Reykjavik City Hostel

The staff of HI - Reykjavik City Hostel are very helpful and respond to your queries immediately so as to make your stay very delightful.

Some will say that its location is somewhat out of the way, as it is a thirty-minute walk from the town centre. However, it is right next to the main swimming pool; easy to find as it is on a main road; and within walking distance of Reykjavik family park and zoo, the botanical garden, and the ferry to Videy. Bus No. 14 drives right next to the hostel and takes you to the town centre. It is quite regular, but on weekends it starts working rather late. If another form of transport is needed to the centre, the receptionist on request books a taxi for you.

Rooms are offered with shared or with a private bathroom. The rooms could be slightly cleaner as there is some slight filth on the floor, but nothing alarming. On the other hand, the water from the shower can make a mess in the bathroom as there is no proper tray to keep the water from spreading all over. Quilts and pillows are given for use, but you must bring the covers also unless you're prepared to pay extra for the linen and towels.

The three kitchens for use have good cooking facilities. Some free food left by others may be available, but it's always best to bring your own. There are loads of leaflets to help you through with your stay in the common areas. Wi-Fi access with a mobile phone is very poor -- be prepared to have difficulties connecting unless you try early in the morning when there are very few users.

Summary

The only thing against this hostel is the distance from the centre of town, but most people use their own rental car in Iceland, so that isn't much of an issue -- especially if you're saving a bunch of money.

August 2012

How is Reykjavik City Hostel rated on other websites?
Reykjavik City Hostel Reviews from the Web
5  very clean. bit of a walk into the center but one of the best hostels i've stayed in. staff very helpful when booking tours.  , welsh ()
5   Excelent hostel -- it's more like a fair good, decent hotel One of the best hostels i've ever been to -- clean, safe, and very nice. I went there in november and absolutely liked it -- especially the free wireless and well, the food wasn't that bad. I'm looking forward to go back to Iceland soon and if so, i'm staying there for sure.  , Mexico ()
4  It was well cool! I stayed here on a school residential trip. Me and my mate Claire had a good laugh with the reception staff at 2:00 a.m. when we broke a vending machine! The food was nice and the rooms were cozy and satisfying. It was a nice place to stay for a few nights.  ()
5  I would like to say thank you to Ryan and Matinka, who made my trip to Iceland good. They are the staff of the hostel and I miss them already. I'm going to beat you in table tennis next time I see you, Ryan. This hostel was lovely, and I want to recommend it to everybody!  ()
5  Pure magic! This is the best hostel I have stayed in. It's totally what I expected and more. It's clean, and has different lounge areas, etc. I was here in December and it was quiet. I had a four-person room to myself and the en suite showers were grand. It is a decent walk from here to the city center, but if it's not raining then it's a nice walk. Use cold water for cooking; it doesn't smell as bad. The naturally hot water has a sulphur smell to it.  ()
5  An excellent hostel, with a nice and helpful staff! It has clean rooms and a cool kitchen. I would love to stay here again if I get another chance to visit Iceland !  ()
5  We booked a private room for four--us and our two young children--for the beginning and the tail-end of our two-week stay in Iceland. We were extremely happy with the cleanliness of the whole hostel, the well-equipped kitchen, and the fact that our private room was far away from the dorm rooms--which meant we didn't have to worry about late night party-goers, and they didn't have to worry about children talking and laughing at the crack of dawn. Great price, also. Highly recommended for a small family.  ()