Leonardo House

The best part about Leonardo House is its owner. Leo is extremely helpful, responds to emails, and will help you make the most of your stay in Florence by drawing out his own version of a walking tour on your city map. The hostel itself is nothing special but it is clean and you will be within walking distance of every major site in Florence.

This hostel is about a five-minute walk from the train station, on a very quiet side street. There are very few things on this road other than the hostel but it is nice that there isn't a lot of traffic or commotion. The Duomo, Piazza Signoria, Uffizi, and Ponte Vecchio are all located within walking distance and the owner, Leonardo, will be happy to show how just how to get the them. There is no parking garage but there is some street parking available for cars and bicycles. The outside of the hostel kind of blends in with the rest of the large building, be sure to look out for the small gold door bell labeled "Leonardo House." There are several bars, restaurants, ATMs, street vendors, and shopping available on the streets adjacent to the hostel.

This hostel offers bedrooms with linen and pillows included. The beds have very thick mattresses and soft blankets, which smell fresh. Some rooms have a shared patio area but there is no furniture or view from the deck so it its only purpose seems to be for smoking. The rooms are fairly large and there is a variety of old art on the walls. Every guest in the hostel shares one of two bathrooms that are located in the main hallway. Towels are not included and neither is soap. Each bathroom has one toilet and one shower, both of which seem quite roomy and very clean. The shower has a slight leak though and it is easy to soak to floor. Also, there are no windows in the bathrooms which makes them get pretty hot in a hurry.

There is no common space or kitchen here but the main hallway is pretty wide and guests sometime gather here to chat. Quiet hour is definitely enforced at this hostel but there isn't a lock-out hour. It is nice if you are looking to go to bed early and get a good night's sleep. It isn't very easy to meet other travelers or make friends here because of the lack of common area. If you are lucky enough to sit in the wide hallway with a group of other visitors then you can look at all of the pictures and letters that fill the walls. There are several photos of Leo and past guests that people have mailed him or posted to the walls over the years.

Summary

Basically, this hostel is great for the location and service. It is refreshing to meet a friendly hostel owner that truly cares about their guests, not to mention knows the best route for a filled day of sightseeing. We would not recommended this hostel to you, however, if you are looking to meet new people and stay up, partying the night away.

July 2009

How is Leonardo House rated on other websites?
Leonardo House Reviews from the Web
4  I found the whole booking in process a breeze and the guys were really nice. It was clean but best of all, very close to everything. Definitely will stay again and reccomend it to others.  ()
1  He (the owner) out of nowhere cancelled our reservation even though I confirmed four times with him (he says I never confirmed). He screamed at us and then OFFERED to give us the deposit back. When I e-mailed him and told him to reverse the charge on my card this is what he e-mailed me: "I will do it when I can, in one month or in one year. If you want it quicker you can get a lawyer. It will cost you much more and you will have that money anyhow after 10 years. So we can do it my way or you can do whatever you want. You can even call your President for military intervention."  ()
5  I found this hostel wonderful. It had a great location and the owner was very, very nice. He had the room ready for us when we arrived at 10 a.m. and we could leave our bags with him for the day when we checked out. He also provided us with a free map of the city and pointed out all the best and cheapest places to visit. The rooms were very clean and spacious. I found the washrooms very clean and found that they were cleaned on a daily basis. There were two washrooms that could be shared with the four rooms when I was there in February. I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone!  ()
3  Three of us stayed for four nights at Leonardo's House in October 2004. The location is superb for backpackers since it's situated just a few right turns from the Train Station (Firenze-Santa Maria Novella). Via Trebbio is a rather small and dark street but it is VERY quiet and you definitely won't have a problem with noise. It's centrally located and you can access everything from there. Our room (with 3 beds packed in it) was tight but manageable and very clean. The linens were spotless and changed on the second day. The two gentlemen who take care of the place (Darko and Carlo) are very friendly. Carlo cleaned the bathrooms pretty much everyday we were there and the bathrooms glistened. We knew we were reserving a non-en suite bathroom but didn't find access to them to be a problem. One note about the showers: due to their small size, the bottoms of the curtains are constantly drawn toward your legs when you shower. A trick is to direct the spray at the curtain to give yourself some room. Three keys are required to access the place so security is pretty good. The only complaint I had was that every night a lone mosquito would make its way into our room. I learned after the first night to just sleep under the covers (or wear bug repellant when you go to bed). Remember it's a guesthouse/hostel so don't expect a 3 star hotel and you'll be ok. Florence is a great city — people are generally friendly and everything is within walking distance. The markets there are spectacular, too. To save money I'd recommend shopping at the Il Centro supermercati for your water, bread, snacks, and fruits.  ()
2  We stayed here in December. The location was really handy, and the building on the oustide looks lovely, but the rooms were dirty and the showers were grotty. The bed linen was clean though. There is only one bathroom to share with 4 rooms, and the so called 'private bathroom' is simply one bathroom that has a piece of paper saying 'privito' on it, right next to the shared bathroom. Not exactly an ensuite.  ()