Ostello Cinque Terre Hostel

It is pretty tough arriving at Ostello Cinque Terre with a backpack, as it's at the top of the long street winding up from the train station. However the setting is lovely. There is a tiny church in the piazza just before you turn off for the hostel and it's a nice place to go to Mass to see some of the older Manarolans.

This hostel is pretty well established and very clean. There are bathrooms in each bedroom and some really nice people there. It's a good place to meet other people for you to walk the trails with. The rooms have bunk beds and can be gender-segregated at your request. They all have their own private toilet and shower which you share among four people. Everything is spotlessly clean.

The hostel cafe serves good meals and there is a nice cosy atmosphere there. You can't bring your own food in but it is possible to eat on the terrace outside. The staff have a lot of rules about things you can and can't do but it seems they get a lot of flack from locals about the noise and behavior of the guests so it's understandable that they are strict.

by Jo
June 2005

How is Ostello Cinque Terre Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Clean, helpfull staff, wonderfull surroundings! we went by car to cinque terra and were a bit surprised that you have to leave your car on top of the huge hills in a paid parking place. If you're lucky you will find a place to park, it's quite crowded with all the tourist. From that parking space you can take the little shuttle bus or walk downstairs to the hostel. Walk is about ten or fifteen minutes. The staff is really organised and friendly, very helpful even! Rooms are not to crowded and clean. You have to buy a coin for the shower, so that sucks, but there is warm water, so ok. breakfast is not included though. From the town you can go by foot or by boat to the other small towns from cinque terra, better to do that than go by car, since there is no way you can park your car anywhere near the small towns. Lovely area!  , Netherlands ()
5   A fantastic place to stay in a beautiful town! I love Cinque Terre, and this hostel was the perfect place to stay. Yes, there are a lot of rules, including a lockout, but why would you want to stay inside -- it's the Cinque Terre! It is extremely clean, and the staff are very friendly, especially if you make the effort to be polite and respectful. The common eating area is huge, and they have board games, travel books, and a book exchange. The only complaint would be the showers -- they are coin operated, and each token is only five minutes. If you need extra time, then each token is 50 cents, but to put the tokens in, you have to get out of the shower, and then get back in, so it is a bit of a pain. However, the great meals in the cafe and the views of the sea from the rooms make this hostel an amazing place to stay.  , Canada ()
1  I didn't stay here but just went in to ask some questions. The staff were snobbish and rude and not very welcoming. I hope they are nicer to their paying guests! However, I will never attempt to find out as I would never stay where people were so unfriendly.  ()
5  I loved this hostel! The staff was very friendly, the food was good --especially breakfast -- the shower and rooms were clean and secure, and the rooftop terrace and dining area patio were great places to relax, drink wine, read, and meet interesting people. I didn't really notice any rules! I had a wonderful time here and will definitely return!  ()
1  I would be very wary about staying at this hostel. I reserved this hostel months in advance, only to show up and find out the owner cancelled my booking. They charge your credit card for the first night three days before you arrive. Apparently he put the expiration date in wrong. Anyway, he told me they were full, shrugged his shoulders, and went on to the next customer. He told me I could stay with one of his friends (for much more money). Not a chance!
Response from the accommodation: we charge the credit card provided only three days before your arrival (you can cancel without fee until 72h in advance). if the card does not work (no money / wrong exp. date/ authorization refused) we will cancel your reservation and we will notify you by e-mail. check your e-mail regularly!!!!!!!! we don't accept debit card/visa electron/maestro. we accept only visa/mastercard.  ()
4  Overall a great place. Clean, friendly, and the staff were very helpful. The downside is that they do have a bunch of rules, so if you're looking for a full-on party spot, probably try elsewhere, but overall I was really pleased with my stay.  ()
4  I stayed at this hostel literally just after it opened, around 1998. It was good then, certainly clean, and better than anything else I could find at the time, which included hotels. Incidentally, there is a beach in that town where Italian tourists have sex in public. I'm not going to tell you precisely where, of course. An astonishing thing, for me an American. Look for the steps that lead to nowhere.  ()
4  This was a pleasant place to stay. The room was spacious with big lockers and a nice view. The clothesline on the roof was really convenient for drying clothes (provided it doesn't rain!). The showers are a little small and are token operated (one token equals five minutes). The staff are friendly and helpful.  ()