Funny Farm Backpackers Hostel

The Funny Farm hostel is one of the big fun/party hostels in Interlaken. It's a good choice if you're looking for a fun place to meet lots of people. And an added plus for this hostel is that Balmer's Hostel is just 100m down the road, so if you get bored of the crowd at Funny Farm, you can always walk over to join the party at Balmer's. (You'll hear about Balmer's before you get to Interlaken if you haven't already, it's known as one of the best hostels in Europe for partying and meeting people.)

The Funny Farm hostel is located on the south side of the city, about a 15-20 minute walk from either Interlaken train station. The easiest way to find it is to follow the signs for Balmer's, and then Funny Farm is on the other side of the street just a bit further down the road.

The hostel is actually part of the "Hotel Matanhof", but it seems that the hostel as pretty much taken over the hotel. There are two separate areas where there are rooms, with the slightly more expensive rooms being inside the hotel and the cheaper rooms out back... in a converted barn. Seriously, the beds on the ground floor are even separated by what was once the horse stalls. It's not as bad as it sounds, it's actually a fun place to stay and it makes for a good story, and it's adequately comfortable. But it is a little drafty, so if it's cold outside at night, it will be cold inside too. The toilet and shower facilities are in one WC and they're shared by all of the rooms in the building. The showers may not have hot water, so test the water before you jump in, and keep in mind you might want to wait until your next hostel to shower (besides, this is Interlaken, there's too much to do to waste time taking a shower).

The dorm rooms in the main hotel building are just a bit nicer, but not by a whole lot. Each room does have it's own ensuite toilet/shower facilities.

The common areas include no less than three indoor bars, and one or two outdoor ones depending on the season. The drinks are very expensive (this is Switzerland after all), and it may be worth buying a few beers at the local grocery store during the day. There's also a swimming pool, volleyball net, and plenty of sitting/hang-out areas. This is a great place to meet lots of people and it's easy to stay up way too late chatting with random people even though you know you have to get up early for your hang gliding appointment. By the way, it's worth mentioning that the guests at this place (and Balmer's as well) are almost entirely from English-speaking countries, including a large portion from America/Canada (that may or may not be a good thing depending on your perspective).

Nothing about this place is especially nice or clean, so if you're looking for a really nice hostel, look elsewhere. This is a place to meet people and have fun.

by David
August 2005
How is Funny Farm Backpackers Hostel rated on other websites?
Gomio
Funny Farm Backpackers Hostel Reviews from the Web
5   Here I found peace and quiet Here I found peace and quiet.  , Romania ()
5   Clean, nice, reasonably priced A friend of mine booked a room for the four of us and I was impressed with the cleanness of the place. It is very roomy and the bar area is great for socializing. I agree though with who said you stumble upon crazy dudes all into extreme sports and stuff like that. But it is a great place to stay if you are in Interlaken.  , Italy ()
1   When we arrived there was vomit in our room. Stayed here in summer of '07. When we got to our room it smelt awful. After a short investigation we discovered that there was old vomit in one of the corners quite near to the bed. When we informed the front desk about the vomit we were told that they would not clean it and they could not give us another room.  , usa ()
2  When I arrived, I found the reception staff to be not just rude but sometimes just plain mean. I thought maybe they just don't take kindly to backpackers who show up without reservations (such as myself), but as far as I observed in my two or three nights there, they're like that all the time, regardless of what you want, whether you're a hotel guest or a hostel guest. However, on the brighter side, a lot of people seemed to be having fun -- note that these were crazy frat/sorority types who were in town to skydive/paraglide/whatever and then get wasted. Most people thought I was weird for going hiking during the day and sleeping at night. I enjoyed the breakfast, too, actually -- just bread, jam, butter, coffee, but I liked the bread (fresh, unless you get to breakfast too early, then you eat the leftover bread from the previous morning). Also -- I took a freezing shower, and so did several others that I talked to. One person said he got a warm one -- lucky!  ()
5  This place is awesome. honestly, at first i didnt like it. There was a hole in our door and the windows had no blinds, plus the bathroom and showers were three floors down. It ended up growing on me though, and i was really sad to leave and wanted to stay for another week! all the people we met at this hostel were amazing, and so friendly. It was so easy to strike up a conversation and meet the people here. The beds were surprisingly warm and comfortable, and i slept really well each night. It is in a good location close to Balmers and somewhat close to downtown interlaken (but mind you, everything is close -- there really is nothing far away in interlaken cause its so small). It is next to Alpin Raft too, and they helped us go canyoning and skydiving and were really nice and helpful. And there is am amazing dog named Splif, who is this huge St. Bernard who i fell in love with. all in all, we had a great experience at this hostel, and i want to go back as soon as possible. I definitely recommend it, even though its not the nicest hostel ever, you will definitely leave here with the best feeling.  ()
2  If you are going for the cheap dorm room you are staying not in the hotelly part of this weirdo combo hostel but in the way back in these getto old houses. The room are old and beds are old. There wasn't too much hot water in the showers either. I think Interlaken overall is way overrated. I say either head up the alps and stay at a higher location or don't stay at the alps at all and see the other more beautiful parts of Switzerland. Interlaken is an ugly tourist trap in the middle of a beautiful country. Be prepared for really high prices when you hit Switzerland  ()
5  We stayed in a four person ensuite. Gorgeous mountain views from our huge balcony and out the window. Waking up to the Alps is special. Spacious rooms, friendly people. Average bathroom, but not too bad. Prices (for Switzerland) seemed reasonable. The hostel It is actually a converted hotel from the 1800s and it has a cool feel. It seems that there is still a hotel but young people dominate the building. Swimming pool out back (did not use), beautiful garden terrace to eat breakfast in. Weed plants actually grow out back -- interesting. LCD projector showed World Cup outside. Two campfires. Nightclub downstairs was crowded but crappy. You can book extreme sports through hostel. Interlaken rocks!  ()
1  Read this before you stay here. I stayed two nights. The second night we switched rooms because of the noise. I switched rooms due to noise. We checked in to our second room, which was converted horse stalls, complete with feed trophs. Which wouldnt have been bad unless one ten feet from my bed didnt have puke, which the cleaners hadnt left for three days. So of cource I went and complained it smelt. The guy at the desk told me the cleaners had left for the day and he would tell them tomorrow but when i said I wanted it taken care of that night not before i checked out he brought me a mop. I had to clean out puke in a room I paid for! now if thats not enough the first night I stayed in a converted pig stall (not a horse stall a pig stall horses dont have feed trouphs that low to the ground) which had a busted window and was right next to the guinness tent, which made it very loud and our door didnt lock so any random drunk could stumble in. Also There is no hot water with exception of random times in the afternoon, and by no hot water I mean the only water feels like snow melt. And I got to hear a drunk guy brag about peeing in my shower. This was easily the worst hostel experience I have ever had. Stay here only if you want to get drunk and pass out somewhere. But they charge $5 for a Coke, so you can imagine the price of getting drunk. I wouldnt say it was worth it. There are much cleaner nicer places to meet people in Europe  ()