The Cardboard Box

The Cardboard Box is a very lively and warm hostel with friendly and caring staff. The rooms (all named after Southern African countries with the respective flags painted on the doors) are spacious, bright and very quiet at night. There is a bar (open till late) around the swimming pool, internet access, a common kitchen at the back of the reception and a safe (free of charge) for valuables. The bar doubles as a restaurant, but be aware that the kitchen closes at 8:30 pm.

The bathrooms are very clean so are the rooms (even if the floor could do with some more sweeping, what with all the people coming back from various safaris and bringing in the sand and the dust of the desert nearby).

by David
How is The Cardboard Box rated on other websites?
The Cardboard Box Reviews from the Web
1   Decrepit, dirty party place In all my travels, I've only encountered a handful of places I wouldn't stay. This was one of them. A quick tour through the dirty, disgusting party hedonistic party atmosphere of the Cardboard Box, and I concluded that staying in an actual cardboard box would be preferable.  , age 33, Canada ()
5   What a place! i am dying to return to the box. fun bar, interesting what a place and staff. i am dying for my third visit, fun bar and interesting travelers.  , motswana ()
5   Excellent, friendly staff, clean facility, pool+bar Absolutely to recommend!!! Nice facility with clean rooms. Free pancake breakfast. There is even a pool am a bar. Nice location to meet lots of people and get in touch. I will go there again.  , Germany ()
2   Rundown, full of bedbugs This place got a good write-up in the guidebook, but it's clear no maintenance has been done since then. Showers don't drain, paint is peeling off the bedroom walls, no fly screens on the windows, no fans in the room, and worst of all it's full of bedbugs. My girlfriend has dozens of bites all over her body, and I was bitten on my arms and back. The bar is pretty good though and open late to visitors so I suggest staying somewhere else and then coming down for a drink.  , Austraiian ()
5   A Namibian Institution The Box is the cornerstone of Namibia's backpacker scene, back in the day when nobody heard of Namibia, this was the place to stay. It still is! The Box may be a little worn, but it still has its mojo. Little known fact, but the Harlech-Jones family that started the Box were part of the anti-apartheid resistance that helped Namibia gain independence. They later were responsible for helping jump-start the country's tourism industry, back when nobody ever heard of Namibia. They are quite modest about the whole thing.  , California ()
3   Value for money I don't really see why everyone is raving about this place. Atmosphere was good, but nothing special and I found it rather quiet (Oct. '08). Staff were friendly but not extremely helpful, and I can't help noticing that the rooms and facilities were a little rundown, pool was dirty. Meals served at the bar were microwave dishes and not very nice. That said, location is ok, dorms are cheap and breakfast/transfers to/from Intercape busstop are included in the price. If you're looking for a cheap and central place to stay and have a drink, Cardboard Box is the place to go.  , Switzerland ()
5   Superb! it was my second time there, still an amazing place to stay. the staff and chad the owner are so friendly and concerned about giving you the best service they can. there are no words to describe how cool that place is! well done!  , mauritius ()
5  The best place I've ever been to! I even ended up working at the bar which was great fun! Just an amazing place! And the staff is great too! If I come back to Namibia the Box is one of the reasons! I love it!  ()