The Stumble Inn

The Stumble Inn is a privately run backpacker hostel is owned by alternative lifestylers who know just about all there is to know about all aspects of life in Lagos, especially partying, so it is very much aimed at beach and partying travelers. It has a somewhat boutique feeling, as it accommodates under thirty guests, so if you are keen, make sure you book ahead. Conversely, this is probably not the best location for those seeking peace and quiet.

The Stumble Inn is located in a narrow old street at Rua Soeiro de Costa 10-12, in the central tourist area, and no surprise, there are bars, clubs, and restaurants all around. Take a careful note of the address as it is not well signed outside. You can pick up free maps at many places through the town centre. It is about a ten-minute walk from the bus station and fifteen from the rail station. There is no bus passing the door, but there are usually taxis around in town. The easiest access beaches are across the river, back past the rail station -- allow twenty minutes or so, but there are others nearby. There are plenty surfing, bike, scooter, and car rentals and boat trips on offer.

The rooms are of a moderate size and not too crowded -- most dorms here can accommodate just three persons (most hostels would house four in similar-sized rooms). Mixed gender dorms are available. The metal-framed beds are sturdy and not noisy and there are lockers. Each room has the local-style shutters on windows, increasing security and reducing noise.

The bathrooms are individual and not gender segregated -- each contains a shower and a toilet and all were in good condition during our stay.

The common room is cosy with plentiful soft sofas, but there are no tables and chairs (there is a small dining room between the kitchen and the patio, which has some). The décor is student/backpacker in style with a peace theme. The outside patio, which has a barbecue, is a bit small but becomes the centre of social activity in the summer, especially as it's the only smoking location (the rest of the place is nonsmoking). The kitchen is moderate in size but quite well equipped and should satisfy most travelers' needs. There's free Wi-Fi, which is accessible in all parts of the hostel. Security is fine, as the front door is normally kept locked and reception is set immediately inside the door -- guests are given keys to the front entrance and to their room.

Summary

This hostel is well worth considering -- the owners are laid back and the facilities should suit most people. It is clearly going to be a fun place for those who want to head for the beach and then party and enjoy social activity well into the night. We stayed in mid-winter -- the hostel was actually closed to allow some time for refurbishment and for the owners, Jamie and Allie, to entertain friends. However, they not only allowed three of us to stay there when our other hostel closed for two nights for Christmas but they also included us in their Christmas partying with friends from the city. The food and drink were excellent and the company great.

Somehow, we just don't see this place ever being confused with a home for retired gentlefolk. When the season is in full swing, those who prefer a quieter environment should consider continuing on up the road to the next hostel, but for the rest -- eat, drink, party, and then Stumble Inn!

by OldNomad
March 2011

How is The Stumble Inn rated on other websites?
The Stumble Inn Reviews from the Web
1   Book elsewhere! I consider myself to be an experienced backpacker having traveled all over Latin America, staying in hostels (some good, some very, very bad). However, I have never been treated the way this hostel treated me. I asked for a dorm away from any communal areas and chose the hostel because it had lockers. The dorm I was given had a window that opened out onto the patio where everyone was smoking and there were no lockers, just cupboards. Consequently you had to shut the window in order to secure your valuables, and this intensified the smell of mould and damp in the room. When I asked to move to another room, the owner (who was clearly high on some sort of drug) threw my deposit at me and told me to get out, leaving me and my friend (two young females) bedless and with problems finding other accommodation due to it being high season. It was also 10pm! I would have been happy to have stayed in the room until another dorm bed became available, but the owner just insulted me and told me I knew nothing about hostels and told me to leave. I know enough to know that other hostels don't do this! Don't make the mistake I did by booking there!  , British ()