Couple O' Days Backpackers

Servicing the high-rise coastal town of Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast, Couple O'Days Backpackers is squat and cramped, but perfect for exactly what its name suggests -- staying a couple of days.

Sitting on the street shared by a number of other hostels, just a ten-minute walk from the city centre, Couple O' Days is well positioned for accessing the shops and the beach. A vehicle is needed for some of the theme parks in the outer reaches of Surfers Paradise, but the main part of the town is an easy walk down the road.

The four-bed rooms are small with mismatching furniture. The hostel is well placed to be out of reach of the noise of the clubs in the town, but the dramatic creaking of the rusty beds will keep you awake at night all the same. Aim to get up early, because there certainly isn't enough room for four people getting ready each day. The same can be said about getting to the bathroom first as well, as there are only two servicing the whole hostel.

The TV room upstairs is a fine place to sink into a squashy chair and unwind at the end of the day, and a communal bookshelf provides you with a place to stock up on reading material and deposit the books you are finished with. In the summer the small pool makes for a great place to cool off, and picnic benches beneath shady umbrellas are a welcome refuge from the fierce sun. The cramped grounds mean any mess is extremely noticeable, and at peak season the hostel is a hive of activity just like every other hostel in town, which makes the place seem even smaller.

Summary

The tiny rooms and common spaces should dissuade anyone seeking long term accommodation. With the town itself offering little other than shopping centres, clubs, and restaurants, Surfers Paradise tends to be more of a short stop anyway. It is for this that Couple O' Days Backpackers is well equipped. At just a five-minute walk from the Greyhound Bus Transit Centre, it's a great place to stop overnight on your way up the coast. But if you find the prospect of cabin fever unattractive, stay well clear.

by Thomas Winward
August 2014
How is Couple O' Days Backpackers rated on other websites?
5   Homey I really enjoyed my time here. The place as an easygoing atmosphere with kind, friendly staff who are very helpful. I found it to be very clean with a homey feel. I really enjoyed how social it was without being unpleasant. You get the oppourtunity to meet people and have fun, but it is not like some hostels I have stayed in where it gets kind of annoying. The free Wifi is awesome. The hostel is less than 5 minutes walk from the centre of surfers paradise town, so that makes things easy. If I passed through Gold Coast again I would stay here.  , age 26, New Zealand ()
1   Very cheap hostel, but you get what you pay for. We stayed here one night during our East Coast trip. Unfortunately we didn't check the room before booking. The smell in the room was disgusting. We ended up sleeping there but got out as soon as possible in the morning to avoid the smell. Furthermore we could not connect to the WiFi. Also the rooms don't seem to be cleaned very well. The outside of the hostels looks shabby and there is a smell there as well, though not as bad as inside. The second day we went to the beach and came back to the hostel in the afternoon to take a shower, but were rudely refused entry because we had 'already checked out'. This was quite surprising because every other hostel we have visited allows guests to use the facilities at least during the afternoon after their checkout. We checked in very late that night and checked out an hour and a half before the checkout time, but there was no courtesy at all to let us use any facilities. There were only two people in the large dorm of around 15 beds and I understand why that was all. Really just spend the few extra bucks and go to another hostel, this one is horrible.  ()
5   Home from home Couple of days is a great little cosey backpackers. It's very airy so there is a nice breeze flowing through the room. No bedbugs, just the usual Australian bugs wandering around there all over Australia get used to it. The staff are friendly & very helpful. It's a small hostel but such a quiet retreat compared to noisier hotter backpackers I have previously stayed in. I stayed a full 2 weeks here & enjoyed every second. I made some good friends as your not allowed drink in your room so it's much more sociable sitting outside together. There is a pool although small it does the trick. I have enjoyed my stay here defiantly my favourite backpackers. Very happy.  , age 28, English ()
4   Fab little backpackers Lovely little place to stay. Clean rooms. Friendly, helpful staff. The mattresses were a little worn on some of the beds. Small kitchen but its only a small hostel so not a major issue. Low price, only a short walk to the main street and beach.  ()
5   Home from home!! I stayed at Couple o' Days three times when I was backpacking. I returned for a fourth time on holiday this month. Best hostel I stayed in. If you're looking for a big name hotel, then you're going to be disappointed, however, if you're looking for a place to meet new people and have a good time then this is the place to stay. Cockroaches are Australia wide -- FACT! deal with it. There are no bedbugs at this hostel. I should know, I've stayed in enough of the rooms to prove it. The linen IS washed. If the people that are staying in the hostel make a mess in the kitchen just before you get in there then of course it's going to be dirty. Blame the slobs that made the mess in there. The hostel is small but that's the magic of it. You meet people really quickly and if you stay there for a few days you end up as a little family! The pool gets Vacuumed regularly and has a filter. If you get cold at night there is a big blanket to keep you warm. The area is not full of 'girl gangs' -- I walked up and down that street hundreds of times on my own at night and not so much as a squeak from said 'girl gangs!' Belinda, the manager, is lovely and so is puzzles. If you have any problems at all then speak to Belinda about it and she will try her utmost to resolve any issues. There is no money making bar at Couple o' Days which means you can BYO. I have had many happy times sat on that old wooden bench. So many memories!! If you're in Australia to meet people, chill out and have fun then this is the best place to do it. Don't judge a book by it's cover. I know I sound very protective over Couple O' Days but if you don't stay there, you won't understand!!  , England ()
1   Dirty and bedbugs! This hostel was the worst that Tom and I stayed in during our trip 3 month East Coast trip. We arrived late, so nothing else was open, but I wish we had slept in our ute. Not only was it disgustingly dirty, but I believe they don't wash any of the linen. This is the only place that we received bedbugs and we stayed only one night! Tom woke to find a dead cockroach hull next to his head and I found several dark hairs on the blanket -- I am blonde. In the morning we went to the kitchen to make tea, but the sink was filthy and the kettle was rusted inside. Needless to say, we bought our breakfast that morning. The staff was friendly, I will say that, but I would still rate it a zero if possible. It should be condemned.  , Canadian and Aussie ()
2  I stayed at the "Couple O Days" backpackers for about two weeks. I was waiting to move into my new apartment with three of my friends and couldn't find a sharehouse for just two weeks so the backpackers seemed to be the only solution. I chose this backpackers mainly because it is (as far as I know) the cheapest in Surfers. I will be honest. I absolutely hated it there. I mean the staff were friendly and my roommates were nice (most of the time) but the hostel itself is so dirty and small. My bed was hard and uncomfortable, the sheets and blankets were dirty (there were stains on them, they probably washed them but couldn't remove the stains). They do not have air conditioning (just fans, one fan per room!) and it gets way too hot during the day. At night it was too cold and the blanket was by far not enough to keep me warm (it's just a small wool blanket). The bathroom was so dirty. The kitchen was also dirty and in the evening (when most people cook dinner) you have to wait for hours to use it. They only have one microwave, which is in the office and one tiny freezer (also in the office). The TV room was also dirty and the TV is small and the reception is not good. They do have a pool but it is dirty and very very small. The area it is located in is also quite dangerous. I was once attacked there by a girl gang who hit me in the face and stole my money. There are two other backpackers in the same street. I heard that they are a bit better but also more expensive. This was the first backpackers I ever stayed in so I thought it was normal for them to be like that. But about nine months later (when I started traveling around the country) my friends and I stayed at the backpackers several times. They were a few dollars more expensive but it was worth it! They were so much better. If you only stay in Surfers for a few days you'll probably have no other choice than staying at the backpackers. But if you stay for one month or more find a sharehouse! They are much cheaper (usually about $95 for a shared room (with only one other person!) or $125 or so for your own room (still cheaper than the backpackers!). If you have to stay at the backpackers choose another one!  , Australia ()
1   Dont bother ok, so i didnt stay here, was booked in but when i got there, there was no way i was gonna stay, ended up finding a better place to stay (apartment type accommodation) that ended up being cheaper! yes, cheaper than this hostel. look elsewhere.  , australia ()