The Base Backpackers

Situated halfway between Maputo's downtown (Baixa) and the fish market, and only one stone away from the Avenida 24th of July and its restaurant and shops, the base is a very friendly hostel with clean rooms and helpful staff. It has small dorms (up to 6 beds) with clean toilets, and showers. And in the common kitchen you have free use of oil and spices. There used to be an in-house bar which unfortunately is gone, but you can still buy sodas and cheap beers and then enjoy them looking at the beautiful views of Maputo Bay from the balcony in the back.

The hostel is close to the French-Portuguese cultural centre and its free concerts and activities. And it's only a nce downhill walk away from Maputo's old town and its attractions (the fort, the craft market, the train station designed by eiffel, the fair).

It is at times used as an overnight stop-over place by overland track tours so it can be very busy one day and dead calm the next. There's a laundry service, internet access, and lots of interesting inputs and infos on what to do and where to have a good time while you're in town. It's walking distance from the drop off/departing point of the buses to Nelspruit/Johannesburg and the staff can arrange transport to the bus depot of Transportes Oliveiras (to continue north toward the beaches and islands of Tofo, Vilankulo), or to the minibuses going to Swaziland and South Africa.

February 2004

How is The Base Backpackers rated on other websites?
5   A warm welcome to a vibrant city a great place to get to know Maputo, especially considering location, staff and other visitors. The facilities met every expectation I had in a backpackers. The terrace was just one of the icings on the cake. I'll be back!  , age 24, Germany ()
4   The Base is the Base I have stayed at the base in 2010 and found good reason to back there in 2011 ... Going back to Mozambique in 2012, I will definitely use it as my base camp while exploring the city and the villages and islands around it. friendly staff as well!!  , South Africa ()
5   Base the staff and service have always been GREAT everytime we've stayed there (must be 4/5 times).  , south africa ()
3   I had a very good stay I visited a couple time the base backpaker in maputo, the staff is very friendly, I always enjoy my stay when i visit the hostel. the prices are very affordable among the cheapest in the area, quality accommodation at low prices, even though i spend mostly 2days max. they had a very nice sea view of maputo bay from the terrace, it really refreshing at night, you know the weather is quite hot. if you visit maputo, you should definitely stop by, I strongly recommend you the base. enjoy your stay.  , gabon ()
5   Fantastic! Rooms are great!  , South Africa ()
4   Exactly what a backpacker should be! The Base is welcoming and friendly. The staff are always helpful and the location was central, allowing me to get around Maputo easily. Keep up the good work!  , South African ()
5   Great One of my favorite places I stayed in Africa. Our downstairs double was only $22 a night. The staff was great. They could answer any questions we had with ease and were more than happy to do so. They really knew the area well. To help out even more they give a map of that side of town. Just about everything is within walking distance of The Base. They also have a shuttle heading up north to Tofo at 5:30 every morning which is very convenient if heading up north. They also have a kitchen and a patio with a great view overlooking Maputo Bay. One may want to book in advance as it is so small that it did seem to fill up fast. They had no open rooms the day we left.  , USA ()
4   Great we traveled mozambique and found the base to be courteous and welcoming. luis made us feel very welcome and at ease. although it is not the ritz everything that they portrayed was adequate and sufficient. we would have no problem in recommending this hostel, only thing is to bring your own beers for consumption as they cant make sure that the beer they put in the fridge for guests will still be there when you come back from a night out (label your stuff).anything you need to know about mozambique you can ask as the staff are very, very helpful, thanks luis. really sound place.  , ireland ()