your holiday by staying here!  , Australia ()
5   Frickin joy i came back here August 2008, i loved the the last time i stayed, and it was as awesome as ever! the rooms and bathrooms are scrubbed daily! the kitchen is always clean and tidy. the staff are super sweet and the hostel has the best location -- less than two minutes walk to waikiki main beach. It's the safest hostel i have ever stayed in, and i dont know if it's just blind luck, but all the people i met staying there were totally cool too.  , australia ()
5   Bright, airy, clean, safe, cheap, and in a great location I stayed at the hostel for two nights in April, 2008. Roberts Hawaii has an $8 shuttle bus (air-conditioned!) door-to-door service from Arrivals at the airport to the hostel. The room was very clean and bright. The mattress and pillow were very comfy, but the sheets were very worn and frayed -- but hey! It's a hostel! The kitchen was spotless. I saw the girl from the front desk clean it throughout the day. The staff are incredibly fun and friendly, but professional. They can direct to all the sights easily by bus. The each is less than a five-minute walk. I honestly cannot think of anything negative to say.  , Canada ()
HI - Honolulu - Waikiki Hostel Reviews from the Web