Urban House

With a location directly on the boulevard, Enjoy's main hostel is a convenient place to stay, with excellent balconies and a friendly staff. Being a Busabout Hostel, the place is busy and almost always requires a reservation between June and September.

They also run three other nice hostels in town, all well located just off the boulevard and with nice decoration. Bathrooms are clean, beds are very sturdy and comfortable, and there are good kitchens in each location, with fridge. At 10 pm however, the kitchen is locked for the night.

The price is a little high, but is the same as any other hostel in this, the prime part of town near the bars and both beaches. San Sebastian, also known as Donostia, is a vibrant beach town with a constant nightlife and a strong Basque culture which is often displayed in massive peaceful political marches on the boulevard.

To find the hostel's main office, walk all the way towards the beach keeping the river on your right. Once you reach Boulevard turn left and go all the way down to the big Ayuntamiento building in the middle of the street at the end. Look on the right for #26 and ring Lo-Lo Urbanhouse. Their staff is friendly and they play very good music there.

by that1guy
September 2004
How is Urban House rated on other websites?
Urban House Reviews from the Web
1   Terrible -- bedbugs In short ... bedbugs and no common areas!! very dirty; no hot water -- dirty kitchen without kettle or toaster. dodgy bunk beds. very basic free breakfast. hot rooms -- no aircon or fans. dirty bathrooms. internet didn't work. We booked the hostel as we have many others over the past 8 months based on website ratings however for the first time we were severely disappointed. The only things the hostel lived up to was the great location plus the rooms were spacious however all else failed. On arriving at the hostel we were told our room would be ready at 2pm and that we could leave our bags in the "luggage storage" room with no security, forcing us to take most of our valuable possessions with us. When we returned just after 2pm the rooms were still not ready however we were allowed to put our bags inside the dirty room and choose our beds. After the cleaners were finished we returned to find our belongings moved and our beds taken by other guests. We met a friend traveling in San Sebastián who had booked the same hostel but on a separate booking but the staff were only willing to give us 1 room key between three people and told to return later that evening for additional keys which was very inconvenient. When we finally returned to our ready rooms the floors were dirty, there was no fan or airconditioning only a very small window for a 6bed dorm making the room very hot and stuffy. The top bunk also had no ladder or side rail which is not safe. The mattresses were old with springs protruding into your back, the pillows were lumpy and the frames, very unstable and noisy with broken wooden planks. In addition the lockers were jot large enough for backpacks resulting everyone using the communal space for storage. The biggest let down was the out of order common areas, which, after reviewing other comments, seems to be the case for over 2 weeks at least. We were told this was due to the police shutting it down which was a little unnerving. We were told to use the luggage storage room which contained ONE two seater couch for a hostel of maybe 50-80people -- this was outrageous! No sympathy from staff at all and considering we booked this hostel for its common areas (like so many other people we met) we were unhappy that this was not advertised on the website. A lack of public space also resulted in noisy rooms with people partying well into the night. The kitchen areas were dirty rundown makeshift cooking areas without even a kettle or toaster! We found ourselves having to clean and wash dishes before cooking anything. The fridge was unhygienic and hot long life milk and cheap cereal can barely be advertised as a free breakfast -- just merely seemed like leftover food on the shelf from other guests. After so many guests complaining about the freezing cold showers and lack of hot water after asking staff for assistance I gave up on trying after day 1 besides the fact that they were mouldy and had dirt, sand and hair everywhere. The toilets usually were out of toilet paper and needed to be cleaned more frequently for such a large hostel. I was glad to have bought a spanish SIM card as the internet only worked between 1am and 9am and we needed to book flights and accommodation too. Finally the icing in the cake was really the infestation of bedbugs! I have never been attacked before in all my years of traveling and staying in hostels (and I am well aware of the difference between mosquito bites and bedbug bites). It made for a very uncomfortable night with no sleep at all! I would maybe have expected this for a hostel priced €10-15/night but not when u are paying €25/night! I have never had the need to give negative feedback before however this place was our worst experience so far.  , Australia ()
2   Mixed I ended up with this booking because all of SS was full ... loud, crowded, and a lot of stuff didn't work. There was a clogged toilet that sat unattended for two days, faulty showers, and way too many people for the space. Maybe good if you just want to get wasted, but not for me. The room itself was nice and the bed was quite comfortable. Great location and friendly staff. For me, the environment was just too much ... probably perfect for those that want to party more.  , USA ()
4  The rooms and bathroom were clean although I hated the shower. The guy who was working there was nice and helpful. The location is really great and the reason to stay there.  , USA ()
4  This place has a great vibe and is really fun. The staff is friendly, laid back and very helpful. Location is great, close to the beach, boulevard, internet cafes, tapas bars and Mt. Urgull, but a long walk from the train station. Bad points are that it's not incredibly clean and there are continuous problems with showers. But the bathrooms are nice, much more like a home than a hostel.  ()
4  I loved LoLo's, and the staff, and DAVE, who was extremely gorgeous and so worth staying there. I loved the room; it had the best balcony overlooking the scene of everything that was happening. San Sebastian rocks as it is but staying in this hostel made it even so much better, and to make the stay even better was that I was there during the U2 concert.  ()
4  I have just spent three days staying here and was really sad to leave, partly due to the great bunch of people I met here but also because I felt immediately comfortable and at home in this hostel. Even though this is a Busabout stopover, I still found there were loads of people travelling independently so it was pretty easy to make friends (without having to deal with lots of cliquey groups). After arriving at the 26 Boulevard address, I was lucky enough to be shipped over to their second hostel just across the road, which is far more spacious and (I thought) had a much better vibe about it. Thus, my comments relate to that place. The staff can be hard to find at times but I didn't find that a big problem. The bedrooms are all different sizes (even though you only seem to be able to book a six-bed mixed dorm), with many having a mix of single and bunk beds —it's SO nice to be able to sit up straight in your bed for a change! Admittedly, the showers aren't great but they do the job. The kitchen is nice and big, the common area is comfy and very social and the location couldn't be better (choice of two beaches within a 10-minute walk and just moments from the old town area). I would definitely recommend this as THE place to stay in San Sebastian. Have fun!  ()
4  It's great! Everyone is so respectful. It's like you're still at home. It feels good to meet people and learn about their different views. You'll have fun and also learn.  ()
4  This is a nice little hostel, and the staff are really helpful and friendly. It's great not to have to sleep in bunk beds for a change, and it was cozy and clean with good music. It's really easy to meet people there, but difficult to get someone to answer the phone when you want to book a bed! The showers don't work very well, but that's the only downer.  ()