Wellywood Backpackers

Impossible to miss with its zebra-striped exterior, Wildlife House is a fantastic place to stay in the centre of Wellington. The facilities are excellent and include a travel shop, free 24 hour internet access, a small gym, spa pool and sauna, TV lounge, pool table, laundry, and a whole lot more. The rooms are clean and fairly spacious - either use your own sleeping bag or hire a duvet from reception. The showers are excellent - each floor has several shower rooms and toilets. The kitchen area is also extremely well equipped with lots of fridge and freezer space and great cooking facilities, including ovens. It was always clean and tidy.

Although there is no bar in the hostel, guests recieve a discount at the nearby Wellington Sports Cafe on presentation of a room key and are often able to take advantage of special promotions.

Access to Wildlife House is very easy. From the airport, the Flyer bus is a cheap option and stops very close to the hostel. Many buses pass with a minute's walk of the hostel and its central location means it is easy to get to all the shops and sights of the city. There is also a large supermarket five minutes away.

April 2004
How is Wellywood Backpackers rated on other websites?
2   A real DIVE Having backpacked my way around australia and a few places in new zealand i was used to the lifestyle and so on but i guess my fiance and i expected a decent double room for what we paid. The location is great although we were not given directions when i asked and had to find it ourselves. The common room is dirty, their were holes in the wall of our room and the en-suite was like a prison shower in a dorm room. There was also no complimentary tea, coffee or anything, every other backpackers i have stayed at had tea and coffee but this one did not even have sugar to put in your tea. We would never stay here again as the backpackers that come here are rude, vulgar, and noisy. The spa pool cost 5.00 and was horrible, it felt like being in a boiling pot and the bed was hard with only one pillow instead of two which u tend to get in most private rooms. For a premium room we did expect a little more. I would advise against this place. It only gets two stars because the staff were friendly.  , New Zealand ()
3   Large, Central, But a bit worn down. We stayed in the Wellywood Backpackers for four nights between Christmas and New year in 2007. The place has large common areas with arcades, a very worn pool table, five free internet computers (no usb), and a decent kitchen. The TV room has two watchable channels (2 and 3), so don't be told it has Sky. The Gym doesn't exist despite what guidebooks say. Generally it's a decent enough hostel, the double rooms where large with a clean double bed, a couch and table. The rooms have power points to recharge phones and cameras. The rooms are secure, but are not cleaned during your duration. To be honest the dorms look very cramped. There seems to be a lot (around twenty) long term lodgers in the hostel, which detracts from the hostel itself. The Kitchen is worn down, but its quite clean -- there are plenty of plates, cups, and cutlery and three toasters, none of which function correctly. It's located right in the centre and everything is within walking distance, the small supermarket is ok, but it's a 7/11. Lastly, there is no parking so you'll be paying at least $10 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. for all day parking. I was happy with the large room, and despite it being a bit rough around the edges, we had a decent stay.  , Scottish ()
3  I have stayed at this Hostel approx 6 times and loved it. but my last visit was disappointed to find no clean cups in the place and rags as T towels, the common area was not kept clean. Both this time and last I have come away with intensely itchy skin; I will not stay again much to my disappointment. Surely with the amount of people you are putting through you could spend a little extra on pleasantries.  ()
4  We landed here after a mix up with our previous hostel, were very pleasantly surprised. Everything was clean and tidy when we got there. The double en-suite room was comfortable. The staff extremely helpful. The kitchen was very spacious. Nice communal areas.  ()
3  loud and dirty, but the location is great. If you're looking for a place to relax, go elsewhere. If you're looking for a place to crash after an all-night bender, it's perfect. And the coffee is good (check the coffee shop!).  ()
4  The TV rooms (2) are stinky, but you can open a window if you really want to. Overall, it's reasonably well heated. The gym IS a bit of joke. But the common area is huge, with a fireplace, and a pool table ($2). They have a nice jacuzzi tucked upstairs, but don't be surprised by the $50 deposit. There's a dozen computers and lots of space for your food. Overall, it's quiet. I had a desk/table in my room, which was good because I needed to get some work done. I had to scrounge my own lamp though, which is for some reason not an easy thing to do in Wellington. Yes, the place is occasionally taken over by kids. You can forget using the computers when they're about. But all that can be said about that is to stop whining and go to the library or an internet cafe. If you're not inclined to walk, the bus is right ouside the door and the taxi's are honest (wierd huh?).  ()
1  This place was dirty and smelly. Although it is very central (which is its selling point) I will not be back to this dive of a place. I found a sweaty sock and used cereal bowl under my bed and the staff did not apologize or sort this out when I brought it to their attention. The communal TV room smelled disgusting. This place would benefit from some decent cleaning.  ()
3  On first impression, this hostel looks fantastic — great Web site, newly renovated. But it does have some problems. There is not enough room in the showers to keep your clothes dry. They REALLY need bath mats or something as the floors are SOGGY. Group rooms are crowded with no space to put luggage or belongings, meaning they are scattered around the floor in piles!! The place is regularly taken over with schools kids, making the facilities very hard to use — the TV room (smelly) gets booked and the kitchen is swarming. It means no hot water in the morning as well. The gym does not exist so, don't let that sway you. It is an exercise bike and a small bench for weights. The people seem okay. Staff answered lots of my questions and the location is great for getting about Wellington — I can't complain about that at all. As long as you don't expect too much, this is an okay place to stay. Ask about discounts for student cards or the like, as they won't tell you about them!!  ()