HI - Bacharach - Burg Stahleck Hostel

A castle hostel high on a cliff overlooking the Rhine river valley. A beautiful place with beautiful views. There is a central courtyard and a bar downstairs that also serves breakfast. The rooms all look new or newly renovated with comfortable bunks and clean bathrooms. The staff are nice enough and don't mind if you want to eat or drink in the courtyard.

Make a reservation as the hostel can fill up with school groups (it's an HI hostel). Young kids can be noisy, although most rooms are tucked away from foot traffic and sound. The biggest downside about this hostel is the hike to it. Although it's not difficult to find, from town it is about a 15-minute climb up stairs. Not too fun in summer while wearing a pack. In a pinch, you can run down the stairs and make the train station in about 10 minutes. Also, there is an early, 10 PM curfew at which the castle gates are closed (though there's not much to do in Bacharach late night). The bar inside stays open until midnight and you are always free to roam the castle grounds.

by David
How is HI - Bacharach - Burg Stahleck Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Pretty Nice So this is the first hostel I've ever stayed at. Thought it was awesome that it is a castle also. We didn't get to see much of the quiet town down below and it seemed as if we had just missed a sort of harvest festival. Quaint, charming, lovely trails to ride horses on or simply walk through. Everyone we ran into were great, I would surely recommend anyone to stay there, definitely when it's during the warmer season. Would I ever go back? Maybe, maybe not. I'd consider if I happen to be passing through by chance -- but there many other castles to see in Germany.  , USA ()
5  This hostel is the best.perfectly charming. Gorgeous views of the Rhine below. I could have sat on the ramparts of this castle and enjoyed the view of the Rhine below for hours. So peaceful.My husband and I enjoyed some wine from the Castle and relaxed in the courtyard watching the boats sail by below.What a romantic setting. The location high up on the hill makes walking up a bit of a climb but well worth the view at each step. Close to train station.We came by car and drove up the road from the back and had ample parking in lot and on street.There was a bus stop for local traffic there also. l.The room we had was in a tower all by ourselves .It had a sink,bunkbeds and a gorgeous view. The bathrooms and showers were down the hall and were clean.It did have a light that if you didn't press it on again it would go out (energy saver) which was a bit unnerving at first. The common spaces that were a room for games some vending machines for snacks and even a room for children to play stocked with puzzles and building blocks and toys for younger children. The food was served cafeteria style and we had breakfast which was a huge choice of fresh fruit,eggs,meat, breads and hot chocolate, juices and coffee.While we were there only one other adult and a visiting school group was in the other area of the castle, so our sleep was quiet. As we are not smokers ,it was delightful not to have to deal with smokers. It was as if we had the place to ourselves.The staff was efficient,spoke English and were friendly and helpful Summary:l this was a great experience in a gorgeous setting that I would recommend as a must do for castle lovers and Rhine travelers.  , united states ()
5   loved it It has been 50 years since I stayed here during a two month long bicycle tour of Europe. I was 18 years old and full of adventure. What I remember most is the long trek up the steps to the hostel. I'm sure it was a bit more primitive in 1959 - but still one of the favorite places I stayed during that trip through England, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and France. I would love to go back.  , usa ()
4   Very nice accommodations above the town of Bacharach We stayed at the Hostel in Aug. of 2009 with a group of music students and everyone had a great time. You accessed the Hostel by either car or you hiked up about three-hundred fifty steps from the town of Bacharach. Accommodations were clean and comfortable, although some rooms are small in size. Food in the cafeteria was very good and we always had enough to eat. Views over the Rhine River Valley were fantastic and could be enjoyed from the Hostel's courtyard, while enjoying a glass of wine. The Hostel staff were always helpful. Other guests ranged from other adults, young adults, to families with young kids. The quiet time after 10 p.m. was always adhered to by both the staff and quests. I would return to the Hostel as the experience was an enjoyable one.  , United States / California ()
5   What a wonderful experience it was! I visited the hostel as a student twenty years ago (1989). Now I am forty years old. I remember what a beautiful hostel it was and hope to visit again. My father also stayed at the same hostel in the 1950s.  , USA ()
5   Awesome! I, along with my husband and four-year-old son, stayed one night in this wonderful castle/hostel in the fall of 2007. This was our first trip to Europe and we didn't know what to expect at a hostel. Two weeks before arriving in the Rhineland we had stayed at a hostel in Rothenbug, and found the experience their lovely as well. But I think this hostel was more fun since it is in an old castle and they also have a playroom with toys for young kids to play in. We loved everything about it and would have stayed longer but there was no room available. Hope to go back again someday.  , USA ()
5   Outstanding This was our first Hostel experience and it was wonderful. I am a mom in her forties and went with my eighteen-year-old son and his eighteen-year-old buddy. We all loved this place. We met so many nice people! The employees were also very helpful and nice. Everything was super clean, the views were amazing, we had seven windows in our room that looked out all over the vineyards on the hills as well as cool views of the castle, itself. The breakfast was very nice, as was the dinner. My boys ran up the stairs with their backpacks and I took a taxi. Great family place as well as great for single travelers. Not your typical "college" student youth hostel. Burg Stahleck was a great start to a two-week tour of Germany.  , USA ()
4   Cool hostel, but take a taxi with your backpack! This hostel was very cool. Super clean and modern. I was pleasantly surprised. Bacharach was beautiful and cozy, worth a one night stay. Lots of German families at this hostel, but the pub in the basement was full of families playing cards. There is no night life in town and I felt weird having a beer down in the hostel pub with another backpacker surrounded by happy families. But, do not try to hike up that foot path if you have a large backpack. It almost killed us, plus it was pouring in the rain. I twisted my ankle and suffered for a week. We arrived on a Saturday and there was no taxi service available on that day. If there is no taxi service, do not attempt that crazy steep hill with a backpack or luggage. You have been warned!  , USA ()