Atlantis

Atlantis Backpackers is just five minutes from both the main bus stops and the ferry terminal. Should you be interested, it is also less than five minutes to a very nice Irish bar. It really is quite a good location.

So this is yet another reasonably priced hostel. The girl at the reception desk is very friendly and helpful. We are staying in a six-bed dorm room. We feel the room is a little small for six people with backpacks. When we are all there, which has happened a couple of times, it is quite tight. There are no lockers so everything stays in our packs for the night, taking up valuable floor space. The beds are comfortable enough though, if maybe a tad short for a tall person.

The kitchen however, has good facilities for cooking and eating, and also a couple of microwave ovens. Everything is clean. It can get a little busy but there is plenty of stuff to go around. The bathroom we are sharing has a couple of toilets and a couple of showers. This is enough as long as you don't pick peak shower times.
The TV/soft chair area seats around twenty people comfortably and you can watch movies here. There is also an internet room with three terminals. We have not made use of that though, as it is the most expensive we have seen. This place also has a good-sized, heated indoor pool. We have had a good stay here but it doesn't make our top ten.

January 2007

How is Atlantis rated on other websites?
Atlantis Reviews from the Web
5   Best hostel on South Island I didn't plan on staying in Picton but missed my bus and this was the first hostel I stumbled upon from the ferry terminal -- so glad I did. The owner (I've forgotten her name) was incredibly friendly and welcoming and stopped to chat whenever I saw her. I got a bed in the big dormitory -- it turned out I was the only person in it, but it didn't feel like a big dorm. You get your own curtain around your bed which makes it very private (I daresay it's something all hostels could try), your own lamp and own plug. The kitchen is well equipped and the facilities excellent. A unique and wonderful hostel.  ()
5   Great place to stay I have stayed here four times now, and have just booked again because I am happy with the location, the accommodation and the facilities, and also the support from the staff. I can honestly recommend this backpackers to anyone, oh and by the way they also have some nice private motel units out back for families or couples wanting privacy that are also reasonably priced.  , New Zealand ()
5   Home away from Home The first thing that greets you is the warmth and great hospitality!!! nothing was a problem, everything is explained well. the staff are so helpful and staying here makes you feel like you belong!!! i left to go to another place to sleep for 1 night and it was awful!! i wish that atlantis had kept me!!!  , New Zealand ()
5   Fantastic hostel and cheap What a great hostel, and fantastic staff make you feel very welcome. The internet is only $2 for thirty minutes and they have awesome computers. Loads of space in the dorm and lockers we were able to store our bags in while we walked the queen charlotte track were only $2 for three days! Plus they booked our Track pass for us and all our accommodation. wicked service highly recommended.  , Ireland ()
4  I liked this hostel greatly. The staff were kind and helpful. The place was easy going, friendly, and in a good location. I was impressed that there was free chicken noodle soup in the evening we stayed, as well as free breakfasts next day. The Irish bar around the corner keeps a guitar under the bar as well as a barwn (a Celtic drum, spelled differently in Ireland apparently but still pronounced "barwn") with lots of people ready to sing. My stay was for only one night, but I will return to New Zealand at some point and spend much more time in this charming town and welcoming hostel.  ()
5  somehow i planned to stay one night and ended up leaving two months later. was awesome actually. all the staff were awesome. the whole place was good for me, help me put things and life into perspective. always had hot water, heater when we needed it, tea or coffee any time plus good and interesting people to talk with, hell i even loved doing my washing and laundry for free and not to mention dvd's anytime.  ()
3  Not a bad backpacker at all. Nice enough beds with different ocean motifs for each room, efficient kitchen/dining room, free pool table and good location.  ()