Atlantis Backpackers

The Hostelz.com Review

Atlantis Backpackers is a popular hostel in Picton, the city where you arrive if you are coming from the North Island.

The hostel is located centrally in Picton. If you arrive by ferry, it cannot be missed. After a few hundred meters, the building is right in front of you, with "Atlantis Backpackers" in big letters on the building. It is just a few minutes' walk to the i-Site, supermarket, bars, restaurants, and everything else you might need. There are enough parking spots in front of the building, but these are limited to one-hour parking during the day. The hostel also offers a few off-street parking spots, but availability is not guaranteed.

Atlantis Backpackers offers both private rooms and dorms. The dorms are cheap, but also very big -- the biggest has twenty-eight beds. Luckily, the beds are placed in such a way that it doesn’t feel like a twenty-eight-bed dorm and each bed has a little curtain for some privacy. The dorms are spacious, with enough space for luggage. Some beds have a little shelf, which is very handy. Reading lights can be borrowed from the reception. The bigger dorms cannot be locked and you have to pay for lockers, which is a bit of an unlucky combination. The mattresses are quite uncomfortable, but other than that, the beds are clean, sturdy, and not noisy.

Some of the private rooms have their own bathroom, all others share three showers and three toilets. This is a bit too little for more than fifty people sharing, so you have to pick your shower times strategically. The showers have two hooks and a shelf for shampoo, and they are nice and clean.

Atlantis Backpackers has nice common areas, but they are all just a bit too small for the amount of people. There is a movie room, a kitchen, and two living rooms. The movie room is small, but has a good TV. The reception has lots of movies you can borrow for free. The living room has a nice sitting area and a pool table. It’s not very big, so on a busy evening, you might not find a place to sit. The second living room is a bit smaller and has only a few couches. There are books in different places in the hostel, so there is a lot of choice if you are looking to exchange a book or two. The kitchen is small for the amount of people trying to cook in there and the fridge is stuffed. The kitchen equipment is ok and clean.

Breakfast is served in the kitchen every morning and consists of the typical toast with jam and cereal with milk. Coffee and tea is also free of charge. Every evening there is free dessert, which is a nice little extra. Atlantis Backpackers also offers free Wi-Fi, but the internet is so bad, it’s almost useless.

The vibe in this hostel is quite young, with many long-term work and travel backpackers. Guests here seem to hang out with people of their own countries, with little English spoken in the common rooms. But if you’re open minded and not afraid of starting a conversation, you’ll probably manage to meet some cool people.

Summary

Atlantis Backpackers is an alright hostel in a perfect location in Picton. It has a relaxed atmosphere and the bigger dorms are cheap, but the common rooms are quite cramped for the amount of people.
by Paulien
2016-02-09

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Atlantis Backpackers" at 42 London Quay, Corner of Auckland Street and London Quay.)

42 London Quay, Corner of Auckland Street and London Quay, Picton (Marlborough Sounds), New Zealand
-41.288770, 174.006762 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.atlantishostel.co.nz
(03) 573 7390
(0064) (03) 5738876

How is Atlantis Backpackers rated on other websites?

Great Hostel with Minor Drawbacks
Excellent service and location. The only drawbacks were this -- thin mattresses (you can feel the boards through them) and I was put in the large 30 person dorm even though I selected a smaller dorm online when I made the booking. Like I said though, these issues are minor (for me) and I was still able to fully enjoy my stay in Picton.
BJ
Age 24, USA
2015-02-18

Excellent service
Great vibe, great staff, awesome place.
Anita
Age 36, Hungary
2015-01-05

A magic place
Amazing hostel with a great vibe. Everyone makes you feel at home. One of the best place I've stayed.
Catherine
Age 24, Canada
2014-10-06

Best hostel on South Island
I didn't plan on staying in Picton but missed my bus and this was the first hostel I stumbled upon from the ferry terminal -- so glad I did. The owner (I've forgotten her name) was incredibly friendly and welcoming and stopped to chat whenever I saw her. I got a bed in the big dormitory -- it turned out I was the only person in it, but it didn't feel like a big dorm. You get your own curtain around your bed which makes it very private (I daresay it's something all hostels could try), your own lamp and own plug. The kitchen is well equipped and the facilities excellent. A unique and wonderful hostel.
Peter
2014-02-20

Great place to stay
I have stayed here four times now, and have just booked again because I am happy with the location, the accommodation and the facilities, and also the support from the staff. I can honestly recommend this backpackers to anyone, oh and by the way they also have some nice private motel units out back for families or couples wanting privacy that are also reasonably priced.
mark
(New Zealand)
2012-08-31

Home away from Home
The first thing that greets you is the warmth and great hospitality!!! nothing was a problem, everything is explained well. the staff are so helpful and staying here makes you feel like you belong!!! i left to go to another place to sleep for 1 night and it was awful!! i wish that atlantis had kept me!!!
Helena Marshall
(New Zealand)
2011-01-12

Fantastic hostel and cheap
What a great hostel, and fantastic staff make you feel very welcome. The internet is only $2 for thirty minutes and they have awesome computers. Loads of space in the dorm and lockers we were able to store our bags in while we walked the queen charlotte track were only $2 for three days! Plus they booked our Track pass for us and all our accommodation. wicked service highly recommended.
Mary
(Ireland)
2007-12-28
Atlantis Backpackers is just five minutes from both the main bus stops and the ferry terminal. Should you be interested, it is also less than five minutes to a very nice Irish bar. It really is quite a good location. So this is yet another reasonably priced hostel. The girl at the reception desk is very friendly and helpful. We are staying in a six-bed dorm room. We feel the room is a little small for six people with backpacks. When we are all there, which has happened a couple of times, it is quite tight. There are no lockers so everything stays in our packs for the night, taking up valuable floor space. The beds are comfortable enough though, if maybe a tad short for a tall person. The kitchen however, has good facilities for cooking and eating, and also a couple of microwave ovens. Everything is clean. It can get a little busy but there is plenty of stuff to go around. The bathroom we are sharing has a couple of toilets and a couple of showers. This is enough as long as you don't pick peak shower times. The TV/soft chair area seats around twenty people comfortably and you can watch movies here. There is also an internet room with three terminals. We have not made use of that though, as it is the most expensive we have seen. This place also has a good-sized, heated indoor pool. We have had a good stay here but it doesn't make our top ten.
stephen taylor