Reykjavik City Hostel

The staff of HI - Reykjavik City Hostel are very helpful and respond to your queries immediately so as to make your stay very delightful.

Some will say that its location is somewhat out of the way, as it is a thirty-minute walk from the town centre. However, it is right next to the main swimming pool; easy to find as it is on a main road; and within walking distance of Reykjavik family park and zoo, the botanical garden, and the ferry to Videy. Bus No. 14 drives right next to the hostel and takes you to the town centre. It is quite regular, but on weekends it starts working rather late. If another form of transport is needed to the centre, the receptionist on request books a taxi for you.

Rooms are offered with shared or with a private bathroom. The rooms could be slightly cleaner as there is some slight filth on the floor, but nothing alarming. On the other hand, the water from the shower can make a mess in the bathroom as there is no proper tray to keep the water from spreading all over. Quilts and pillows are given for use, but you must bring the covers also unless you're prepared to pay extra for the linen and towels.

The three kitchens for use have good cooking facilities. Some free food left by others may be available, but it's always best to bring your own. There are loads of leaflets to help you through with your stay in the common areas. Wi-Fi access with a mobile phone is very poor -- be prepared to have difficulties connecting unless you try early in the morning when there are very few users.

The only thing against this hostel is the distance from the centre of town, but most people use their own rental car in Iceland, so that isn't much of an issue -- especially if you're saving a bunch of money.
by George Mangion
August 2012

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Reykjavik City Hostel" at Sundlaugavegur 34.)

Sundlaugavegur 34, Reykjavík (Reykjavik), Capital Region, Iceland
64.146734, -21.882706
info@hostel.is, reykjavikcity@hostel.is, sirra@hostel.is
(+354) 553-8110
(+354) 588-9201

How is Reykjavik City Hostel rated on other websites?

very clean. bit of a walk into the center but one of the best hostels i've stayed in. staff very helpful when booking tours.
Excelent hostel -- it's more like a fair good, decent hotel
One of the best hostels i've ever been to -- clean, safe, and very nice. I went there in november and absolutely liked it -- especially the free wireless and well, the food wasn't that bad. I'm looking forward to go back to Iceland soon and if so, i'm staying there for sure.
  It was well cool! I stayed here on a school residential trip. Me and my mate Claire had a good laugh with the reception staff at 2:00 a.m. when we broke a vending machine! The food was nice and the rooms were cozy and satisfying. It was a nice place to stay for a few nights.
  I would like to say thank you to Ryan and Matinka, who made my trip to Iceland good. They are the staff of the hostel and I miss them already. I'm going to beat you in table tennis next time I see you, Ryan. This hostel was lovely, and I want to recommend it to everybody!
  Pure magic! This is the best hostel I have stayed in. It's totally what I expected and more. It's clean, and has different lounge areas, etc. I was here in December and it was quiet. I had a four-person room to myself and the en suite showers were grand. It is a decent walk from here to the city center, but if it's not raining then it's a nice walk. Use cold water for cooking; it doesn't smell as bad. The naturally hot water has a sulphur smell to it.
Jeff From Wpg Canada
  An excellent hostel, with a nice and helpful staff! It has clean rooms and a cool kitchen. I would love to stay here again if I get another chance to visit Iceland !
Chan, China
  We booked a private room for four--us and our two young children--for the beginning and the tail-end of our two-week stay in Iceland. We were extremely happy with the cleanliness of the whole hostel, the well-equipped kitchen, and the fact that our private room was far away from the dorm rooms--which meant we didn't have to worry about late night party-goers, and they didn't have to worry about children talking and laughing at the crack of dawn. Great price, also. Highly recommended for a small family.
If busy hostels are your thing, then Reykjavik is the place for you! Full of life, and a musical mix of different languages, this hostel is classy and purpose built, catering for all types of backpackers. It has quiet ensuite rooms (with hairdryers) for couples, through to loud single sex (they don´t stay that way for long) dorm rooms for the socialite. All have large comfortable rooms with great pillows, warm duvets, and excellent heating. It's not expensive by Icelandic standards, and worth it for the showers alone! Communial areas are away from most of the rooms, and like the entire hostel, are kept very clean. The two seperate kitchens are well equipped, although when busy, the single stove top (no ovens) may get you queing. The reception holds a treasure of Icelandic information, and can book almost anything for you, including the flybus to the airport, which picks up and drops off at the front door (costs around 1000 kronur from the airport, just ask for the hostel). If you have an allergy to hyperactive school kids, then book a private room, (with bedside lights, and plenty of plugs for charging your batteries) or leave your bags in the free lockup and escape into the city, only 15 minutes walk away. The laundry is expensive, save it for another hostel. There are supermarkets nearby, internet at the reception, and a cheap hot pool next door.
Jeremy Smith