Athens International Youth Hostel

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Athens International Youth Hostel" at 16 Victor Hugo Street.)

16 Victor Hugo Street, Athens (Athinai), Attica, Greece
+30 210 523 2049
+30 210 523 2049

How is Athens International Youth Hostel rated on other websites?

Very bad service
I made the mistake of booking 5 nights in advance, and when I saw the room I saw it was a bad idea. There were only top bunks available and without sides! So while you are sleeping you could easily fall down 4 feet and be badly injured. So I went back down and politely asked to change room, but he didn't want to give me a dorm to myself even though they were available. The receptionist was very rude and unprofessional. When I tried to get a refund for 4 nights he said the check in time had passed, so I could only get the last 3 nights. So I agreed but he said I would have to leave immediately. So pay for a night I wouldn't be there. I insisted on the 24 hour refund and he said this was not a rule even though it is written on all their descriptions on the hostel booking websites. When I insisted he lost his temper and said he "didn't give a shit about the rules" and told me to call the tourist police. I said I might do but first I would call the company office, "GrecoHostels." That's when he panicked and told me to leave immediately and would give me a full refund. I said I would stay tonight because it was late but he said I was not welcome. This guy should not be working in a hostel or any sector where there are customers. I will complain about him to GrecoHostels and hopefully he will lose the job.
2016-04-26

The place was ok
Good reception, people were kind and helpful. However, the shower in the bathroom was not good. We had to hold it when taking a bath, what is uncomfortable. Moreover, there was just one electrical outlet in the bedroom and everybody wanted to use it. The place is near to subway and supermarket.
Nathalia
2013-04-17

Clean, cheap, nice people, close to metro station
The hostel is run by nice people, open 24 hours, it is clean and has all the facilities you can need -- kitchen, internet, laundry. Not only in the hostel but also in the whole Greece I met a lot of helpful and nice people! I will be back!
Dominika
(Poland)
2012-10-01

So much potential, but not used
cheap place, but try to get the upper rooms and facing the front for balcony. we had fun, got drunk, and threw over the rails water-filled condoms to Limo below, simple european fun. we would return, but i have to convince my friends first. old building, hot hot -- not the good way.
Johann
(German)
2007-06-30

Not too bad for Athens
You get what you paid for! I didn't actually find the rooms too dirty (though I must say I wasn't expecting any average standards of cleanliness in a hostel in Athens). Bed sheets are clean. There is an elevator. The people at the reception speak Italian fairly good (and the other main languages as well). They're not too friendly but ok. I got the chance to make friends of my age, eighteen (anyhow I saw people of all ages staying here). The metro line is not far and takes you easily to the centre. There is a small supermarket nearby and many restaurants. The area is creepy, in particular at night time. Boiling Hot! No a/c, or any ventilation system. Plus my roommates were scared to open the window. There are lockers in the room but only big for your suitcase to fit in. No room to place your belongings. Anyhow I'll come back if I had to.
Valentina
(Italy)
2007-05-19
  We stayed there twice in the last two weeks. The first two nights of our holiday, we had a room with bathroom, which was all clean and a balcony. Unfortunately, when we came back the last day, we didn't have a balcony anymore and were woken up by the daycare next door. Some of the staff were friendly, some were not, but, they all spoke English and that's a big plus. It was very easy to get there thanks to the metro that's just at the end of the street. I did meet some fun people there (though we had to sit outside, as alcohol was not allowed).
Margaux
2006-09-16
  The rooms were cramped, there was writing all over the walls, and the wallpaper was peeling but the people were friendly and the location was good.
Kath
2006-08-03
  We (my wife, now aged 68 and I, aged 72) have stayed at this VERY FRIENDLY and FANTASTICALLY CHEAP hostel MANY (over 10) times over the last 20 years. What do people expect for such a ridiculously LOW price? (compared with other options in Athens) We have unhesitatingly recommended it over the years to friends ,who have ALL loved it (logically taking into consideration the shabby (but NOT dirty things) while appreciating the LOW price and friendliness). -We last used it in Oct 2005 , so are not talking in the past .---- Also it is VERY close(200 mtrs) to new subway station . We have never encountered guests complaining --on the contrary they have been amazed at the value & enthusiastic! I am staggered by the negative comments on this site --obviously only spoiled whingers take the bother to comment!
john