QueenStreet Backpackers

Queen Street Backpackers is in need of better management, especially in the area of cleaning and maintenance. There are many hostels in central Auckland that are just as close to the ferry and train terminals. Go to those first, and use this one as a last resort if the others are full. If you need to leave early in the morning, you may end up leaving without breakfast, as you cannot have access to the kitchen until after 8 a.m.

This hostel is located in the heart of Auckland, close to the ferry, train, and main bus terminals. It is easy to find.

The bunked dorm rooms sleep six and you can request a female-only or male-only dorm room. The dorm rooms are locked, and you are given a key when you register (there is a deposit for the key). There are no in-room lockers. When we arrived around 7 p.m. on our first night, the linen had not been changed and the trash had not been emptied. The bathrooms are not very clean, especially in the corners. The showers are ok, and have a place to put your soap, and a small area to change.

The common space in the main lobby area includes two pool tables, a bar, and a large-screen TV. This space is not kept clean. There is a computer room for the internet. The kitchen opens at 8 a.m. or later, and there is only one coffee mug in the kitchen, which is not good, and quite unusual for a hostel. The kitchen is clean, and has a refrigerator. It is a social hostel where you are likely to meet other friendly backpackers.

We would not recommend this hostel, unless the other ones in Central Auckland are full, and you need to be close to the ferry or train terminal for a quick getaway in the morning. We also do not recommend this hostel for anyone who has trouble with stairs or a lot of luggage, as there is no elevator, and a minimum of two flights of stairs to climb.
by Diane Emerson
February 2011

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "QueenStreet Backpackers" at 4 Fort Street, Auckland CBD.)

4 Fort Street, Auckland CBD, Auckland Central, Auckland, New Zealand
-36.845821, 174.766922
64 9 358 2412

How is QueenStreet Backpackers rated on other websites?

Please boycott this hostel!
The manager is a horrible person with no esteem and respect at all for backpackers! She talked to me with aggressiveness and arrogance. She speaks very loud in general and her attitude is not professional at all. I ve just asked her if the hostel had free map before leaving and she didnt even look at me. Seeing that i wasnt happy with her she started talking to me very unkindly (i would say she's just mean deep inside) and i'm pretty sure i'm older than her. i'm just asking you not to go to this hostel if you are used to hostels and dont want to be treated poorly just because you dont pay for a 4-stars room and they think one or less person whatever, it's the same. if everybody boycott it wont be the same. you see the mentality now. and if you land in auckland and start with this hostel you will think people from nz are not that nice. So dont just start your stay with this hostel because you will be upset by their attitude. I want to add that it's cold inside and the doors of the reception always open in winter. Not very cosy and secure but it's my opinion.
Age 31, Belge
Worst sleep I've had in 2 years of travel
I booked the hostel as it looked like a great location, all rooms had big windows, it had free wifi. I had the worst sleep I've ever had traveling. The thin foam mattress had seen better days & was not comfy at all. Anywhere I lay the metal of the frame digged into my back. Not the best for $31 a night when you can pay the same or cheaper in Auckland and get better. The toilet was dire too. No sinks in any of them! Something I've never encountered before in hostels. There was an old sanitary gel dispenser that clearly hadn't been filled in a while. So unhygienic and disgusting with so many people using the loos. There was also not a single small mirror in the rooms or in the bathrooms so difficult to get ready. Would not recommend or stay again. Really need to work on little touches to improve the place. One thing going for it though is the super friendly and helpful staff!
Age 25, Uk
Excellent hostel but a little noisy
The hostel and staff are excellent. Everyone is helpful and friendly. One of the biggest advantages for me was the free wifi and location. I would have given this hostel 5 stars if it wasn't for the noise on the weekends, the upside is that you can ask reception for ear buds, which they give to guests for free unlike other hostels I've stayed where they charge for them. If you don't mind the noise on the weekends I would definitely recommend queen street backpackers.
In need of a new review.
I don't know what this hostel was like in the past but judging from the reviews it wasn't that great. I stayed here on and off for about 6 months as I traveled around New Zealand in 2013. The hostel has been recently renovated and looks different from the pictures shown. There are areas of the hostel which need some maintenance but from what I saw there was always someone fixing things and was either repairing or replacing beds or painting the hostel. It is located in a busy part of the city and on weekends can be quite noisy with the bars close by but all in all it's not a bad place to stay. The staff are friendly and helpful and more than willing to give advice on travel in New Zealand. The biggest bonus for me was the free wifi even though slow sometimes. The place is clean and well looked after and by the looks of things, the staff working there now must be different from those previous.
Lucas Brown
Age 23, USA
Absolutely terrible
Rude staff who were unhelpful when you asked questions (one girl who worked there actually yelled at us). Filthy rooms and facilities (unwashed sink in room, rubbish on floor, marks on sheets). Hardly got any sleep as it was so loud outside. Would never stay there again.
(New Zealand)
Avoid like the plague -- a lesson in how not to run a hostel.
My doubts about this placed were raised after i was 'greeted' by a snappy girl at the desk, having already waited 20mins at reception. Eventually I was given a key but warned that the room may already be full, a fact that was confirmed after I walked upstairs into a musty four bed squat full of Korean girls who were less than happy that I had barged in on them. I returned to reception to be allocated a new bed, but was told off by the same, this time even snappier receptionist, and made to return to the back of the queue and wait another 20 mins. This time I was given a bed in a dorm on the first floor. The room was grubby, as were showers, toilets -- basically the whole place. The smell of stale cigarette smoke loomed throughout the dank corridors, amongst dead flies and used tissues. My nights sleep totaled about 50minutes as I was literally attempting to snooze above a pumping stereo. It is the fist time in my life I was glad to see the sun begin to rise and end my purgatory. I was strangely uplifted by the noise of the delivery lorry unloading beneath me at 5am as it ended hours of Rihanna/Lady Gaga tedium that had assaulted my ear drums from midnight onwards. If this review makes one person, just one, decide against staying in this understaffed, grimy, hovel of a place, I will sleep forever peacefully. In three words, JUST SAY NO!
Ed, UK
  I was staying there in december 2005. Rooms stank, kitchen was full of ants. I wanted to have a package sent from home: no problem!! But when i mentioned that i booked a trip to the Bay of Islands elswhere, all of a sudden the guy said: take your package somewhere else. Great staff!!!!!!!! Bunch of amateurs
  This place is just off the main street in Auckland.It is not actually on Queens Street, as the title would suggest. It is on the street opposite the Travellers Contact Point. It is a small entrance, and after a trip up stairs (no facilities for disabled) you reach reception. The reception is also within the lounge area. There is a big disadvantage to this place and that is that you can smoke in the lounge. Therefore when you walk through the doors, you are greeted with stale smoke, not very welcoming! The staff are upbeat and happy and will assist where possible and that may be to make up for the hostel itself. The rooms are small and cramped and the noise from the streets below can be overwhelming. The bathrooms are literally showers behind a door, and the showers, toilets and washbasins are all seperate. The laundry facilites are also on the same floor as the bedrooms and if some-one decided to do their washing late at night, it could keep you up. Overall the whole place is a little run down and needs a big tiy up. The kitchens are adequate but every-one decided to us it, there would not be enough room. Auckland is a main city and therefore somehow the hostel knows it will get trade no matter what, but with that attitude it will not continue forever.
(United Kingdom)