Base Wellington Backpackers

Base Wellington is a funky place. The reception area is bright and cheerful with a cafe, internet access with the ability to print digital photos, and even a tank of turtles! The dorms are spacious and clean and this is one place where the bunk beds don't wobble or squeek (yet!).

The communal areas are all bright and tidy. The bathrooms are spotless and even feature disinfectant wipes to clean the loo seat before use! The girls' bathrooms feature hairdryers -- a nice touch, given the chilly Wellington wind! There is a TV lounge with comfy seating and a reasonably well-equipped kitchen which appeared to be fairly clean and tidy. There is also a basement bar, which has regular promotions and on-going discounts for Base guests.

Base is located opposite the Embassy cinema (home to the 2003 World Premiere of Lord of The Rings 3). It is just around the corner from Courtenay Place -- the main eating and entertainment area of the city.

From the airport, jump on the 'Flyer' bus and if arriving by ferry, train or Intercity bus, catch any local bus heading to Courtenay Place, where you can also get off the Flyer bus. Head along the street so that the Embassy cinema is in front of you and at the crossroads turn right. Base is a few doors along. It is a tall white building with a huge red 'X' painted on the side. Impossible to miss.

August 2004
How is Base Wellington Backpackers rated on other websites?
Base Wellington Backpackers Reviews from the Web
4   Warm, Comfortable and friendly Great views of the harbour from the 8th floor, en suite and quiet. It was perfect, with helpful and friendly staff. Thanks guys, you made the trip a success.  , UK ()
4   Very good Stayed here in December 2008. Great location -- right in the centre of Wellington. Rooms were in need of a bit of a facelift, but were spacious enough and clean. Great bar on site (in the basement). I think they also had free breakfast if you're up early enough!  , England ()
1   Worst backpakers in New Zealand When I arrived to Base I thought it was a great Backpackers, but it was not so, the staff were very unpleasant and try to charge you all they can, they think you're a dollar sign.  , Chile ()
4   Top hostel, average rooms We stayed here in December 2008 in a double room. The room was basic and a bit "stale" but the en-suite was clean. Double rooms are on the top floors so you get a great view out over the city. Great location for getting out and about with cheap eateries and bars on the doorstep. Bar is down in the basement with great staff, funky seating, pool table, and all round great atmosphere. Wellington is a great city with plenty to do (much better than Auckland!). The museum there (Te Papa) is outstanding -- learn all about the place and, best of all, it's free!  , England ()
5   Like staying in a swanky hotel! I was surprised at how nice the en-suite rooms were -- and also, at how cheap they were! We stayed here in 2004. We had great views of the city, and frankly, the entire place was better than the allegedly four-star bed and breakfast we'd stayed at in Auckland (the only splurge of our honeymoon). The only downside I found was that I wasn't able to find other people to socialize with in this hostel, but it may have in part been because we were a thirties-ish married couple, and most everyone staying here seemed to be in the twenty-one-ish range. I would absolutely stay here again.  , USA ()
4   A really nice place This backpackers was really clean, great amenities, so close to really great restaurants too! Really recommended.  , New Zealand ()
1  Not impressed at all with this hostel, staff had no idea of my booking when I arrived -- which was made via email -- horrible wobbly bunks, the place lacked spark (no vibe) -- especially for a Friday night! won't be staying again.  , New Zealand ()
4  I really like the hostel. It was well located for all the sights and amenities. It was really safe for a solo female traveller. The Sanctuary was brilliant, I stayed at Base in Wellington on two different occasions in the Sanctuary and for most nights there were only one or two others in the room! The bathrooms were spotless and spacious (best showers I had in NZ)! The downsides were the communal areas -- otherwise it would get five stars! I had food nicked on both stays and there was no room in the fridges, the kitchen was too small. The reception is good and the staff are really friendly. I would go back, but I would eat out!  ()