The Aquarium Youth Hostel

The cozy Aquarium Youth Hostel is discreetly tucked away on the second story of an unmarked building -- so have the street number handy in order to find it. The location is close to Keleti station with its restaurants galore, and just down the street from a grocery store.

The amenities include free internet, free padlocked locker usage, washer and dryer, a fully equipped kitchen with gas stove and fridge, cable television, and hot showers. The staff are friendly and helpful. Colorfully painted octopi overlook the common areas, which are clean, comfortable, and quiet. This hostel offers double rooms and dorm rooms containing four to eight bunk beds each. Beds are minimalistic but comfortable enough -- just don't come expecting down comforters.

Party animals should look elsewhere. There seems to be an unconscious tendency towards soft voices even in the daytime and nearly total silence after 11 p.m. on a weekday or Sunday night. For those of a calmer persuasion, however, the Aquarium Youth Hostel may be just the thing you've been looking for.

May 2004
How is The Aquarium Youth Hostel rated on other websites?
1  I booked this hostel online, based on reviews found on a number of Web sites other than this one. I had never stayed in a so-called "backpackers" hostel before, being used to YHA and IYHA hostels, and will admit that I was shocked when I stepped up to the building that houses The Aquarium hostel. It looked to me like it was being torn down, or at least should be. I was buzzed in and climbed the stairs in total darkness, unable to locate any lighting at all. The hostel itself is tiny but clean, although, upon first glance, it appears dirty, because it is quite run-down. Smoking is not allowed in the dorm/bedrooms, although the place is so small that non-smokers will sense immediately when someone lights up. The Aquarium reeks of cigarette smoke. If you are a non-smoker, don't stay here! On the plus side, The Aquarium is priced right (cheap) and is located close to Keleti train station and a Metro line. The woman who mainly runs the place, Carla, is a gem. She is a font of knowledge about what to see and do and where to eat and drink. Too bad she has to work here.  ()
5  We stayed here one night and really loved the place. The people running it were very friendly, and went out of their way to help us. For instance, one of the staff went on the Internet for us to find a vegan restaurant and then took the time to show us exactly how to get there. We were made fresh coffee in the morning, and there was no check out time so we didn't have to worry about when we got up on the morning we were leaving. The Internet was free, the rooms were nice, and the building was well placed and we even had a pretty nice view from our window. Some people have complained that the hostel wasn't one of these massive affairs with multiple floors, 24-hour bar playing the latest elevator music hits and selling tie-dyed T-shirts emblazoned with the hostel name. And that's true it didn't, but as a result it felt a lot more homely. And if anything, no 24-hour bar means no noisy middle-class kids talking loudly all night about their hardships of sitting on a hard train seat in Poland, or how they tragically lost half a dreadlock in an unforgiving tram door. Surely a good thing if you wish to actually sleep?  ()
5  Very good place.  ()
3  I arrived in Budapest in the middle of the summer with nowhere to stay and found many places booked out. This place was available and certainly not terrible. It's not the massive type of hostel you may be accustomed to in Western Europe, but it was a reasonable place to sleep. It's super close to train station, which is a plus, and within walking distance of pretty much anything. It's the small type of place that does most everything but doesn't stand out in any respect. I found it easy to meet other travelers to grab a beer with.  ()
1  I made reservations here because it sounded good in Let's Go, but it was dirty and dark. The pillows were old couch cushions, and the walls looked like they hadn't been washed in years. I felt so uncomfortable (and I don't think I'm a neat freak by any means) that I decided not to stay, even though I had made a four-night reservation. I figured I would rather take my chances or spend a few dollars more.  ()
1  This hostel is absolutely disgusting!! Under no circumstances stay here!! I arrived in budapest a few days ago and was really happy we'd booked this hostel until I saw the state of the place - the guy running the place was completely stoned and smoking as he took our passport numbers. The location is awful, really dodgy area and I appeal to any girls who want to feel safe to stay away from this place. I was with two other girls and one of them got really itchy when she went into the room, then she checked the sheets and they were totally dirty. We left straight away and almost ran out of the place. Who cares if Aquarium is near the station, better off paying a few euro more for safety cleanliness security and comfort!!  ()
1  I did not really like this hostel. It was dirty, and dark, and kind of depressing. As a girl traveling alone, I felt unsafe in the surrounding area, and it was just dodgy!  ()
4  I stayed here with a load of friends and we had a great time. Being so near to the station is always good in case you get lost! The guy who runs it is very helpful and very sweet too. I'd definitely come back and stay here again. It's also clean - which is a bonus!  ()