Jazz on the Park Hostel

How is Jazz on the Park Hostel rated on other websites?
5   Best Hostel in NYC!! I have been staying in hostels in NYC for 10 years.Jazz on the Park is THE best hostel in the city. Period, full stop! Security, cleanliness, location, activities, and price are the best. IN Manhattan. Not Queens, Not Bronx, Not Brooklyn! A lot of travelers don't understand that Manhattan IS NYC. While technically the other boroughs are part of New York City, Manhattan is where everything is located. Times Square, 5th Ave. shopping, Central Park, MOMA, NYU, Wall Street. I also have to give Pedro at the front desk a shout as he goes beyond being just helpful and friendly!  , USA ()
1   Horrible! Never again! This stay was nothing but stress! The bunk beds almost fall apart once you climb up there, the beds are more than uncomfortable, the bugs are walking through the bed, the bathrooms are disgusting you don't want to touch anything even the door handles are sticky as hell, almost no possibilities to hang it lay your things somewhere while showering (except on dirty places), the stuff is not welcoming and for every single thing such as internet, luggage storage they charge extra money! What a bad hostel!!! Don't book it!!  , age 31, Denmark ()
2   Dirty the hostel doesn't offer breakfast as it says in the website, and when i mention the receptionist was not nice and said "yes, the website is wrong". I stayed in the first floor and there was no bathroom, so everytime i had to go to the second floor to use it ... the bathrooms are dirty and disgusting. it's annoying.  , brazil ()
3   Unhelpful I reserved a bed for a night about 36 hours in advance. When I went there, I was told that I cannot stay because I am a resident of New York state. It was apparently some sort of a rule, and it says so somewhere (in some corner) in their website. I got back to them about an hour later and told them its already 9PM saturday night and all other hostels are full and I have nowhere to go, but they simply wouldn't let me stay, not even for one night. I AM an international student, only thing is, I am on a long-term visit to NY. I am not saying nothing is my fault, all I am saying is, 1. the staff is not very understanding, and unwilling to help you out when you're caught up by some stupid rule, and 2. they don't flash such an important rule in the monitor when you make your reservation and give your credit card details in advance. Tell you what, I was told that I'll still be charged some 70 odd bucks. for what, Jazz? Bottom line, don't expect any help from them if you find yourself in a tough situation.  ()
3   Horrible price-quality ration, but then it is NYC Had a private 2p room. It was fine, nothing special, but did pay over 80 dollars a night. Walls were thin so you could hear the water pipes pretty loudly, and the curtains were very light. Staff was not very friendly. No free wifi. Conclusion, for any other place, it would've been a 1 or 2 star rating, but seeing as everything in NYC is expensive, it's average.  , Netherlands ()
2   Brothel central I recently stayed at the Hostel on recommendation from a friend. The location is great, just off central park and close to the subway and the staff are very friendly. I found the rooms decently clean. However, our whole stay there, people where having sex in the small showers (bring flip flops, don't go barefoot), sex in the bathroom stalls, sex in the rooms when the girls and guys rooms are separated. I walked in on two teenagers on the second floor getting drunk and high at 1am in a toilet stall, the people decide it is ok to go stand outside in the courtyard and talk on the top of their lungs about anything and everything at all hours of the night, sometimes blasting music with no consideration that everyone can hear them in the rooms (windows shut). I could hear rats chewing something in the dark at night and teenagers running rampant slamming doors to the washroom the stairs and their room. Disrespectful. We where only there a few days but will never go again. Suck up the expense and go to a hotel.  , U.S ()
1   Don't be fooled by pictures I decided to stay at Jazz due to the location and reviews. I tried to focus on the positive knowing that some may just not used to hostels. However, I arrived and must say very disappointed with the hostel. I stayed with my two siblings and mother. Our room was not ready at the time of check in. We had to wait for them to clean the room for 1 hour. The staff made an excuse that if he knows that we were tired, he will have the room ready for us on time. I was like, 'are you kidding me? That is why I made a reservation so you can get the room ready when I checked in'. The key cards did not work properly after the room was not being ready. When I asked about the refund policy, the staff told me that they will charge us for a day even though our room was not ready then. The room itself is a joke. Honestly, I would recommend people to stay at YMCA, hotels in Brooklyn or Queens which will have the same great locations and convenience of subways. The location is great for sure, 3 blocks away from a subway station and is closed to central park but it is not worth the trouble. I am glad that I spent a night and decided to see it first before I booked a second night. I traveled NYC another day and drove away to stay in CT instead due to the poor service and lack of presentation on the website. At night, it is not safe as there were people who stayed in the hostel smoking marijuana outside. They were very loud as well.. almost like standing outside a night club. In the inside, during the day, is very loud, the music is blaring in the cafe area. The whole place is not vacation material. It is more 'party' material. Dont expect to have a quiet time during your stay. Staff is friendly for sure but under staff and not professional. When I booked, I was asked to call back in 30 minutes a couple times. When my reservation was wrong, I was asked to call back in 30 minutes several times. After I paid and left the hostel, I was charged for a night that I didnt stay. I would say, be really careful with this hostel and check out your credit card statement even after your vacation. Also, I had to call numerous times to settle the charges that I didnt authorize. Personally, take my advise and just dispute the charge through your credit card, it will be easier than going through them. Another tips for travelers: I sat in the lobby for a while and I must say that they charge different prices on different day and on different group. The website said that you can get discount if you booked online but you can never book online because it is full. If you call the hostel, they will tell you that you can get discount if you book online-- but since it does not work, they will give you a rate that is whatever they charge that day. When I called for my refund money, the staff told me that this kind of stuff happened all the times (that people being charged extra on their credit card). This is a sign on SCAM. You dont always happen to charge people on their credit card. They intended to investigate whether I was lying about canceling my reservation while I was not even in NYC yet. It is ridiculous, does not worth the time, and the frustrations (after vacation even). But you want a closer place to subway, not planning to sleep, worried about your belonging (unless if you pay extra for luggage storage) and eating cereal waiting in long line, walking up the stairs with your languages or being send to a different building with your big suitcases -- since they have two buildings for the hostels -- frustrated after your vacation due to extra charge (no telling if you are traveling overseas and lazy to dispute the extra charge), this is a place for you.  , TN ()
3   Good hostel, nothing less nothing more My stay at this hostel was pretty nice. The rooms were ok, the beds were ok, and the bathrooms were ok too. But the staff can be a bit more polite, our roommates camera got stolen in the hostel and they didn't want to show them the cct. Probably one of the staff members stole it himself, so please take good care of your stuff! My flipflops (Reef's) and some of our towels got stolen too. But after all, It's a normal hostel where you can meet people easily especially in the summer i think. The breakfast sucks but it's way too early anyway.  , Netherlands ()
Jazz on the Park Hostel Reviews from the Web