Be Mar Hostel

Very new and clean hostel with air conditioning located a few blocks from Las Ramblas. Each bed has a small area surrounded by a curtain for a little bit of privacy and a big locker for your stuff. There is a small common area with some tables, and a couple small courtyard areas. The atmosphere is generally low-key and quiet. The guests are a mix of nationalities.

The showers stalls have doors but there is only a push button for the shower, with no temperature control (it's only sightly warm). The sinks have no hot water for shaving or washing clothes and there are no power outlets in the rooms.

Despite those minor negative points, this is probably one of the nicest hostels in Barcelona. Breakfast with juice, coffee, cereal, and bread from 7:30 to 9:30. Sheets cost extra. Arrive early to get a bed in the high season or reserve a bed ahead of time.

by David
How is Be Mar Hostel rated on other websites?
Be Mar Hostel Reviews from the Web
4   Lovely hostel i stays in this hotel trice a year very cheap place to stay if your touring barcelona. the dorms are quite big and cleans every day, the showers are big enough as well. staff are very helpful and friendly. kitchen is small but it does the job, as i eat out. anyway in barcelona theres plenty to do there, theres the big long beach 15 mins walk away so its perfect, plenty of restaurants at night like the hard rock cafe just mins away from hostel. great food there at a cheap cost. i would recommend this hostel in barcelona. overall i give this hostel 9/10 as the staff are very friendly and hostel is very clean.  , irish ()
1   Worst stay of my life This hostel is right in the middle of the red light district -- you walk past pimps, prostitutes, and drug dealers to get to it or to Las Ramblas. Although the rooms are clean, they are uncomfortably small and stank. On our way home on the first night, the man at the reception would not let us in and me and three friends were attacked right outside the hostel door and I had my bag stolen. After eventually getting inside screaming for the police, the man at reception refused to and told us we would have to walk to the nearest police station if we wanted to -- we were far too scared and shaken up to even step outside again as it was such a rough area. He also refused to change our room even though the attacker had run off with our room key which had the room number written on it. We now believe the man at reception may have had something to do with the attacker. Do not stay here, it is unsafe.  , British ()
2   Rude man at the coounter I stayed in this place September 2007. The guy running this place was one of the most rudest people I ever met. The one night I was there all of a sudden in the middle of the night this loud racket starts. It was the fan on the air conditioner motor. It kept going for a couple hours making all kinds of racket. Everyone woke up. I asked to be moved to another room as I could not sleep in this loud racket. He said no way I will just give you your money back and find another place know there was not a place to be had as there was some sort of festival going on. Plus this was 2 a.m.! He was not even apologetic for the racket. The beds are terrible especially if you are on the top bunk. they are made of steel, there is a steel/tin barrier between you and the next bunk. It was very loud if you bumped into this wall, you would always wake people up if you did. He would never let me move to a bottom bunk even when the place was vacant. He was so rude. The place is not is a great area. Not so good for a single girl traveler in my opinion.  , Canada ()
5  Perfect! I was there in august 2006. I went to different places in Europe and Barcelona Mar was the best one! Very clean, the beds are very confortable, the rooms are clean, bathroom too. The breakfast is simple but very good. And it's a perfect place to meet people because the place it's good to stay and they offer some types of tours around the best Barcelona's tapas bar and clubs. So, if you're looking for a cheap and wonderful place to stay in Barcelona, you should choose Barcelona Mar Hostel!  ()
4  Stayed early Aug '06. Clean and tidy hostel with a (busy) kitchen and (poor) free breakfast. Facilities were fine if at times crowded (get your timing right for hot water), internet was free and usable. Area the hostel's in is fine given the proximity to LaRambla, but would advise against late-night wandering alone. Common room exists but is somewhat minimal so would advise against for solo travellers looking to meet up with people. Decent hostel that's certainly worth the price for air-conditioning in a spanish summer.  ()
2  While this hostel had a great atmosphere, it was unbearably hot. We were in a "private" room, rather than a dorm, and shared a common area (including bathroom and kitchen) with four other rooms. Our room had no window, no air conditioning, and no fan. In July in Spain this is pretty unacceptable, especially as this place was the most expensive hostel we stayed at and it claimed to have air conditioning in the rooms. Our room was up four or five long flights of stairs, which was a nightmare if you forgot something and had to go back up them. Having said all this, it was in a central location, and the free breakfast and internet were good.  ()
5  Great place! Clean rooms and bathrooms, nice staff, feels safe. The street from Las Ramblas to the hostel is a bit shady at night, but manageable. The staff was super helpful when we had to switch hostels for one night(we didn't have reservations) and needed a place to store our stuff. We didn't stay in one of the pod rooms, but the other rooms were fine. Good place and pretty okay price. Free internet!!  ()
5  Overall a great hostel. Everything was very clean; I would almost have eaten off of the bathroom floors (almost, it's still a bathroom!). Breakfast was ok (no one watching how much you took), and the staff were really friendly. The rooms had curtains around the beds (in most of them) and a coin-operated locker big enough to put just about any pack into. The neighborhood wasn't super clean, but all of the old part of Barcelona that I saw was dirty, so I won't complain. It's quite close to Las Ramblas and two Metro stops. I would definitely stay there again.  ()