AAE SF European Hostel

The easiest way to go to the European Hostel is by public transportation -- the tram or the bus. When you are arriving by car, you should be aware that the hostel does not have its own parking spaces. Parking in the street nearby is prohibited, but right across the little street there is a small parking lot, where you can leave the car for a fee. There are a lot of homeless people on the streets nearby, so it's not in the best part of town but it's still reasonably safe.

The reception in the hostel is not always occupied. It is better to call before arriving or you might have to wait on the street until somebody arrives.

The hostel has mixed two-, four-, and six-bed dorms. They are very small and only very sparsely furnished. There is a shared kitchen, fully equipped with a microwave, fridge, stove and dishes. There are also four tables and chairs to sit on, if you'd like to eat in the kitchen. Eating in the dorms is prohibited. Free tea and coffee is available in the kitchen and if you'd like to watch TV, there is a huge TV for general use in the kitchen. The kitchen is not too clean -- be aware of little animals in the toaster.

The bathrooms and toilets are very small too and they don't always smell good. One good thing is that they should have a storage room so if your train, bus, or plane goes late. And they do have a little terrace on the roof of the house.

All in all the hostel is cheap, but not too clean. It's not very far away from all the major tourist attractions, especially from lots of museums in SOMA.

August 2005
How is AAE SF European Hostel rated on other websites?
1   Worst hostel! Me and my boyfriend booked to stay for 2 weeks in this hostel, and when we arrived for check in, the man on the desk who was polite said that we could pay for one week first and then pay for the second, which made me think why. We paid for the one week, and we were in a 6 bed mixed dorm, which wasn't big enough for 4 beds let alone 6! After that one day we upgraded to a private room, and paid the difference. Nobody really spoke to us and the hostel wasn't exactly clean, so we tried to stay out as long as we could. We came to check out of the private room and back into the mixed dorm that we had already paid for and the same man on reception tried to get more money out of us, telling us that we had only paid for 5 days and not 7. We were not willing to pay more to stay in such a dirty hostel. There were homeless people everywhere and people in the alleyway injecting themselves. I would never ever go back to this hostel. We left 2 days early and booked another hostel.  , age 27, England ()
2   Not a great area but an ok stay! Could be cleaner but we did see the cleaner working hard every day so they seem to be trying to improve this aspect! The fridge needs a clean though as the smell was awful. The area is close to city centre and a fairly short walk from the pier and golden gate park which are both nice places. Unfortunately there are a lot of homeless people about so I wouldn't head out after dark without a plan and a group. TV in dining room, not a lot of plug sockets in rooms, three bathrooms on our floor, staff could be friendlier but will answer any questions, free WiFi, a lot of cool people staying there! Overall it fits the cheap hostel stereotype the only difference being the intimidating area.  , age 20, British ()
1   WORST HOSTEL EVER This is the worst hostel we have ever stayed at!!!!! They took over half an hour to find the online reservation that we had made and didn't seem to know what they were doing. We eventually got into our room and were very disappointed to find that they did not provide linen or towels. We woke up with bed bug bites! They don't provide a breakfast. Their rooftop bar is nonexistent, as is the city view. Do not stay here, hostels of the same price get much better that this!!  , NZ and England ()
1   Managed with incompetence I had reserved two nights. Three days prior to my arrival I specifically canceled only the first night. When I arrived to spend my single night there, there told me that they had canceled my entire reservation. This hostel is managed my immature idiots. I would highly recommend that you stay elsewhere.  , U.S.A. ()
1   What a hellhole The place is filthy and the owners are always trying to squeeze an extra five to ten dollars out of you for one thing or another. Bedbugs are a real issue and they won't spend the money to correct it.  , usa ()
2   You get what you pay for I stayed in a six-bed dorm and it was probably the tiniest dorm room I've ever been in with maybe two square feet of walking room. The bathrooms were disgusting and the kitchen was as well. The staff didn't seem to know what was going on and I too had the experience of them losing my reservation, although it wasn't a problem for them to fix it with me, but the staff as a whole just seemed very discombobulated. It's not in a really great part of the city. Lots of homeless around, a few methadone clinics and halfway houses line the nearby streets. I'd stay elsewhere.  , U.S. ()
1   The worst hostel The staff at the hostel were friendly. But I had bedbugs in my bed. After two days I had hundred blisters in my arms and legs. The kitchen had mice and the rooms were not cleaned at all.  , Polisch ()
1  The worst place that I stayed. My fiance and I made a reservation for a private room, and when we arrived there, the owner doesn't have private rooms for us. On the next day, he transferred us to a couple room, but the mattress was terrible. Other terrible thing it was about parking. When we booked the on hostels.com, it was saying that there was a parking lot. The biggest lie that we heard since we arrive there.  ()
AAE SF European Hostel Reviews from the Web