Rainbow Marrakech

Rainbow Marrakech provides a very calm atmosphere, which is very relieving after spending the day wandering around in Marrakech.

Rainbow Marrakech is located around the corner from the famous Place Djemaa el Fna. This is right on the edge of the network of souks, and ideal for soaking up the vibrant atmosphere of the artisanal shops and stands for which Marrakech is famous. Most Marrakech public transit (buses) stop at the Place, and there are always plenty of petit and grand taxis, so getting around the city from Rainbow Marrakech is never a problem. However, it is important to make a reservation at or have some communication with the hostel before visiting. If you do, the staff will give excellent directions and guidance to find the hostel upon your arrival. If you don't, it can be very difficult to locate the small, barely-marked alley down which the hostel is located. Even locals do not often know this alley by name, and unless you read Arabic, you may have trouble with some street signs!

The rooms are small and colorful, with short, thin beds covered in a sort of velvety sheet. Rooms have individual locks. There is also a tent on the roof with the same beds in it (this is where we stayed for a discounted price, having not made an advance reservation). It gets cold at night up there, but they provide plenty of warm blankets. The bathrooms are cleaner than anywhere else we encountered in Morocco, even nice museums. The showers are excellent, and if there is any trouble getting hot water, holler to the staff and they'll fix it for you.

The common spaces are colorful and cozy. There are usually a couple folks hanging around in them, chatting or having tea with some of the staff, who are nice, but in general, quiet. There's breakfast served every morning, which is a delicious array of pastries and apricot jam (the staff showed us where to buy this excellent and inexpensive souvenir!). Wi-Fi is available and very reliable. Note, however, that smoking is permitted in the common spaces, and people do smoke; however, very high ceilings prevent the atmosphere from becoming too smoky.

Summary

The common rooms are often sociable, but never rowdy (alcohol, for example, is more or less illegal in Morocco, although there are places to go out for a drink). The hostel can link you up to tour companies for day trips; however, the staff themselves don't organize any activities. Overall, we recommend it!

by apeter
April 2013

How is Rainbow Marrakech rated on other websites?
Rainbow Marrakech Reviews from the Web
1   Bedbugs! Upon coming to this hostel I felt very welcomed. The staff were very friendly, though it seemed they had overbooked. They worked out a bed for me, but as it turned out there were tons of bedbugs! I felt them crawling in my clothes when I laid in the bed and I noticed them all over the pillow and the sheets. I took pictures and tried to find someone who worked there and couldn't so I sat in the upstairs area for a while freaking out about bugs crawling in my things and when I found a staff member I showed them the pictures and they told me the pictures couldn't be from their hostel. I said I would show them, and they were incredibly condescending and rude and told me to go to sleep. I said this was unacceptable and they grabbed me, proceeded to hug me without my consent, told me I was overreacting, and said go to bed. I did not sleep the entire night and in the morning I requested a refund, and they accused me of bringing the bedbugs in (though other people at this hostel had the same complaint and were also requesting refunds) and told me I couldn't have a refund. After arguing with them all night and being disrespected several times I received only a partial refund. I absolutely would not ever stay at this hostel again, and one of the workers was incredibly inappropriate with the female guests and even climbed into bed with one uninvited! I strongly suggest avoiding this hostel. You get even less than what you pay for.  , age 20, American ()
1   BEDBUGS!!! I would not recommend this place to anyone, really suffered for a long time getting over the bites from the bedbugs. As this was the only place that I had stayed, they could not have been from anywhere else. One of the other reviewers has also had problems with them. The hostel does not have enough bathrooms for the guests, the shower and toilet share the same space too. So expect to wait over an hour to brush your teeth! The place is very noisy, and although you are given a lock for your door, the internal windows do not lock and so your room can be accessed with ease while you are out. Also be aware if you are traveling alone, the access door is down a small narrow alley with no side streets. I was followed into the alley when returning back around 10 pm.  , UK ()
2   would not recommend the hostel! The rainbow hostel is quite nice, really colourful and it has nice breakfast and a big terrace. But We had bedbugs!!! We recognized after two nights and the manager and the other guys of the hostel didnt say any sorry to us. At least they gave me some soaps and the money for two nights. But anyway, they dont change the blankets!!! So, in total I would not recommend the hostel because I am sure that in Marrakech are other nice and cheap hostels with more cleanness!  , age 19, German ()
4   Nice staff! The staff are nice and friendly. Nice atmosphere. I enjoyed the stay here.  , age 23, Hong Kong ()