Palm Lakefront Resort & Hostel

Despite the less-than-stellar reviews, and the fact that we drove right past the place (it’s nestled among a slew of inexpensive motels and looks much like the rest -- perhaps even a little shadier from the road), we had a perfectly lovely stay at the Palm Lakefront Hostel.

The entrance/parking lot can give you pause, but once you get to the end of the lot, it's all exceedingly welcoming -- the sounds of Bob Marley emanating from the office; the stone Buddha building façade; and the palm tree next to the sign directing you to the pool, lakefront, and gazebo. We found Aaron, the owner, to be quite pleasant, friendly, and helpful.

The rooms are standard motel rooms in layout and size, but house varying numbers of beds and bunks. Lack of rugs or other décor and the rather plain walls give the rooms a less-than-cozy feeling, but they’re relatively clean. A coat of paint and perhaps some refinishing of tubs and showers would go a long way to making the accommodations much more appealing (and perhaps cleaner feeling).

The common space is large and skews a bit more institutional than comfortable living room -- there are several tables and chairs, a TV in that high-on-the-wall-and-always-on public place position. The kitchen is galley shaped but large and modestly equipped. Actually, there's plenty of room for cooking, but it's somewhat limited in dishes -- or maybe it’s just that the quality of dishes (there's lots of plastic and things that have probably outlived their moment).

The grounds out back are quite nice, and perhaps underused and underemphasized, and include several gas grills; a campfire ring; stone statues; swimming pool; and best of all in our opinion, a wooden walkway and gazebo on the lake. The gazebo is a perfect spot for watching the sunrise or pausing at the end of a day of adventure -- tall reeds along the shores, ducks doing their thing, other gazebos across the lake in view but not intrusive.

Summary

Perhaps the most immediate need (and criticism) has to do with general maintenance and housekeeping. Trash cans seem to overflow before they’re emptied, food scraps linger in the kitchen sinks too long, and carpets and furniture could use a little attention. Basically, the whole place could use a coat of paint and more consistent housekeeping policies and/or efforts. Plans for some renovation/sprucing up seem to be in the works. But for the price, it’s a clean bed, beautiful setting (out back), and well worth the stay.

February 2011

How is Palm Lakefront Resort & Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Much better than expected. The rooms are clean, the other people staying are friendly. Only downside is the pools a bit grim and the wifi can be a bit slow at peak times. I didn't use the kitchen as there were a lot of restaurants and a supermarket just across the road. Would definitely stay here again!  , age 19, England ()
2   Sucked ... don't stay there. When I arrived to check in the cleaning people told me there was No one at the front desk to check me in. after returning 4 hours later, no one was still at the front Desk. I check in at a nearby motel for that nite. Finally the 2nd day the Mgr decides he would come to work ... when I told him no one was at the front desk to check me in, instead of apologizing, he told me he will kindly over the NO SHOW FEE. I told him I did show up, there was No one to CHECK ME IN. long story short, there are cheap nearby motels near this Hostel, pay the extra $7 at the motel. it's worth it. forget this Hostel.  , age 47, American ()
1   Cheapest option and probably the worst This was definitely the cheapest place to stay in Orlando and you get what you pay for. The owner is a HUGE JERK, avoid him if you can. If you need to get up early and get into the office, he doesn't get off his lazy butt until after 8am. The bunk beds are uncomfortable and there are loads of snorers. Plus, the facilities are pretty grimy, the cleaning woman sits around all day. Good luck trying to cook, the kitchen is disgusting and most of the burners on the stove don't work. Cheap is cheap.  , age 22, USA ()
2   Ok if you are traveling solo Pros -- Free wifi in fact the wifi is great for a hostel. Cheap -- I stayed four nights for just over 60 bucks. Location -- It is pretty close to a lot of the major attractions. Cons -- Unfriendly and unhelpful staff. The staff just doesn't care about anything just so long as you pay. Safety -- I understand staying at a hostel comes with its risks, but when the door to your room can't even shut all the way and thereby prevents it from being able to lock, that adds a new level of unsafeness. You could literally just push the door open and walk into the room I was lodged in. Inconvenience -- I had to catch an early plane out of Orlando, but was the office open to drop my key and linens off? Nope. The office didn't open till eight, even then they were a out ten minutes late the day I left. So if you have an early morning flight I would stay away from here. As I just about missed my flight. The 'x' factor -- They don't have it. From the unfriendly staff to the way the property is maintained (horribly even though it is a lovely piece of property and has huge potential they are just letting it go to waste), to the inconvenience factor (see number 3)-you just get the feeling that you are an unwanted intruder necessary for them to make a living. Now I don't expect Marriott service at a hostel, but I do expect professionalism which this place was definitely lacking.  , age 27, American ()
5   Great place had a great time. Have stayed at many hostels and rate this one a great one. Its also near Disney. The staff was fun and the rooms clean and not overcrowded. I recommend this place.  , USA ()
4   Very nice Hostel, poor bus service in Kis./ Orlando I really liked staying here and stayed longer than I planned. There are only two bad things about the hostel. The shuttle services to theme parks are rather pricey (might be worth staying somewhere with free shuttles since the bus really takes forever to go to some parks when I finally arrives [not on time or even close most of the time]). The second one is the old mattresses. Ok, and the kitchen opens at 8am, before that time you cant get in ... sucks if you just want to take some food out of the fridge to catch an early shuttle. Other than that, the hostel is great. Its clean, nice people, good facilities, close to supermarkets (be careful when crossing Hw. 192), nice rooms, friendly stuff, helpful with information and bookings ... and really cheap.  , Germany ()
1   Poor service. Rude staff. Never stay here I booked this hostel over the phone with a credit card. One of the girls I was traveling with called later to confirm the booking. The staff then for some reason made two bookings under two different names and charged my credit card twice. When we got there I explained what had happened and was basically told that it was my fault and that they would not be refunding the money because we did not give them enough notice? After several arguments and phone calls WEEKS after we left (the booking was for several people so not a small amount of money when you are traveling). They finally refunded 80% of the charge. I could not believe that because of a mistake that their staff made I lost money. The hostel itself is nowhere near the parks and getting around was not easy. I have stayed in hundreds of packpackers in my time and this was by far one of the worst. Dont stay here, there are better options.  , Australia ()
1   There is a reason why this place is so cheap, and it's not good. This hostel was very deceptive. Their cheap prices is a clear reflection of their poor reputation. Run by a rude, cocky, and deluded individual who shows anything but professionalism in his work. I'd rather pay a little bit more to have a more pleasant experience in Orlando.  , american ()
Palm Lakefront Resort & Hostel Reviews from the Web