Hostel Mancini

Naples unfortunately lives up to its seedy reputation (we arrived after dark, which seems to be a good thing so we didn't have to see everything), but thankfully Hostel Mancini is really nice, and the man running the office is great and caring.

The hostel is located very near the train station, which is very convenient. Directions given are great and easy to follow. The sign out front that points to the hostel is covered by a tree while walking up to it, but once you are right in front, it's easy to see. Hostel Mancini's name is listed on the doorbells, and they buzz you right up. The neighborhood is not the best, and is a little worse than the typical train station area, but the hostel itself feels safe. They recommend a great pizza place right around the corner, which we found great for our first Naples pizza.

The dorm room area is located across the hall from the office and kitchen area. There is no key to get into the dorm area, you have to use the doorbell and then the office buzzes you into the dorm area. You have an actual key for your room. There is one shared bathroom (toilet and shower) for the entire floor, and its is quite small and difficult to change in. There is a mop in the bathroom so you can clean up the wet floor after your shower. There is a sink and mirror in the dorm room, and two lockers. Beds are bunk beds.

In the office there is a small TV, connected to the kitchen area. There is free breakfast in the morning with cereal, fruit, and coffee; there is a nice dining area with lots of chairs. There is a lot of information available in the office. The common area makes it easy to be social. There is no luggage storage area, but you can leave your bags in the office area for the day at no charge. Free Wi-Fi is available in the kitchen area, and a separate one is available in the dorm room area.

Overall, the hostel is a nice reprieve from the city. The guy in the office is nice and kind, and reminded us to keep a money belt and keep our money in many separate areas, and keep valuables hidden. The common area is great and comfortable, and everyone is nice. If traveling as a solo female, maybe try to stay in a better area, but with at least a few people in your group, staying here is great. The hostel is great, but the neighborhood is seedy.
by Korene
February 2013

From the street
stairs to rooms door
Mancini Rooms
kitchen area
kitchen breakfast bar
beds, desk, lockers, in room.
sink in room

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Hostel Mancini" at Via P.S. Mancini, 33.)

Via P.S. Mancini, 33, Naples (Napoli), Campania, Italy
40.851654, 14.265962
+39 081 553 6731
+39 0815536731

How is Hostel Mancini rated on other websites?

This hostel is not located in the nicest of neighborhoods, which ultimately gave me the wrong impression of naples. I did not feel comfortable walking around in that area during the night. I moved to another hostel during my stay in naples which changed the whole impression i originally had. This apartment style hostel is ok if you need a cheap place to stay for a night or two but if are looking for a more family style environment where you can interact with other guests this is not where i would suggest. The place is pretty small, not leaving much open spaces for people to connect with each other. Also the shower had a mildew smell, which was not the most pleasant.
Lauren H
Age 23, usa
Very nice!!
Near the central station. Very kind staffs. Clean. Safe. These were the points I really appreciated. The staffs were always friendly and gave me advice about the places to visit and nice restaurants, also the way how to treat my important belongings. It helped me and I could enjoy the stay in Naples. Thank you very much!
Kazumi From Japan (日本の方にお薦めです!!)
Very friendly staff! safe, clean hostel! I recomend it!
The owner and his wife are very very very nice people, helpful, warm and friendly, and made us feel safe there and welcome. He gave us directions what to visit, and where are the best places to eat good neapolitan food. Also the location was very good for us, right near the train station. The hostel is also very clean and considering this was my first hostel experience, I hope the others will be as nice as this was. I was very impressed by neapolitan people in general, by their warm in friendly attitude, and I felt really happy within my stay there. Although people warned us about Napoli, my impression of it was totally different. I even liked the sights better than Rome! Napoli will stay in my heart forever.
An ok place to stay
I only stayed here for one night after three nights in a different hostel in Naples. The hostel is in a really, really shady area of Napoli, near to the train station. This provides a bad first expression of this beautiful city to many people, three American girls in my room were to afraid to go out. The guy managing the hostel when I was there seemed rather grumpy, but was helpful. The dorm room was well equipped with its own bathroom and they have a large kitchen you can use where also an ok breakfast is served. However everything seemed a bit gloomy and run down. Next to the usual backpacker crowd there were lots of young Japanese people (must be featured in a guide or booking site) and two unpleasant 50+ years old guys (the "pensione"-part).
Good, for Naples, very good.
For naples it's good. general advice is simply dont go to naples. but if you have to this is a good hostel. warning -- dont arrive at night, the place is really sketchy at night. also note:, hostel on left hand side when arriving from train station. hard to see gate and sign. you have to cross a very busy, traffic-clogged square first.
If you are looking for a place near the main train station to get in and out early in the morning or late at night, Hostel Pensione Mancini may be a good option. The train station can be easily reached on foot. The hostel is located in the middle of a busy and crowded market in Piazza Garibaldi. Look for the big sign of the hostel on the street before reaching the supermarket at the end of the street. The sign can be easily missed since the street is overcrowded with market vendors and people. The surrounding neighborhood is absolutely noisy, filthy, and hectic. Perhaps it might give you a sense of truly being in the core of Naples. However, for the price of dorm room, the hostel does not offer the fullest comparable services. It is a small hostel run by a family. They have three rooms for the dorm rooms. Each room has different number of beds (no bunk beds). The hostel description indicates that dorm rooms come with free lockers, however, the two dorm rooms on one wing do not have any lockers. There is only one bathroom and toilet for everyone. But because of the hostel's small size, it's manageable. It's not immaculately clean -- some soap scum on the tiles -- but fairly good for old European buildings. There is no separate common space, but the kitchen serves the both purposes. It's sufficiently roomy and cozy. It is fully equipped to cook and hang out with people to chat. Free breakfast is provided from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. According to their brochure, free cappuccino, espresso coffee, and hot chocolate are available for breakfast, but they were not available when we asked for it in the morning. They do provide instant coffee for breakfast though. There is one computer for free internet for guests. However, no wireless internet is available at the hostel. As it is a family business, you see the same folks at the reception and around the hostel. The staff come across as unfriendly, perhaps as a result of the cultural difference or maybe something else. Although some of the staff do not speak English very well, they seem to be concerned about the safety of their guests. Upon request, they provide helpful advice and tips about Naples. Overall, the rooms are decently clean, and the hostel offers basic services of typical hostels. Its close location to the main train station can be ideal for some travelers. If you don't mind being in the center of busy, seedy, noisy, and filthy area of the city, this hostel may offer a decent place for a short stopover to meet other people and explore the city center.
Bonnie Kim
  I spent two nights here, with a week's stay in between somewhere at the coast further up. Everything was ok. I made reservations long before and it was all there. I slept there with my son and wife in a (small) room, where an extra bed was made. The shower was around the corner, you may have to wait your turn, but it was clean. Also it was cheap (Eur.67/night for three people in one room, May 4 and May 12, 2007), including a funny breakfast-like thing. Being outside is another story, but you must realise that Naples is like a living animal and you just have to jump into the city's bloodstream to have an unforgettable experience.
Urban Titulaer
(The Netherlands)
  It's very close to the main train station, and easy to get to from the airport. The area is a bit dodgy, but I felt safe in the hostel. There were lockers in the rooms, and the beds and bathrooms were clean. There was lots of information available and the staff was helpful and friendly, although one of them did have the tendency to come into our room to chat at random moments. There are several pizza places nearby, and a big supermarket a couple buildings away.

Rate Hostel Mancini