Bear's Den Hostel

How is Bear's Den Hostel rated on other websites?
5   Great hostel I stayed here last week during a section hike from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry. The new caretakers have been in place for about 4 months. Not only is the hiker room available 365 days a year 24/7, there are other accommodations in the lodge section: female and male bunk room and a private room with en suite bathroom that sleeps 6 people. You can also tent on the grounds. Some have complained about prices and services; you have to be realistic. It is their job to run the hostel and they cannot just leave to drive people all over the place. I didn't think I was getting gouged by prices. Services are a la carte and you can cater to what you want in your price range: shower, bunk, tent, laundry. They even have clothes to borrow so you can get your laundry done. It is in the middle of nowhere -- it's a RETREAT, beautiful and peaceful-even with a full house of thru hikers. Very, very clean hostel. I was impressed and my teenage boys loved it too.  , USA ()
5   Thru-hiker 2008 I was finishing up a 2008 N.B. hike Ga.- Harpers Ferry. I thru-hiked the A.T.in 1999 but passed on the Bears Den that year however other hikers said it was great. This year (mid Nov.) I was experiencing a freak cold snap with daytime temps in the upper 20's to low 30's snow flurries & evening temps. in the teens. Since I was hiking with only my rainfly I decided to stop in to warmup & make a couple phone calls. I was greeted kindly given a tour (no other thru-hikers were present) and was encouraged to stay. I wouldnt have spent the $27 dollars since all I wanted a hot shower and bunk. I was told I could get both and something to eat for $10 with no work for stay. Instead I decided to push because the place was so cool I was afraid had I stayed I would pulled a triple zero day. I cannot comment on other peoples experiences, nor can I say the $10 treatment I was offered should be an expected courtesy available for every hiker. As every thru-hiker knows situations on the A.T.can vary. I can say the place rules and if Thru-hiking or hiking in general you owe it to yourself to check out this semi-Gothic looking Hostel. Lastly, the treatment one receives from a hostel often reflects those who previously stayed there and if you cannot follow the rules of any hostel/hotel, keep moving.  , USA ()
5   This place is the best I've stayed at the "Bear's Den" many times. The staff are friendly and helpful. I've been there as a hiker and by motorcycle with no problem. If anybody gets reprimanded for anything it's probably because they deserved it. You have to remember that people stay here with their children sometimes. No alcohol, no smoking, and no foul language. This place is clean, peaceful, and inexpensive. I love it.  , USA ()
5   Great! Charming rustic lodge on Appalachian Trail. Hikers' room has TV, free computer/internet, and long distance phone. Staff couldn't have been nicer. Hikers very friendly and interesting. Several theme trails on the grounds. Clean and quiet!  , usa ()
4  Stayed here overnight with some friends who were hiking through. Did the Roller Coaster with them and arrived after 9 when they close up for the night. Not only were we well received, but there was genuine interest in our well-being and lives. If there's a Christian emphasis here, I prob would have picked up on it, but instead I saw hospitality. I'm sure there are always hang-ups when attempting to make logistics work for transportation, but I have faith. They have your best intentions in mind.  , United States ()
1  Help? What's that? There was no assistance forthcoming. When I looked for someone to give me a thought about where to get a meal, or how to get a shuttle, or canoeing, or directions to Harper's Ferry -- or even to the North Ridge at Sky Meadows -- no help. The chastising lodge mistress is a bear and has no business reprimanding grown adults who are paying for a night's rest -- I have a mother thanks. Also, the deal really isn't. essentially for $10 more you get a pint of Ben andJerry ice cream and a Tombstone pizza that would cost you half that in the nearby town. Beverages are extra. I moved on quickly and you should too!  ()
4  This is a beautiful place in a beautiful setting with friendly staff; but be aware that, as the staff will tell you when you check in, it is no longer a "hostel." This is now a "trail center" and caters to those coming in off the trail. Also know that the manager considers her service there a Christian mission; prayers and occasional mild chastisement come with the package.  ()
3  A beautiful location and a great place for thru-hikers. There are lots of trails and a beautiful overlook to see the sunset. They didn't seem to take too well to us as people who drove in to visit the area, though. It's very much in the middle of nowhere, so I wouldn't recommend it if anyone in your group gets scared easily. (It kind of looks like the setting for a scary movie.)  ()