Chelsea Highline Youth Hotel

How is Chelsea Highline Youth Hotel rated on other websites?
1   Worst hostel ever We only stayed here because we had friends staying in the area, and wanted to be close to them. I've stayed in 24 hostels in the past 10 years and this is by far the worst hostel ever. It's overpriced too, even for the area. You can get a nice apartment for 2 persons for about the same price. We arrived at 2.45PM, but had to wait 15 minutes in the cold lobby, because they only allowed people to check-in at 3PM. At 3PM we had to wait in line for 30min before we got a key. There were 3 people behind the desk, but they were extremely slow. We didn't get any information/maps. When we got to our room, they were still cleaning it. We actually saw the "cleaning" -- 4 people in the room chatting and spraying cleaner on the floor, which was still sticky when we finally were allowed to enter our room. In the evening we realized we didn't get towels, so we asked at the front desk. We were told they were out of towels and would get them at 11AM the next morning. Great for a 1 night stay. We told them we'd use our sheets and bedding, and they were very disinterested. If we only knew this on beforehand, we would have brought our own towels, and it wouldn't have been a problem. Also, if the hostel would have a nice common room, these small problems would have been OK, but the hostel had no friendliness/atmosphere at all. The breakfast is some toast (there was only 1 toaster for about 25 people) on plastic plates. The common fridge (there was only 1 fridge) was so tiny, it was hilarious. O yeah, when you enter the hostel you're welcomed by a blessing of cold water dripping from the AC. Also, don't forget to take a look at the hostel name (it doesn't match) and the left wall of the building (on the outside). Have fun!  ()
4   Good for short stay I only stayed one night to make a connection between DC and Toronto. Desk clerk was nice and room was decent. Stayed in 1 person room, only had small (~1ft x 1ft) lockers available in room, though for some reason there was a stack of ~6 of them in the room. Free WiFi is only available in the lobby area; you have to pay to access wifi from the room. Didn't get to try the breakfast as I had to checkout at 0500. Room was clean w/ outlets and AC. Bathroom is not attached to room, and is single occupancy and was clean. Overall, good for an overnight for travel connections or for a short stay in the city. Would probably look into a different hostel if I was going to stay in New York for an extended period of time.  , age 25, USA ()
3   Good for budget I stayed one night during my transit. An experience for me. The hostel was OK for 55$ /night. We were two in a bunk bed room. The shower is not in the room. It's more like a student hostel. AC was now working well and street noise was significant. If you are walking its quite out of the way but Ina safe neighbourhood. Staff was helpful but the breakfast was awful. I will take this kind of place with careful consideration next time.  , age 45, Canadian ()
4   Simple, but enough The rooms were simple, but really, a clean room with a bed is all you need. Bathrooms were clean. Location was nice, I very much enjoyed walking the neighborhood, and felt safe. Subway stations located on 23rd St only a few blocks to the East provide quick access to anywhere in the city. Breakfast was included. It consisted of bagels and muffins with coffee or tea, simple, but appreciated. Overall I enjoyed my time at the Chelsea and would stay there again. If you go, walk up to 27th Street and eat at Ovest Pizzoteca, outstanding pizza!  ()
3   Not the friendliest place Location is good, nice neighborhood and easy access to everywhere. But there's no real common room, just the lobby that has some tables and chairs. Wifi is only available there, which sucks. If you aren't looking to socialize and just need a place to sleep, this place is fine.  ()
Chelsea Highline Youth Hotel Reviews from the Web