Hostel Merlin

Cesky Kromlov is a fantastic place, and Hostel Merlin is a fantastic hostel. The only thing I could complain about would be that it is a little cramped, but in this place I'd call it cosy. The rooms are very well kept and the bathrooms are modern and clean. The beds are reasonable -- and they're separate beds rather than bunks, which is a good bonus.

The receptionist/manager was very friendly and helpful and spoke very good English. A bonus is the free internet, although there is only one computer and it is only available during the day (i.e. while the manager is around). You will get your own key for the room which also lets you in the door downstairs when it is locked late at night.

One of the best things about Hostel Merlin is the location. It is right beside one of the three bridges in the old town centre, and will only take you 1-2 minutes to walk to the square. You couldn't ask for a nicer location, right next to the river in a lovely town.

Cesky Kromlov is one of the nicest towns to visit in one of the best and cheapest countries to go to in Europe. Hostel Merlin is one of the cheapest hostels I have stayed in, and it has to be one of my favourites.

December 2004
How is Hostel Merlin rated on other websites?
Hostel Merlin Reviews from the Web
3   Wizard's Attic Located as close to the center of town as possible, hostel Merlin provides an easy access to all of Cesky Krumlov's sights. The kitchen is basic but a welcome sight in a hostel so small. The main reason this hostel is only average is because it is so cramped. The bathrooms especially are quite small (don't expect to be able to stand up gents), and the lights are operated by motion sensors that seem to work about 40% of the time. Just stretching while lying in bed I managed to hit an overhead beam with my hand. This tightness of space also means that meeting or talking with people is rather unlikely. The staff were friendly (although one of the women did scream Czech obscenities at someone else on the phone), but are not particularly helpful when it comes to recommendations on what to eat.  , age 21, American ()
1  Warning! Do not visit this hostel -- there are plenty of good cheap hostels in Krumlov who will not try to extort extra money out of you or order you to leave in the night after you have paid! The owners insist on the right to refuse entry to anyone they wish (our crime was having a two-year-old daughter) and will call the police to make this happen. It's cheap and nice-looking, but its not worth it. This is the worst holiday experience ever in my life. I, my wife, and 2-year-old daughter were kicked out of this hotel-Pension Merlin in the middle of the night when most of the Hostel and Pension reception already closed and had to listen to lies and insults.  ()
5  Great location, but everything in Cesky Krumlov is so close anyways! The best accomodations for your money! Make sure you ask for an extra blanket though.  ()
4  This place is wonderful. The location is great. The rooms and bathrooms are clean. There are REAL, fully stocked kitchens to use. The balcony and patio are great for relaxing on. There is free Internet. The girl who worked there was sometimes hard to find, and spoke minimal English but was super friendly. This place was also ridiculously cheap. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend this place to everyone.  ()
5  We stayed here on our Eastern Europe trip, and by far it is absolutely the BEST hostel I've ever come across!  ()
5  We arrived at this hostel with our two children and were immediately impressed. The location is ideal, it's clean, and it's cheap. It has friendly staff, too. We stayed an extra three nights, and will definitely go back. I'd love to see it in Winter.  ()
1  I showed up here with a reservation and was told that I didn't have one and all the rooms were gone--even though I had an printed email from the day before confirming it. Be wary, or you will find yourself searching for another place to stay!  ()
4  Excellent location. Casually run hostel with comfortable atmosphere in a charming old town building.  ()