Ottawa Backpackers Inn

Ottawa Backpackers Inn is just like a small-town hostel, except it's located in Canada's capital of Ottawa. The Backpackers Inn looks a little rundown from the outside with the old, warn couches on the porch, but don't let that fool you -- inside you'll find an environment that is lacking in the sterility of other hostels.

The living area is very comfy and you'd be forgiven for trading in the bunk bed for a soft lounge chair. The room is stocked with board games, books, DVDs, and a TV complete with cable. It's a good area to socialise and is a positive of the hostel. A word of warning if you're allergic to cats -- you might consider completely avoiding the downstairs area. The resident cat is known spend the night on the couch with guests and occasionally can be seen jumping across the dining room table. Apart from the cat hair, the hostel is generally clean, although some upstairs bathrooms are rather old and a little cramped (it is an old house after all).

Dorm rooms are coed or same sex depending on demand and consist of standard bunk beds. Heating is well controlled and there are dimmers on the lights in the dorm which is a great feature. Parking is available directly behind the hostel for $5 per night -- not a bad deal, considering you are minutes away from the canals and parliament house. There is also a twenty-four-hour food store and pizza shop located within easy walking distance, along with various clubs and bars. You will need a code to re-enter the hostel door and the shoes off rule applies.

Kitchen areas are clean (regardless of the fact you might find the cat eating leftovers!) and there is a noticeboard/events board which comes in handy. Internet is available at the combined reception and guest computer or available on wifi (both for free). Occasionally it's hard to find someone to check you in because there is no dedicated office, but just ask around and someone should point you in the right direction. The Ottawa Backpackers has a friendly and easygoing vibe -- if you fit this description, you'll more than likely enjoy yourself.

March 2007

How is Ottawa Backpackers Inn rated on other websites?
Ottawa Backpackers Inn Reviews from the Web
3   Average the hostel is located in an old house, my dorm room was smelly, I think they didn't use vacuum for a long time, especially under the beds. In the fridge there is not space enough for your grocery. All guests are asked to take off shoes inside the house so floor carpets need now to be changed or cleaned because they smell. Washrooms are not very clean. In general there is not much space in this house and in the evening the small living room is quite full and you cant even sit down anywhere. There are not enough showers so you must stay in line.  , Belgium ()
5   The best hostel I've visited Friendly staff and atmosphere. Tidy at all times. Excellent location. It has large common areas and is a good place to meet interesting people from around the globe. It has free lockers and a fully equipped kitchen. I haven't seen any hostel in North America, Europe, or Asia with such a friendly and cozy atmosphere. I could say the hostel is what i enjoyed the most from Ottawa. Totally recommended.  , Mexico ()
4   Good this place is cute and clean and the people are really nice, although occasionally hard to find (although a cell phone number is posted on the door if you really need to find them). parking is only $5/night right next to the hostel which is great. theres a really nice area with great views to walk around five minutes' walk from there. also i stayed in the private room in the basement which is so cute and has a TV and very accessible bathroom. great price too.  , USA ()
5  this is a really great place to stay. it is cosy. it is clean, especially the kitchen (this is really important!). the people are very friendly, very nice.  , germany ()
5  The loveliest place I ever had the pleasure to stay and work. Martin makes sure his guests are happy, content, and makes his hostel their home for a rest. OBI is like a little house where you can relax your traveling feet and just enjoy your stress-free stay whilst enjoying Ottawa's many attractions. I can't wait to go back there some day soon. Ten outta ten and then some. The alternative is to go to jail. You don't want to go to jail, do you?  ()
4  I spent one night here in '06. It's very chill and laid back. It seems pretty safe, I left my backpack in the closet and it was as I left it when I got back that night. Oh -- and the price is right too! The only problem is the area it's in. Don't walk alone at night, especially if you're a girl. Some guy tried to pick me up as a prostitute and then followed me slowly in his car. Other than that, I will definitely stay there if I ever find myself in Ottawa again.  ()
5  OBI was without doubt the best hostel I stayed at during my travels of North America and Europe. I lived in the hostel for two months -- a situation that can be pretty challenging, and possibly awful depending on the hostel. But my stay in Ottawa was great fun, and full of many fond memories. I met some amazing people at that hostel, including the staff, and there is something about that house that brings together people from different cultures and different backgrounds. It has a warm, welcoming atmosphere, and I really felt like 'part of the family' during my stay. I definitely recommend it!  ()
4  I thought this was a great hostel for the price. The staff is very friendly and the atmosphere was extremely relaxed. Parking is available (five dollars a night) and only cash is accepted as payment. The location was good -- near a supermarket (the kitchen was well-equipped), and within walking distance to the major areas of Ottawa (also close to bars, restaurants, etc.). The hostel is surrounded by other houses, and the area seemed pretty quiet. The hostel itself and the showers were clean enough and there was no curfew (there's a code to open the front door after midnt). There's a very large living room area where people hang out, as well as a backyard deck, and the front porch is filled with couches/chairs. I thought it was easy enough to meet people, because there was so much communal space. Although a lot of people seemed to be more long-term residents, having been there for weeks or months. The only downsides to the hostel were that the lockers weren't large enough to fit our big backpacks, and our stay turned out to be pretty noisy. We were in the "semi-private" room downstairs (the dorm rooms were upstairs) which I think was just as noisy as staying in a large dorm room. Of course, when you're staying in a hostel room with like ten other people, you really can't be all that surprised that things are noisy. Anyway, I would still recommend this hostel, it's a great place to chill and has a wonderful laid-back vibe, and the people are really very nice.  ()