Worldwide Backpackers

Outside of the hostel
From the streetFrom the street
come on inAl frescoDouble BedroomOutside on the Deck

Worldwide Backpacker sits on Terrace Street, just 5 minutes up the hill from the main center of Wellington. It's close enough to be near the action, but far enough to avoid the noise of Cuba Street. It is a 15 minute walk to the train station.

Although it could be considered a medium sized hostel, it never felt crowded or too busy. The dorm rooms are clean and cozy, albeit a bit cramped at times. Outside there are several chairs and tables for hanging out. Inside, there is a nice kitchen area with a large table for eating. There is also a TV lounge with movies playing each night ($1 payment by the honesty system). There are also washers and dryers available.

A big bonus to this backpacker is the free internet, for which there are two computers available until 9 each night, and one in the kitchen area available 24 hours a day. Also each night they serve wine (the box variety) and breakfast is available each morning. All in all, this is a comfortable and friendly backpacker. Recommended.

December 2004
How is Worldwide Backpackers rated on other websites?
Worldwide Backpackers Reviews from the Web
1   DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU WANT TO SLEEP! Booked the queen and got the double. The double room's door is directly on to the outdoor smoking area allowing you the opportunity to share other guests smoke and conversation into the early hours whether you want to or not. If you are looking for any semblance of privacy do not stay here.  , British ()
5   What a great place!!! Stayed here for three weeks after only intending to stay two nights. This place has a great atmosphere and the staff are very welcoming and would do anything to help. The building is historic and one of the originals in Wellington which adds to its character. I found the place to be very clean, beds comfy, and other guests friendly and welcoming. I'll be back, for sure.  , Spain ()
5   My new zealand home For anyone wanting to instantly be welcomed into a great group of people from around the world, WWB is for you. There was a great mix of both long termers and short termers to keep things fun and interesting. When I stayed, there was always something going on. By far, the best hostel I've stayed at in NZ. It really does feel like home.  , Canada ()
1   Extremely poor We arrived late at night and our room was by the sidewalk with a bed and a hole in the wall where the heater is and a board propped in front of it. The sheets and bedspread were threadbare and I am not sure how clean. Outside/inside was jammed with people drinking (free wine)/partying. The place was filthy in/out. We changed our minds. we were pointed to a phone that wasn't there if we wanted to do something different. Absolutely no help and staff left. We did find another hotel. Called the owner the next day to get a refund for the second night. The only way that I could get it back was if I personally came back, picked up the cash. Extremely rude, hung up on me twice. Would not ever recommend this place to anyone. Staff extremely rude, place filthy, very noisy because of the partying.  , USA ()
1   Give it a big miss! Spent two nights at this hostel which had been described as boutique in an advertisement. This place is not boutique. It is bottom of the range accommodation. Showers and toilets unclean, noisy at night due to the partying on front veranda and other guests slamming doors (bed shakes with the reverberations!), have to push your way through the partying to get to door, rooms small, thin and washed out sheets and duvet cover, rooms so small you could not swing a cat. However, if you want free internet, breakfast, and are not fussed about hygiene this may be the place for you. TV room couldnt be used for watching TV as randoms sleep on the sofas etc in sleeping bags -- not sure if they are paying guests! I do not recommend this place to anyone. there was a mum and baby there last night.  , New Zealand ()
1  Just been refused a room because we have a baby. We've been backpacking a lot and more specifically in New Zealand these months and it never happened. A guy snogging his girlfriend said a backpacker is not a proper place for a baby (I think he was kind of close from being one himself). Very surprised I'm a party animal too but know how to deal with living in a community. Please don't go there, lack of management.  , French ()
1  I stayed in this hostel in January, 2002 and somebody staying in my room actually did vomit right outside the bedroom door while on one of his many trips to the bathroom that night. He was fined $50 and I, along with my roommates received a crate of beer from one of the staff members as "compensation."  ()
1  Second time I've stayed there and the last time I will. Unless you want to stay in a party house -- look elsewhere. Noisy drunk people everywhere and management are either condoning it or not around. Stayed two nights and couldnt believe the difference from our first visit about five to seven years ago. if it was advertised correctly it should say 'party house.' When other guests are running around yelling and screaming and you hear girls saying they think they are going to vomit outside your room it sort of loses its appeal. The doorbell rings all the time when the drinking is happening which makes you wonder how secure the place is. Another guest (not with us) had to take a sleeping pill to get sleep. Never again!  ()