Wilmington House - Ayr Backpackers

How is Wilmington House - Ayr Backpackers rated on other websites?
4   Fun fun place to stay. plenty of work and drunken nights. great pubs, not far from shops. could use a few more bathrooms, fridges, and showers. other than that, a great place to stay for work and fun. lock up yours clothes -- mine and a mates were stolen.  , australian ()
1   Too many rules! It's like being a teenagers again. There is too many rules for everything and you should expect to loose some clothes because even if you work and your clothes go on the ground, the maid took them and put in a big box. I stayed there almost 3 months. First, when we called to book beds, they said they don t take booking. This is not true but we were french and they didn t want us to come there. When we arrived, they explained that the job was really really hard and it would be better for us to go find something else. We stayed because i didn t have so many time to do my farm job. It s like the guy doesn t like young people, i wonder why he s doing such a job then and the wife, well ... too much smiles, sometimes it s strange. The guy always screamed after 10pm, saying "f....!!" It s not a way to behave with people who pay for a service. i didn t really care at the moment, i was just there to work and get out as fast as possible.  ()
5   The place to be The Wilmington House is where Ayr Backpackers is located, in the middle of a quiet neighbourhood surrounded by lush tropical vegetation. The hostel is often crammed, the kitchen is full of flies, there are just two showers for thirty beds, three toilets also for thirty beds, merciless mosquitos all over the place, and backbreaking jobs are available. TV room #1 has two channels and computers in it, TV room #2 is obsolete with pool table in it and mosquitos. Internet is available (two computers) and hardly convenient or cheap. Donna and Clint own the place and can help you, as long as you respect their privacy and don't hassle them too much, especially out of their office hours. The maid rinses the place every morning and you better be sleeping or being out of her sight for your own safety. There are some vans they let you use to go to work ($7 a day). If you sleep in, you lose the job and they put you on a list of people. The job is hard to say the best, but in a week or two your back is shaped like a U, as required. There are two major employers and other small farms in the area. The wage is $16-17 per hour. Sometimes, the employers forget some hours you worked or squeeze them according to their needs. At the end of the season, they told all the people I was working with not to show up the next day, 'cause the price was rock bottom. They called me for one last day of work, helping them to move stuff, but I'm pretty sure they forgot to pay me. Ayr is a 9,000-person town with a vibrant life.  , Italy ()
5   Just great I stayed here about two month and had a great time. Donna and Clint are really caring as long as you stick to their rules and try to supply you as quick as possible with work. Maybe too less showers, but you get used to wait a while. I just loved it and when Donna and Clint can't sell it I'll be back.  , Germany ()
1   Exploitation Ayr sums up Australia pretty well -- ignorant, racist, fifty years behind the times, and out to exploit travelers for every penny and drop of sweat they've got. The fact that this hostel even sends people out to Rosalie's farm shows the lack of concern it has for its guests. And in case my opinion needs verified by an example, when I stayed here, my "accommodation" was in a porch outside with no lock on the screen door (no actual door) and four bunk beds squeezed into it.  , Ireland ()
5   Fantastic! Friendly, well run, and organised. We stayed here in both 2005 and 2006. The only negative reports you are likely to hear are from people who stayed previous to June 2005 when it was ran by different owners. Donna and Clint, who then took over, are extremely helpful, patient and welcoming, and excellent at finding even the most useless backpackers work. The hostel allows you to keep an even balance between work and free time and Ayr itself, though a relatively small town, has everything you need for a budget conscious backpacker and more. It is definitely the best place we worked whilst fruit picking in Australia. Also the local cinema has some top quality souvenir post cards. Enjoy.  , British ()
4  I was here a year ago but had some really fun times. Even with all the farm work -- so hard -- took a bit getting used to. But I have left with some great friends.  ()
5  Loved this place, as well as Ayr! Oh dear how sad am i! Lovely hostel with great owners, Donna and Clint. They took great care of us from day one and had a great time staying here. Would recommend this place to anyone. The work's the only downer but not that bad once you get into it and good money, easy to get work.  ()