Hostel Mancini

Naples unfortunately lives up to its seedy reputation (we arrived after dark, which seems to be a good thing so we didn't have to see everything), but thankfully Hostel Mancini is really nice, and the man running the office is great and caring.

The hostel is located very near the train station, which is very convenient. Directions given are great and easy to follow. The sign out front that points to the hostel is covered by a tree while walking up to it, but once you are right in front, it's easy to see. Hostel Mancini's name is listed on the doorbells, and they buzz you right up. The neighborhood is not the best, and is a little worse than the typical train station area, but the hostel itself feels safe. They recommend a great pizza place right around the corner, which we found great for our first Naples pizza.

The dorm room area is located across the hall from the office and kitchen area. There is no key to get into the dorm area, you have to use the doorbell and then the office buzzes you into the dorm area. You have an actual key for your room. There is one shared bathroom (toilet and shower) for the entire floor, and its is quite small and difficult to change in. There is a mop in the bathroom so you can clean up the wet floor after your shower. There is a sink and mirror in the dorm room, and two lockers. Beds are bunk beds.

In the office there is a small TV, connected to the kitchen area. There is free breakfast in the morning with cereal, fruit, and coffee; there is a nice dining area with lots of chairs. There is a lot of information available in the office. The common area makes it easy to be social. There is no luggage storage area, but you can leave your bags in the office area for the day at no charge. Free Wi-Fi is available in the kitchen area, and a separate one is available in the dorm room area.

Summary

Overall, the hostel is a nice reprieve from the city. The guy in the office is nice and kind, and reminded us to keep a money belt and keep our money in many separate areas, and keep valuables hidden. The common area is great and comfortable, and everyone is nice. If traveling as a solo female, maybe try to stay in a better area, but with at least a few people in your group, staying here is great. The hostel is great, but the neighborhood is seedy.

by Korene
February 2013

From the streetstairs to rooms doorMancini Rooms
kitchen areakitchen breakfast barkitchen
beds, desk, lockers, in room.sink in roombathroom.
How is Hostel Mancini rated on other websites?
Hostel Mancini Reviews from the Web
5   Very nice!! Near the central station. Very kind staffs. Clean. Safe. These were the points I really appreciated. The staffs were always friendly and gave me advice about the places to visit and nice restaurants, also the way how to treat my important belongings. It helped me and I could enjoy the stay in Naples. Thank you very much!  , Japanese ()
4   Very friendly staff! safe, clean hostel! I recomend it! The owner and his wife are very very very nice people, helpful, warm and friendly, and made us feel safe there and welcome. He gave us directions what to visit, and where are the best places to eat good neapolitan food. Also the location was very good for us, right near the train station. The hostel is also very clean and considering this was my first hostel experience, I hope the others will be as nice as this was. I was very impressed by neapolitan people in general, by their warm in friendly attitude, and I felt really happy within my stay there. Although people warned us about Napoli, my impression of it was totally different. I even liked the sights better than Rome! Napoli will stay in my heart forever.  , Romania ()
3   An ok place to stay I only stayed here for one night after three nights in a different hostel in Naples. The hostel is in a really, really shady area of Napoli, near to the train station. This provides a bad first expression of this beautiful city to many people, three American girls in my room were to afraid to go out. The guy managing the hostel when I was there seemed rather grumpy, but was helpful. The dorm room was well equipped with its own bathroom and they have a large kitchen you can use where also an ok breakfast is served. However everything seemed a bit gloomy and run down. Next to the usual backpacker crowd there were lots of young Japanese people (must be featured in a guide or booking site) and two unpleasant 50+ years old guys (the "pensione"-part).  , Germany ()
4   Good, for Naples, very good. For naples it's good. general advice is simply dont go to naples. but if you have to this is a good hostel. warning -- dont arrive at night, the place is really sketchy at night. also note:, hostel on left hand side when arriving from train station. hard to see gate and sign. you have to cross a very busy, traffic-clogged square first.  , canada ()
5  I spent two nights here, with a week's stay in between somewhere at the coast further up. Everything was ok. I made reservations long before and it was all there. I slept there with my son and wife in a (small) room, where an extra bed was made. The shower was around the corner, you may have to wait your turn, but it was clean. Also it was cheap (Eur.67/night for three people in one room, May 4 and May 12, 2007), including a funny breakfast-like thing. Being outside is another story, but you must realise that Naples is like a living animal and you just have to jump into the city's bloodstream to have an unforgettable experience.  , The Netherlands ()
4  It's very close to the main train station, and easy to get to from the airport. The area is a bit dodgy, but I felt safe in the hostel. There were lockers in the rooms, and the beds and bathrooms were clean. There was lots of information available and the staff was helpful and friendly, although one of them did have the tendency to come into our room to chat at random moments. There are several pizza places nearby, and a big supermarket a couple buildings away.  ()
4  If you're going to Pompeii, Sorento or the Amalfi coast in general, Naples is the place to start, and this hostel is great. Lelo is awesome. The hostel is in kind of a sketchy place, I mean where in Naples isn't? However the hostel is very welcoming, safe and clean, the owner is very knowledgeable and kind, it's a cozy place, clean and relaxing, and ask about Da Michele and Trianon, best pizza in Naples. So if you're going to Naples stay here, it's near the train station, but my advice is to not go to Naples.  ()
5  Great place!! The owner and other staff were the most helpful out of any hostel I have been to. They explained the city, where to go, where to eat, and what to do. The beds/toilet/rooms were very clean. They also have a TV in each room, which is good when it rains. I met many good people there, and I highly recommend it. P.S. I have some pictures from there. I have also stayed at hostels in Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Cinque Terre, Venice, and Dublin. So if you need a recommendation where to or where not to stay send me an e-mail... Dodgecoltracer@aol.com  ()